Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: Steve Howe has no "guitar heir"...Is Yes "done" after Steve's done?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yesed View Post

I dont know the story behind Rick and Magnification. But he did perform the material live with enthusiasm. It would have been better with him in the studio at the time, I agree.
    Wakeman has said he would have liked to have been included in the project but I believe with uncertainty that Mr. Squire and Howe said no.

The version of In the Presence done in the Full Circle tour was wonderful. Yes you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

I feel we've had the best - and that was substantial, ground breaking, enduring and beautiful - that these musicians were able to collectively create some considerable time ago, and I'm content, more than content, privileged I suppose, to have had that and to able to return to it repeatedly, find new things in it, to continue to appreciate it and be thankful for it, and not feel a need for more of it now. I feel no selfish longing that these aging creators of music past should reunite and try and reinvent their previous accomplishments.
      Yeah agree with all that, was just expressing its not surprising a lot of people on here would like to see some kind of happy reunion/closure of the 2 leading lights of Yes before its over.
      I'm more than happy with the albums and live dvds of Yes I have and live shows I've attended, anything more these days is a nice bonus to an incredible run they've had.
      CHECK OUT MY BAND SAHARA SKY AT.. https://open.spotify.com/artist/6Vl3kHvkM19m2PdFRFRsr1 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by TommyTopographic View Post

Yeah agree with all that, was just expressing its not surprising a lot of people on here would like to see some kind of happy reunion/closure of the 2 leading lights of Yes before its over.
        I'm more than happy with the albums and live dvds of Yes I have and live shows I've attended, anything more these days is a nice bonus to an incredible run they've had.
        The thing is, as Henry has pointed out a few times, we had reunions, 1996 was a reunion, 2002-2004 was a reunion, RRHOF was a reunion (oke, short and not very happy, but still). When is the point of enough reunions and closure? I bet if they came together for a few shows and then went their ways again, in about a year people would again be like "Oh, come on, one more last time".......

Comment

My view is the potential returns on such an undertaking are already vanishingly small. I think a tour of any duration on that basis is out of the question, though perhaps some kind of online event, something similar to the Acoustic thing back in 2003 (4?), with assorted alumni participating in various combinations, is doable in theory? Not acoustic though, doing it full on.
          Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
          Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

I don’t expect to see Rick touring the world with a band again. He’ll do ERE shows in the UK and piano solo shows in more places, but I don’t think he wants to do any big touring anymore.

My impression is that it’s more likely for Steve to work with Jon again than Rick. There seems to be some very bad feelings between Rick and Steve, but at least Steve appeared on 1000 Hands. But touring together? There’s no way that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by JMKUSA View Post
              I don’t expect to see Rick touring the world with a band again. He’ll do ERE shows in the UK and piano solo shows in more places, but I don’t think he wants to do any big touring anymore.

My impression is that it’s more likely for Steve to work with Jon again than Rick. There seems to be some very bad feelings between Rick and Steve, but at least Steve appeared on 1000 Hands. But touring together? There’s no way that happens.
              Rick will tour if his healthy is strong enough, he likes the band's line-up and the financial guarantees are acceptable. I have no idea if there are bad feelings between Rick and Steve. When ARW were touring, there were a few very silly comments that obviously soured relationships. If rifts between current and ex Yes members still exist, only they know if or how they can be mended.

I'd pay big money to see a line-up that includes Anderson, Wakeman, Howe and/or Rabin before they retire. They can call the band Yes or anything they want. If Steve and Trevor are not interested, Jon and Rick will know suitable guitarists, e.g. Sherwood, Haun or Stolt, who are up to the job. Pomeroy would be the obvious choice for bass.

A Yes with none of the RRHOF members would not be worthy of the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                Rick will tour if his healthy is strong enough, he likes the band's line-up and the financial guarantees are acceptable. I have no idea if there are bad feelings between Rick and Steve. When ARW were touring, there were a few very silly comments that obviously soured relationships. If rifts between current and ex Yes members still exist, only they know if or how they can be mended.

I'd pay big money to see a line-up that includes Anderson, Wakeman, Howe and/or Rabin before they retire. They can call the band Yes or anything they want. If Steve and Trevor are not interested, Jon and Rick will know suitable guitarists, e.g. Sherwood, Haun or Stolt, who are up to the job. Pomeroy would be the obvious choice for bass.

