what happened to Horizons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what happened to Horizons?

sorry if this was discussed in the old forum, but I missed everything there between Sept-Nov last year....

Over the last few years there has been a lot of conjecture in the forums about the unfinished piece Horizons from the H&E sessions. You know, the 17-minute masterpiece. Did we learn anything more about this from the band or other sources in conjunction with the release of The Quest? Were parts of Horizons used on TQ? Is it still floating around somewhere? Is it all just a dream?

It's on Jon and Vangelis's third album, Private Collection. Beautiful piece of music.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

It’s on the other side of the album that has Time.

Comment

Originally posted by josuev80 View Post
        It’s on the other side of the album that has Time.
        actually Time Horizon wouldn't be a bad name for a Yes album...

Comment

I wish we had more information on that, yeah I think it was Geoff who talked about Horizons in an interview.
          The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
          -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
          -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

It's on Foxtrot, the acoustic piece on side 2 right before Supper's Ready

Comment

Originally posted by YesWill View Post
              sorry if this was discussed in the old forum, but I missed everything there between Sept-Nov last year....

Over the last few years there has been a lot of conjecture in the forums about the unfinished piece Horizons from the H&E sessions. You know, the 17-minute masterpiece. Did we learn anything more about this from the band or other sources in conjunction with the release of The Quest? Were parts of Horizons used on TQ? Is it still floating around somewhere? Is it all just a dream?
              Honestly I am surpised as much as anyone this hasnt been released my guess is maybe its to painful for Davison and Downes to release this as its the last thing they were working on with Chris Squire

Comment

Originally posted by YesWill View Post
                Were parts of Horizons used on TQ? Is it still floating around somewhere? Is it all just a dream?
                I have a friend who told me that - and he should know - Horizons was broken down and sold for parts in order to help finance The Quest.

Comment

If I remember correctly, Squire mentioned that a lot of what was “Horizons” ultimately became Subway Walls. Unless there’s another longer track they were working on?

Comment

Then there is also according to Jon D. a longer version of Light Of The Ages. Maybe a reissue in time? I mean, in Time.

Comment

Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

Honestly I am surpised as much as anyone this hasnt been released my guess is maybe its to painful for Davison and Downes to release this as its the last thing they were working on with Chris Squire
                      My guess is, parts were used for other songs or could it be, it was transformed to either "A Living Island" or "The Ice Bridge", but that it was decided to leave Squire's part's out, or perhaps there was too little from Squire to.be able to use ? Horizons was a Davison/Downes track.

This is from Henry's site from 2019:

One report had an album planned to be out by mid-2019. Rumour from the 2018 Cruise suggested that Yes were planning to use recordings of two songs with Chris Squire (both on bass and vocals), both of which were started on before Heaven and Earth was released. One of these is "Horizons", a long piece (although exactly how long varies from report to report). This is the Downes/Davison piece not finished in time for Heaven & Earth; it may have a central role and it seems Horizons may also have been a working title for the album project. Rumours from the summer 2019 tour point to this song being on the new album. An Aug 2017 backstage report from North Carolina had that Howe and Davison have been writing together extensively (with Davison very positive about the results), plus that Downes also has some material under consideration, so the band were then said to be looking at an album with "Horizons", some Howe/Davison tracks and a few Downes tracks.

The Quest has two Davison/Downes tracks, namely A Living Island. The song is 7 minutes long (which coincides with Henry's text that says "a long piece, al though exactly how long varies from report to report). Now The Ice Bridge is also a 7 minutes Davison/Downes piece (remember Downes thought at least it was his untill the whole Monkman thing happened), so that one could also be a reworked Horizons (all eyes to the east, onward to the sunrise).

Just speculation of course, but a possibility.

Comment

It's exploring the outer solar system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Horizons
                        Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
                        My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

"A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Working...
                          X