Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: Steve Howe has no "guitar heir"...Is Yes "done" after Steve's done?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely not over. Jimmy Haun.

Comment

I see two parts to this question. Part one is can Steve be replaced, and I'm sure they can find someone to fill his shoes if they want to keep going as Yes. The second part is the bigger question to me - what is going to happen to the Yes LLC business and brand and who is next in line for CEO (so to speak) that will call the shots? There is zero chance Jon Anderson will be brought back into the fold with the business of Yes and that will limit any chance of him being in the band ever again. It will be up to the remaining business partners, which no doubt will include Steve until he is no longer with us and whoever he chooses to pass his share off to after that, and I would think Chris' and Alan's heirs would also be part of that group. Based upon Chris' prior statements about Yes moving forward in the future I think it's very likely that Yes will continue for as long as they want as long as they can find replacement pieces that fit the puzzle that keeps fans buying tickets and albums into the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by kkleinschmidt View Post
        I see two parts to this question. Part one is can Steve be replaced, and I'm sure they can find someone to fill his shoes if they want to keep going as Yes. The second part is the bigger question to me - what is going to happen to the Yes LLC business and brand and who is next in line for CEO (so to speak) that will call the shots? There is zero chance Jon Anderson will be brought back into the fold with the business of Yes and that will limit any chance of him being in the band ever again. It will be up to the remaining business partners, which no doubt will include Steve until he is no longer with us and whoever he chooses to pass his share off to after that, and I would think Chris' and Alan's heirs would also be part of that group. Based upon Chris' prior statements about Yes moving forward in the future I think it's very likely that Yes will continue for as long as they want as long as they can find replacement pieces that fit the puzzle that keeps fans buying tickets and albums into the foreseeable future.
        Being a guitarist who channels Steve, I also would add that many modern "shred" lead guitarists don't exactly play (or seem to know how to) play like Howe does. There's a ton of intricacies in Steve's phrasing, note choices, and approach that somewhat "break the rules" of most acknowledged music theory. Even guitarists I've known who think they can play Yes - can't.

Comment

Billy Sherwood

Comment

Johnny Bruhns, or Jimi Haun. Those are my top two.

Comment

Originally posted by BillGuitar View Post

Being a guitarist who channels Steve, I also would add that many modern "shred" lead guitarists don't exactly play (or seem to know how to) play like Howe does. There's a ton of intricacies in Steve's phrasing, note choices, and approach that somewhat "break the rules" of most acknowledged music theory. Even guitarists I've known who think they can play Yes - can't.
              +1 what Bill said. Steve is so distinctive that anyone else going to seem 'mainstream' in comparison. I know Steve privately ragged on the playing on 90125 going 'this could be anybody playing this!' which at the time and in comparison seemed true, but of course scratch the surface and TR is a pretty distinctive guitarist and not just an 80s shredder... but it sure seemed like that at first.

if you just grab someone from the long list of players about you'll end up with this. I mean tbh Steve Morse seems like it compared to Blackmore, and I've been a fan of Morse since before he joined purple. They've got Danny now who is an excellent player, but still... (im not ragging on that guy either, mind, he IS a great player)

but maybe its worse if you get someone and try and mimic the playing. They lost their confidence and tried to get Tommy Bolin on the tour to play exactly like Ritchie, he got depressed and put a sign round his neck saying 'clone' - which is a big missed opportunity as Bolin was really a titanic player with his own style (i got those reheasal tapes and it is a really funky cool band)

Jimi Haun at least has spent some time studying the style to get away with it. That interview where he breaks down all the union parts he played on (!!!!! what an eye opener, it is so detailed) and so I never got to see Circa live, there is a really good youtube vid of one of there shows and it is really ripping. Tony Kaye is blasting "looking around" on the hammond organ and Haun works really well with some 175 lines (on a song Steve Howe never played on haha)

as im writing this its now reminding me of peter banks' lovely jazzy rickenbacker playing on the first album, and i should give that a spin, and my flash records. Now that would work.

I agree that if steve retires Yes would not continue, but i'd still follow those guys and sure they'd make some good music.

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

Their last reunion as Yes, at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, appears to have been painful and difficult with arguments over the line-up.

