Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: Steve Howe has no "guitar heir"...Is Yes "done" after Steve's done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q: Steve Howe has no "guitar heir"...Is Yes "done" after Steve's done?

Just thinking about Alan today. Just kind of heavy... both what he means to YES (a hell of a lot), and what "YES" means with one member left from the 1970s.

The band had an "heir apparent" for both Chris Squire / bass, AND drums with Jay Schellen.

But what happens after Steve's done? What does / can YES actually "mean" in the 2020s and beyond...when NO members in the band are left from the halcyon days of YES in the 1970s...???

-Douglas

Even if Steve had appointed a successor, I still expect Yes to end when Steve is out.

Comment

I expect Jon will rejoin and bring his old acoustic to fill the gap.
      And his long hair.

Comment

Yesmusic will still be played though.
        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post
          Even if Steve had appointed a successor, I still expect Yes to end when Steve is out.
          Yes, the same here. I even think, although I admit it's pure speculation on my part, it plays a role in the formation of Arc of Life; to have already established a format where Davison, Sherwood and Schellen can continue working together. They'll have their own music and no doubt live will play a few Yes songs, after Yes has ended.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
            Yesmusic will still be played though.
            No doubt in my mind.

Comment

It’s an interesting question. There are more able guitar players out there that could rejuvenate Yes music to a higher standard than it’s being played right now. Another way of saying it is that Steve Howe is having a harder and harder time covering what Steve Howe was 50 years ago. Yes music will continue to be played but the question is, will there be a band called Yes playing it. It will boil down to money and the ability to get bums in the seats. There are plenty of old bands that have reconstituted themselves who don’t remotely resemble what they once were. Maybe a more tasteful way to transition would be to have a Yes Family band that includes alumni and other professional musicians who have a deep love of the music. That might be a nice way to keep the train moving forward.

Comment

I don't really like talking about this, seems awkward towards Steve at the moment, but when the time comes, I hope Yes will continue with Jimmy Haun, Oliver Day, Roine Stolt, or another new guitarist. I think Billy, Jay and Jon D have established the new Band Core and they want to see Yes continue, so Steve should give them his blessing... Not sure about Geoff but he's welcomed to stay or if they get Oliver Wakeman or Tom Brislin for keys they'd be legit for me, especially if they put out some new cool albums... the fans will also have to chose to believe in this new version of yes and go to the shows, yes music will survive and they could go through some of the 80s and 90s materials for a while...
                "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

Comment

It’s strange to remember that the Drama line up had only one original member. And yet, arguably, it turned out to be a completely viable, “alternative” Yes.
                  Last edited by Ceasar’s Palace; 06-15-2022, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by agentarmstrong View Post
                    What does / can YES actually "mean" in the 2020s and beyond...when NO members in the band are left from the halcyon days of YES in the 1970s...???
                    1970s? Also 80s, 90s, 2000s… There's really no impetus to play any of that 80s big hit material, either, with no members from that band still active in the group. Without Steve, we've got Geoff with 4 albums (for the moment), which, no sleight here, didn't exactly set the world on fire; Jon on two, Billy on a couple that won't get played, etc etc. It is what it is, and will be the end of an era of live music, for sure. But the music will live on.

Comment

I think they are definitely done when he's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post
                        It’s strange to remember that the Drama line up had only one original member. And yet, arguably, it turned out to be a completely viable, “alternative” Yes.
                        Well, when you consider how many versions of Yes there have been, there’s always been an alternative version of Yes. How many have been viable is up for debate. One could say that the original version of Yes with Peter Banks wouldn’t have been viable if they had stayed together.

Comment

On that sad day when Steve is gone, or even just retired, I would not be the least surprised for Anderson to lay claim to the band and its legacy, given he already owns a significant portion of the rights (insofar as we non-attorneys can understand).

Comment

Just an aside: I read that Phil Collins had arranged with Jon Anderson to audition as the drummer for Yes, but Collins chickened out at the last minute thinking he wasn't good enough (actually he was an excellent drummer - much better at that than at singing). Interesting to ponder how things might've turned out if he'd gone through with it and got the job.

Comment

Jimmy Haun is incredible, AND can handle the Rabin stuff better than Howe. I just hope it is not called "Yes".

Comment

Working...
                              X