Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New interview with Geoff and Steve

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4vd-TB5lhP0

Thanks, really enjoyed the interview. Steve and Geoff both look to be in good spirits.

I know there's a certain faction of YES fans that will always yearn for the "Howe / Wakeman" fulcrum of musicianship... but for ME, I love the "Howe / Downes'" partnership - they have a tremendous track record in TWO bands between both YES and with /ASIA\ (and GTR as a 3rd band, w/Geoff producing).

In "the working YES", we've seen Geoff Downes onstage with Steve Howe for 11 years consecutively (and shoot, if you add the /ASIA\ XXV reunion years, Steve & Geoff have toured and recorded together now from 2006-2022.

*16 YEARS* is a healthy foundation for Howe / Downes to lead the current lineup of YES "onward"...

[PERSPECTIVE: "16 years" also spans the amount of time from FRAGILE ('71) through BIG GENERATOR ('87). Don't overlook how significant this partnership is to the history of YES.......]

-Douglas

Comment

/ADD\ also the fact Downes has recorded astonishin' music with DBA and hopefully will tour that as well, and we're lucky to have him in the band. /ALSO\ the Live in Budokan clips are now on youtube. Wales have made the world cup. For Geoff, the planets have /ALIGNED\ .

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg-128.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	18308
      Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 06-08-2022, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by agentarmstrong View Post
        Thanks, really enjoyed the interview. Steve and Geoff both look to be in good spirits.

I know there's a certain faction of YES fans that will always yearn for the "Howe / Wakeman" fulcrum of musicianship... but for ME, I love the "Howe / Downes'" partnership - they have a tremendous track record in TWO bands between both YES and with /ASIA\ (and GTR as a 3rd band, w/Geoff producing).

In "the working YES", we've seen Geoff Downes onstage with Steve Howe for 11 years consecutively (and shoot, if you add the /ASIA\ XXV reunion years, Steve & Geoff have toured and recorded together now from 2006-2022.

*16 YEARS* is a healthy foundation for Howe / Downes to lead the current lineup of YES "onward"...

[PERSPECTIVE: "16 years" also spans the amount of time from FRAGILE ('71) through BIG GENERATOR ('87). Don't overlook how significant this partnership is to the history of YES.......]

-Douglas
        That is an interesting and probably often overlooked perspective. It's also why I think that when the time comes that Steve will call it a day, Geoff will walk to and we will basically be left with the core that currently is Arc of Life, and Billy Juan and Jay will continue as such.

Comment

Very nice interview. Geoff and Steve seem so relaxed and at ease. Not just for the interview, but in general.

Very interesting that for the first time ever they will be playing the final part of CTTE in its original key. I think that may make it come off even more powerful.

Comment

Did Steve have a haircut, or is his hair bundled up?
            These are important issues, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post
              Did Steve have a haircut, or is his hair bundled up?
              These are important issues, everyone!
              Haircut I would say.

Comment

bring on the tour Yes, it is indeed a fine album. (Also please promote The Quest!)
                The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post
                  bring on the tour Yes, it is indeed a fine album. (Also please promote The Quest!)
                  Yeah, promote the new album! Enough 50th Anniversary of this and Anniversary Tour that, this should be The Quest Tour 2022/23. Make people care by pushing your new album! If they don't believe in their new work, nobody else will. But I get the vibe they do believe in The Quest. They just need to play a bit of it live to give it some love. Bill it as Quest Tour Featuring CTTE (or eventually Relayer) in its Entirety + More.

Comment

Excellent interview all around. I've never seen that big a grin on Howe's face before. Now I'm really pumped.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post

Yeah, promote the new album! Enough 50th Anniversary of this and Anniversary Tour that, this should be The Quest Tour 2022/23. Make people care by pushing your new album! If they don't believe in their new work, nobody else will. But I get the vibe they do believe in The Quest. They just need to play a bit of it live to give it some love. Bill it as Quest Tour Featuring CTTE (or eventually Relayer) in its Entirety + More.
                      Probably a tad late for a change in the billing. And up to two weeks ago they were still advertising the UK tour with "tickets available". Not to be cynical, but if tickets were available about four weeks before a tour starts that is billed with their most popular album, I can't imagine what it would have been like, would the tour have been billed as "The Quest".

Also the market has changed. There's hardly any money to be made these days from album sales. So what purpose would it serve to bill a tour after a new album? Touring is where the money is these days, so it makes sense to bill a tour with one of your most famous albums, as that is likely to put more butts in the seats.