More generally, note my phrase there at the beginning of that last sentence: "their last reunion". They keep doing reunions. There was the song together on Jon's 1000 Hands, there was the Hall of Fame, there was the 2002 reunion, there was San Luis Obispo, there was the Union album, there was ABWH before that. If we don't specify Howe and Anderson being together, there have been further reunions: in 2008, and then with ARW. For nearly as long as I have been a Yes fan, other fans have said they wanted a final tour or song(s) back together... and then a "classic" line-up reunited for a period, and within a few months of that latest reunion ending, the same calls would return. Can we have just one (more) final tour or song(s)?

If Howe and Anderson did a show together, within 6 months, people would be asking for a final, final tour before they call it a day.
                This is all true, I think people would just like to see a happy musical reunion between Jon and Steve after the distance and occasional drama of the last 20 years or so.
                CHECK OUT MY BAND SAHARA SKY AT.. https://open.spotify.com/artist/6Vl3kHvkM19m2PdFRFRsr1 ๐Ÿ™‚

Comment

Originally posted by TommyTopographic View Post

This is all true, I think people would just like to see a happy musical reunion between Jon and Steve after the distance and occasional drama of the last 20 years or so.
                  I feel we've had the best - and that was substantial, ground breaking, enduring and beautiful - that these musicians were able to collectively create some considerable time ago, and I'm content, more than content, privileged I suppose, to have had that and to able to return to it repeatedly, find new things in it, to continue to appreciate it and be thankful for it, and not feel a need for more of it now. I feel no selfish longing that these aging creators of music past should reunite and try and reinvent their previous accomplishments.
                  Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                  Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip itโ€™s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

I feel we've had the best - and that was substantial, ground breaking, enduring and beautiful - that these musicians were able to collectively create some considerable time ago, and I'm content, more than content, privileged I suppose, to have had that and to able to return to it repeatedly, find new things in it, to continue to appreciate it and be thankful for it, and not feel a need for more of it now. I feel no selfish longing that these aging creators of music past should reunite and try and reinvent their previous accomplishments.
                    I fully agree. If they would really want to themselves, that would be another thing. But I don't feel they owe us anything anymore.

Comment

I would definitely want Sherwood Davison Schellen Brislin and Haun to pick up the YES torch but by all means, make a slight name change, not YES.

Comment

I look at Yes as ending in 2004 after the 35th. Everything since is a tribute band not unlike what Kansas is doing. Howe was a great musician but he is now old and no where near what he was. Howe is and always was replaceable. Rabin proved that.

Yes is and was and always will be Jon Anderson.

But what they are doing after the Anderson ERA is fine. It is just not my cup of tea.
                        Last edited by alex peters; 10-02-2022, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alex peters View Post
                          I look at Yes as ending in 2004 after the 35th. Everything since is a tribute band not unlike what Kansas is doing.

Yes is and was and always will be Jon Anderson.

But what they are doing after the Anderson ERA is fine. It is just not my cup of tea.
                          Magnification was a great work. Whether it was a great album on par with CTTE or GFTO, probably not. I appreciate albums like that where there is a sincere effort to produce a well-rounded Yes album.
                          I think the next generation Yes could be Oliver, Billy, Jimmy and Jay. A line up like that could be true to the mission, with an updated approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Yesed View Post

Magnification was a great work. Whether it was a great album on par with CTTE or GFTO, probably not. I appreciate albums like that where there is a sincere effort to produce a well-rounded Yes album.
                            I think the next generation Yes could be Oliver, Billy, Jimmy and Jay. A line up like that could be true to the mission, with an updated approach.
                            Yes. Magnification was a decent album. I just wonder how it COULD HAVE BEEN if Wakeman was on the keys. He wanted to contribute to the album but was rebuffed.

In The Presence is a great song IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Yesed View Post

Yes. An updated approach is what the present Yes needs IMO

Comment

Originally posted by alex peters View Post

Yes. Magnification was a decent album. I just wonder how it COULD HAVE BEEN if Wakeman was on the keys. He wanted to contribute to the album but was rebuffed.

In The Presence is a great song IMO
                                I dont know the story behind Rick and Magnification. But he did perform the material live with enthusiasm. It would have been better with him in the studio at the time, I agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X