Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: Steve Howe has no "guitar heir"...Is Yes "done" after Steve's done?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frumious B View Post
    I swear I read that Wakeman and Howe had lunch together at least once in the last couple of years.
    I remember reading an interview (link on here?) with Wakeman earlier this year. Rick said that he was having lunch with Steve to discuss how to mark the 50th anniversary of CTTE. I got the impression that Rick wanted some sort of reunion (gig/tour?) with Steve, Jon and Alan to celebrate it. Shortly afterwards, Yes Official's Relayer tour became there CTTE 50th Anniversary tour. Then Alan passed....

Comment

Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

I was one of those fans that as long as Chris was leading the band with Alan and Steve, I didn't mind too much whoever was playing synth or singing. There was still significant Yes magic and authenticity as well as a real Yes performance experience. Now I read of the possibilities of a Yes after Steve is gone? I've become the fan I never thought I'd be. I think it should be called Steve Howe's Yes Experience now.... The authentic Yes experience is now over. No reason why they can't celebrate the amazing music of Yes, and what a joy to still see Steve play, but c'mon, it's just not Yes anymore. It's Steve with guys playing and acting like members past... Yep, I'm that guy now. (*ducks head*) LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	147
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	28018​​
      This 100%

Comment

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

I was one of those fans that as long as Chris was leading the band with Alan and Steve, I didn't mind too much whoever was playing synth or singing. There was still significant Yes magic and authenticity as well as a real Yes performance experience. Now I read of the possibilities of a Yes after Steve is gone? I've become the fan I never thought I'd be. I think it should be called Steve Howe's Yes Experience now.... The authentic Yes experience is now over. No reason why they can't celebrate the amazing music of Yes, and what a joy to still see Steve play, but c'mon, it's just not Yes anymore. It's Steve with guys playing and acting like members past... Yep, I'm that guy now. (*ducks head*) LOL

No, I'm that guy. You can't be that guy, I'm that guy...
        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	31 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	28018​​

Howe, Downes, Sherwood and Schellen are, or have been, in Yes and Asia so I'd call it YAsia.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
            Howe, Downes, Sherwood and Schellen are, or have been, in Yes and Asia so I'd call it YAsia.​
            Generally speaking, acts use whichever name that (a) they are contractually able to call themselves and (b) that will sell most tickets/albums. This is not going to change. There's no point pretending it will change. It is antithetical to the nature of modern capitalism to expect it to change.

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

Generally speaking, acts use whichever name that (a) they are contractually able to call themselves and (b) that will sell most tickets/albums. This is not going to change. There's no point pretending it will change. It is antithetical to the nature of modern capitalism to expect it to change.
              Of course they will. I wasn't being serious. There is still value, even if it has dropped in recent years, in the Yes and Asia brand names.

If Howe retires (and no RRHOF members in the band) it is likely that Downes, Sherwood, Davison and Schellen will continue to record/tour as Yes if they can. It's also possible that Sherwood could switch to lead guitar and a new bassist could join.

As you commented recently, it would hard to think of such a band as Yes but it will depend (as usual) on the money it can generate from the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post

I remember reading an interview (link on here?) with Wakeman earlier this year. Rick said that he was having lunch with Steve to discuss how to mark the 50th anniversary of CTTE. I got the impression that Rick wanted some sort of reunion (gig/tour?) with Steve, Jon and Alan to celebrate it. Shortly afterwards, Yes Official's Relayer tour became there CTTE 50th Anniversary tour. Then Alan passed....
                That's good to hear, relations certainly did not look very good at all at the RRHOF, nor in Steves book where he had a few digs at Rick.
                CHECK OUT MY BAND SAHARA SKY AT.. https://open.spotify.com/artist/6Vl3kHvkM19m2PdFRFRsr1 🙂

Comment

What Rick said is that they had planned to have lunch together in the forseeing future. However there was never a follow up from either of them whether it really happened.

Comment

I have been up close and personal, watching and listening to Steve play for decades. When the time comes, "I got this!" I mean how hard can it be? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by luvyesmusic View Post
                      I have been up close and personal, watching and listening to Steve play for decades. When the time comes, "I got this!" I mean how hard can it be? ;-)
                      You got this, Rob. Playing White Car and Cans and Brahms will be a cinch.

Comment

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

Spot on and anyone who takes issue with this stance is either in denial or so blinded by nostalgia that they can’t see the forest for the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by luvyesmusic View Post
                          Hard.

When we played at the Boston gathering I had to learn All Good People for the gig. But complications arose and I never really sat down and learned it like the original album track is played. I figured *I'll just wing it* and try to "learn" it while playing it.

Boy was I wrong.

And now after REALLY learning it note-for-note to TYA's original studio version, I can say that it was INSANE to think that I could just play that without having a clue as to where my hands should go.

I
                          N
                          S
                          A
                          N
                          E

And I could sing to you that solo note-for-note - with no problems whatsoever.

But actually playing it?

It's actually one of Steve's trickiest solos.

So familiarity might work for other bands' guitar solos, but absolutely NOT Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Enlighten View Post

Spot on and anyone who takes issue with this stance is either in denial or so blinded by nostalgia that they can’t see the forest for the trees.
                            ....or they just genuinely like the current line up.....

Comment

Also, playing difficult progressive rock on any instrument is all about programming yourself for anticipation. If you wait and listen to the song as you're playing it, you will lose your chance to nail it in the correct place. I fully understand those faces Steve makes while playing. This is not autopilot music. Never was, and never will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Enlighten View Post
                                Now I'm imagining Yes covering "A Forest" by The Cure!

It's actually got some rather nifty lead guitar solo work from Robert Smith.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled programming...
                                Last edited by BillGuitar; 10-06-2022, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X