Comment

Still plenty of seats available for the Nottingham Royal Concert Hall show a week on Saturday. I think that's the 3rd or 4th show of the tour. Probably a similar tale at other venues as well.
                        I'm not going. I'd intended to when it was Relayer on offer, even though I have considerable doubts of the capability of this band to do it justice, and I was contemplating going to the Albert Hall as well, as a friend had a spare ticket available. Unfortunately, a combined storm of not getting a new job as soon into the new year as I'd hoped, and then the dropping of Relayer in favour of Close To The Edge 50th, not to mention the tragedy of losing Alan, all led to me declining to attend.
                        I know I could have opted to get a ticket instead of going to the opera, price was about the same, but at this stage in my life, and in my history of seeing the band at so many great shows over the last 49 years, Verdi actually has more appeal for me.
                        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Well, yeah - sad but true. Yes (or maybe most artists) can't compete with their past. But even if it were the Quest Tour, everybody knows the set will be mostly 70's classics. But maybe it depends on what kind of band/artist. Porcupine Tree has a new album coming out for example, their first one in 13 years. Will it be 'Reunion Tour' or is it the Closure/Continuation (the title of new album) Tour? They didn't make much mention of "we're back!" - they're just presenting a new album & tour, of which I'm sure they'll be playing all kind of old stuff too. But for some reason Yes can't get away with that. I guess that's a topic/thread in itself. I remember the Heaven & Earth tour in 2014 gave no mention of there even being a new album, save for a page in the middle of the tour program - no emphasis at all. No wonder the album bombed.

I think it would be cool for it to be called the Quest Tour, it might even result in some extra Quest album sales. But they hit their target audience which are there for the classics, as well as the casual fans out and about for an evening of music & beer, which is fair enough. Nothing wrong with a fun evening of song we know and love. I suppose a lot of classic bands do tours after releasing new music but don't push it for fear of sounding like they're presenting some new show centered on a new work that won't attract their faithful - the exception maybe if someone does a concept album/rock opera on 2-discs sorta thing, but with that people also know what they're getting.

There's another rabbit hole to go down: If Yes presented a new show centered on a new 2-disc masterwork studio album with concept/theme, how well would that go down? Would fans turn out for that? Ok, so they did that with Topographic Oceans, but that was in the past when they were presenting the present rather than now where they're in the present presenting the past. As long as they tack on Starship Trooper & Roundabout at the end, right?

Then again, I suppose Yes not having toured since before the pandemic it probably would make sense not to be too radical and just present a laid back show of classics to get back into the swing of it. So, no Quest Tour - though I do hope they play some of it.

Comment

Well, yeah - sad but true. Yes (or maybe most artists) can't compete with their past. But even if it were the Quest Tour, everybody knows the set will be mostly 70's classics. But maybe it depends on what kind of band/artist. Porcupine Tree has a new album coming out for example, their first one in 13 years. Will it be 'Reunion Tour' or is it the Closure/Continuation (the title of new album) Tour? They didn't make much mention of "we're back!" - they're just presenting a new album & tour, of which I'm sure they'll be playing all kind of old stuff too. But for some reason Yes can't get away with that. I guess that's a topic/thread in itself. I remember the Heaven & Earth tour in 2014 gave no mention of there even being a new album, save for a page in the middle of the tour program - no emphasis at all. No wonder the album bombed.

I think it would be cool for it to be called the Quest Tour, it might even result in some extra Quest album sales. But they hit their target audience which are there for the classics, as well as the casual fans out and about for an evening of music & beer, which is fair enough. Nothing wrong with a fun evening of song we know and love. I suppose a lot of classic bands do tours after releasing new music but don't push it for fear of sounding like they're presenting some new show centered on a new work that won't attract their faithful - the exception maybe if someone does a concept album/rock opera on 2-discs sorta thing, but with that people also know what they're getting.

There's another rabbit hole to go down: If Yes presented a new show centered on a new 2-disc masterwork studio album with concept/theme, how well would that go down? Would fans turn out for that? Ok, so they did that with Topographic Oceans, but that was in the past when they were presenting the present rather than now where they're in the present presenting the past. As long as they tack on Starship Trooper & Roundabout at the end, right?

Then again, I suppose Yes not having toured since before the pandemic it probably would make sense not to be too radical and just present a laid back show of classics to get back into the swing of it. So, no Quest Tour - though I do hope they play some of it.
                            It has already been mentioned that at least 2 Quest songs will be played, but I do wish the tour was more focused on the current album than another anniversary one.

Comment

Ian Anderson did a tour playing Thick as a Brick and then his new album Thick as a Brick 2. So, that's 50% of the set on new material, way more than most old acts do, but it's all tied in to nostalgia marketing, which we know is the most successful marketing. So, perhaps Yes need to do More Tales from Topographic Oceans or Re-Relayer...

Comment

Working...
                              X