Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: Steve Howe has no "guitar heir"...Is Yes "done" after Steve's done?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Olorin View Post

    On that sad day when Steve is gone, or even just retired, I would not be the least surprised for Anderson to lay claim to the band and its legacy, given he already owns a significant portion of the rights (insofar as we non-attorneys can understand).

    I wouldn't bet on Anderson outlastin' Steve. A lifelong vegetarian, measured, balanced personality. Anderson has a long history of respiratory problems.
    But perhaps Anderson tourin' with all those young 40 year olds from the Geeks will give him a new lease on life. 😉😆😚
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 10-06-2022, 03:38 PM.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

      ....or they just genuinely like the current line up.....
      Which is entirely your right, my friend. I’m just agreeing with Erik in terms it being more Steve Howe’s Yes Experience and not the full spectrum Yes band that once knew so well.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Enlighten View Post

        Which is entirely your right, my friend. I’m just agreeing with Erik in terms it being more Steve Howe’s Yes Experience and not the full spectrum Yes band that once knew so well.
        But the Steve Howe yes experience would be

        Max bacon lead vocals
        oliver Wakeman keys
        dylan Howe drums
        Steve Howe guitar

        and I have no idea who he would pick for bass but not Billy Sherwood


        so sorry it’s yes

        Comment


          Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

          But the Steve Howe yes experience would be

          Max bacon lead vocals
          oliver Wakeman keys
          dylan Howe drums
          Steve Howe guitar

          and I have no idea who he would pick for bass but not Billy Sherwood


          so sorry it’s yes
          I don’t know about Max Bacon on vocals (pretty sure he’s retired from music), but I agree that if Steve was putting his own band together, it would be different. So let’s say in 2015 Yes ended when Chris died. I think Geoff would have stuck with Steve and we would have gotten Dylan Howe on drums and someone from Britain on bass (not Billy).


          Comment


            Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

            But the Steve Howe yes experience would be

            Max bacon lead vocals
            oliver Wakeman keys
            dylan Howe drums
            Steve Howe guitar

            and I have no idea who he would pick for bass but not Billy Sherwood


            so sorry it’s yes
            A label or a Roger Dean cover doesn’t make it so.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Enlighten View Post

              A label or a Roger Dean cover doesn’t make it so.
              No but a collective musicians do


              davison will with the new album have the second most albums out of all 4 lead singers

              billy will be on 6ish yes albums with the new one
              howe will be on more then any other yes member
              geoff will be on 6 albums


              again we could talk statistics all night but the truth is it’s yes

              Comment


                Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

                No but a collective musicians do


                davison will with the new album have the second most albums out of all 4 lead singers

                billy will be on 6ish yes albums with the new one
                howe will be on more then any other yes member
                geoff will be on 6 albums


                again we could talk statistics all night but the truth is it’s yes
                You’re talking statistics and having a conversation with yourself. I’m talking about timeless, epic, unforgettable music.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Enlighten View Post

                  Which is entirely your right, my friend. I’m just agreeing with Erik in terms it being more Steve Howe’s Yes Experience and not the full spectrum Yes band that once knew so well.
                  I would agree, there’s something to be said for sticking to the mission of a band. There’s always new influences and updated versions, but regardless of who’s in the band or who’s leading it there should always be a sensibility to expectations of loyal fans, imo. That could be subjective, so I’m giving Steve one more chance😅

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

                    No but a collective musicians do


                    davison will with the new album have the second most albums out of all 4 lead singers

                    billy will be on 6ish yes albums with the new one
                    howe will be on more then any other yes member
                    geoff will be on 6 albums


                    again we could talk statistics all night but the truth is it’s yes
                    Squire is on more studio albums than any other Yes member even with Howe’s being on the next one if we are talking statistics.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by josuev80 View Post

                      Squire is on more studio albums than any other Yes member even with Howe’s being on the next one if we are talking statistics.
                      And it was Squire who was one of the prime movers behind choosing to continue on without Anderson in 2008. He also, in addition to likely being one of the three people in the band with final approval over bringing in Benoit David, was probably the member of Yes who had the most to do with Jon Davison joining the band in 2012.

                      Additionally, Squire was known to have pushed for more frequent new studio releases, and handpicked his protege, Billy Sherwood, to succeed him in Yes.

                      I don't really have much doubt that Chris Squire would be for this band continuing as Yes and making new Yes music. It's what he basically told Billy Sherwood to do. Squire personally selected the band's lead singer and bass player!

                      Steve Howe was of course in the band during the entire post-Anderson 2008-present stint, and so these moves and requests were made by Squire knowing that Steve was, and might continue to be, there.