A Yes with none of the RRHOF members would not be worthy of the name.
                A Yes with none of the RRHOF members would be an odd thing to see. Watching the Alan White tribute show, seeing Downes/Sherwood/Davison/Schellen/Perdomo/Haug (or thereabouts) performing, I thought, 'This is a very good band who I would happily see live. It is a line-up with a unique connectedness to Yes. But is it Yes?'

We have had many Yes reunions, more than the Led Zeppelin fans got, more than the Pink Floyd fans, more than the Genesis fans. We've been spoilt as Yes fans. If we get another, great, but it's not something I pine for. So, is it likely?

If it happens, I think it would have to be based on Anderson and Howe agreeing to do something, and then Wakeman being persuaded to be involved too. I think ARW is history. Maybe Wakeman guests on a Rabin project or vice versa, which would be interesting, but they wouldn't call it Yes.​ If Anderson and Wakeman wanted to do something together... well, they would've announced it by now, wouldn't they? And they haven't. Maybe Anderson guests on something Rabin does or vice versa. I can't see Wakeman doing something with Howe without Anderson. Kaye might guest with the current Yes again: that's probably the most likely way we see 2 of the Union 8 re-united. But who knows? They've surprised us before.

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

A Yes with none of the RRHOF members would be an odd thing to see. Watching the Alan White tribute show, seeing Downes/Sherwood/Davison/Schellen/Perdomo/Haug (or thereabouts) performing, I thought, 'This is a very good band who I would happily see live. It is a line-up with a unique connectedness to Yes. But is it Yes?'

We have had many Yes reunions, more than the Led Zeppelin fans got, more than the Pink Floyd fans, more than the Genesis fans. We've been spoilt as Yes fans. If we get another, great, but it's not something I pine for. So, is it likely?

If it happens, I think it would have to be based on Anderson and Howe agreeing to do something, and then Wakeman being persuaded to be involved too. I think ARW is history. Maybe Wakeman guests on a Rabin project or vice versa, which would be interesting, but they wouldn't call it Yes.​ If Anderson and Wakeman wanted to do something together... well, they would've announced it by now, wouldn't they? And they haven't. Maybe Anderson guests on something Rabin does or vice versa. I can't see Wakeman doing something with Howe without Anderson. Kaye might guest with the current Yes again: that's probably the most likely way we see 2 of the Union 8 re-united. But who knows? They've surprised us before.
                  My feelings as well. I like the current band a lot, but don't really see the post-Anderson band as Yes. That said, I have a ton of respect for them and will go see them as long as I can. The obvious thing IMO is to revert to Arc of Life when Steve retires.

Comment

If YES keeps going after Steve and GD I think think they new exciting guitar player and keys player along the lines of Igor or Brislin. JD and BS and JS are prob the base of the band when that time comes. I think if new parts are put in they will get one album to prove they can stick around or it may be over.

Comment

I swear I read that Wakeman and Howe had lunch together at least once in the last couple of years.
                      “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by Frumious B View Post
                        I swear I read that Wakeman and Howe had lunch together at least once in the last couple of years.
                        Lunchgate was a rumour Rick started in an interview demonstratin' that in fact they do get on. He was answerin' a question. It was leadin' up to the 50th anniversary of CTTE and I speculated they were gettin' things lined up for a possible media campaign to promote it. Haven't heard anythin' since. So. Did they lunch or not? There must be a paper trail somewhere. CCTV. 😉

Comment

Probably wasn’t at Chez Nous.

Comment

Originally posted by josuev80 View Post

Probably wasn’t at Chez Nous.
                            hahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

I was one of those fans that as long as Chris was leading the band with Alan and Steve, I didn't mind too much whoever was playing synth or singing. There was still significant Yes magic and authenticity as well as a real Yes performance experience. Now I read of the possibilities of a Yes after Steve is gone? I've become the fan I never thought I'd be. I think it should be called Steve Howe's Yes Experience now.... The authentic Yes experience is now over. No reason why they can't celebrate the amazing music of Yes, and what a joy to still see Steve play, but c'mon, it's just not Yes anymore. It's Steve with guys playing and acting like members past... Yep, I'm that guy now. (*ducks head*) LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	147
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	28018​​
                            Last edited by Somis Sound; 10-05-2022, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I find that hard to believe. I can’t imagine them getting together in a social setting.

Comment

Rick has done a 180 with his comments about Steve and YesO in the last year or so. Maybe they had a heart-to-heart after Steve's book came out.

Comment

Working...
                                X