                      It's actually surprising when you think about how unstable Yes' lineups have been through the years that four of the five people in the band in 2022 are exactly who Squire had been playing with or selected to replace him in 2014.

                      The only one in the band who doesn't meet that criteria is Jay Schellen (If he's been elevated to being an official member of the group from touring musician who's on stage playing with the band at every show), but I don't think there's any reason to believe that Squire would have objected to the band going forward with Schellen.

                      I think this is a situation where Squire lived long enough and said enough on this subject for fans to be pretty confident that he'd be happy to see Yes continuing on as Yes and making new music.
                      Last edited by downbyariver; 10-06-2022, 11:09 PM.
                      "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

                        And it was Squire who was one of the prime movers behind choosing to continue on without Anderson in 2008. He also, in addition to likely being one of the three people in the band with final approval over bringing in Benoit David, was probably the member of Yes who had the most to do with Jon Davison joining the band in 2012.

                        Additionally, Squire was known to have pushed for more frequent new studio releases, and handpicked his protege, Billy Sherwood, to succeed him in Yes.

                        I don't really have much doubt that Chris Squire would be for this band continuing as Yes and making new Yes music. It's what he basically told Billy Sherwood to do. Squire personally selected the band's lead singer and bass player!

                        Steve Howe was of course in the band during the entire post-Anderson 2008-present stint, and so these moves and requests were made by Squire knowing that Steve was, and might continue to be, there.

                        It's actually surprising when you think about how unstable Yes' lineups have been through the years that four of the five people in the band in 2022 are exactly who Squire had been playing with or selected to replace him in 2014.

                        The only one in the band who doesn't meet that criteria is Jay Schellen (If he's been elevated to being an official member of the group from touring musician who's on stage playing with the band at every show), but I don't think there's any reason to believe that Squire would have objected to the band going forward with Schellen.

                        I think this is a situation where Squire lived long enough and said enough on this subject for fans to be pretty confident that he'd be happy to see Yes continuing on as Yes and making new music.
                        But. C'mon maaaan. The Seventies??!!!?? 😭

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

                          And it was Squire who was one of the prime movers behind choosing to continue on without Anderson in 2008. He also, in addition to likely being one of the three people in the band with final approval over bringing in Benoit David, was probably the member of Yes who had the most to do with Jon Davison joining the band in 2012.

                          Additionally, Squire was known to have pushed for more frequent new studio releases, and handpicked his protege, Billy Sherwood, to succeed him in Yes.

                          I don't really have much doubt that Chris Squire would be for this band continuing as Yes and making new Yes music. It's what he basically told Billy Sherwood to do. Squire personally selected the band's lead singer and bass player!

                          Steve Howe was of course in the band during the entire post-Anderson 2008-present stint, and so these moves and requests were made by Squire knowing that Steve was, and might continue to be, there.

                          It's actually surprising when you think about how unstable Yes' lineups have been through the years that four of the five people in the band in 2022 are exactly who Squire had been playing with or selected to replace him in 2014.

                          The only one in the band who doesn't meet that criteria is Jay Schellen (If he's been elevated to being an official member of the group from touring musician who's on stage playing with the band at every show), but I don't think there's any reason to believe that Squire would have objected to the band going forward with Schellen.

                          I think this is a situation where Squire lived long enough and said enough on this subject for fans to be pretty confident that he'd be happy to see Yes continuing on as Yes and making new music.
                          I really don't think one can draw that conclusion with all definitety.

                          Yes, he worked with Davison and very much supported him, yes he chose Sherwood as his successor. So one can certainly say that he wanted things to continue at the time of his passing. But that's seven years ago. There's no way of telling he would for instance have agreed with the musical direction of The Quest, which is very much a Steve Howe led album, based in a Steve Howe musical vision. The more time passes, the weaker the argument "this is what/how Squire would have wanted it to go" becomes in my opinion.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Enlighten View Post

                            You’re talking statistics and having a conversation with yourself. I’m talking about timeless, epic, unforgettable music.
                            Which to me the quest is full of sorry but the new album rocks and I am hoping The blind owl or whatever it’s called rocks too

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

                              But the Steve Howe yes experience would be

                              Max bacon lead vocals
                              oliver Wakeman keys
                              dylan Howe drums
                              Steve Howe guitar

                              and I have no idea who he would pick for bass but not Billy Sherwood


                              so sorry it’s yes
                              Annie Haslam on vocals?

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Enlighten View Post
                                A label or a Roger Dean cover doesn’t make it so.
                                A label does make it so (within the structures of modern capitalism, with which you are free to disagree).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X