Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Owner of a Lonely Heart 2015 (Baltimore, MD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owner of a Lonely Heart 2015 (Baltimore, MD)

I was at this concert (Though I didn't record this video) and thought it was an excellent live iteration of Owner given the lineup and the time period. Steve hit his marks almost perfectly, and even says something nice about the song after playing it (at the beginning of this separate clip of "Roundabout"- Same show, back to back songs.):

When they did Owner, Billy provided some great backing vocals to Juano (I actually think I hear Geoff in that mix, too, though I could be wrong- he can be seen mouthing words into a mic, but sometimes that's just for show.). The Baltimore crowd brought a lot of energy to it as well.

I'd love to see Yes bring this one back. This was I think the second to last tour they played it on (Possibly the final one in the United States), not counting the Hall of Fame induction performance.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 05-11-2022, 12:11 PM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

I was at that show too, at Pier Six Pavillion. Outdoor venue w/ cityscape in the background. Good show, good energy. First time seeing them without Squire, I was watching/focusing on Billy Sherwood for half the night. Steve almost sounds like Adrian Belew or someone for that Owner Of A Lonely Heart solo.

Comment

I was there, three! It was a very good show, and the weather was spectacular, a very scenic venue if you're in the back or up on the lawn. I remember that Starship Trooper was pretty LOUD that night, maybe it was the acoustics of where I was sitting.

Comment

I was there. It was a pretty good rendition. I heard a rumor Steve was the one who wanted it in the setlist. I think he again soured on the song after ARW started touring.

Comment

That was my second YES show with my first being in Philly during the Masterworks tour. I loved it and was really special for me because I got to see Toto also who I hadn't seen since the 90's. I was rather shocked YES even did Owner let alone Howe doing a decent solo.

Comment

A very good job of getting the guitar sound/settings on the guitar solo, the notation here is quite different from the Rabin recorded and live versions.
            The drum intro and break were hard to replicate live back in the day, but there are also settings for Yamaha DTX and Roland TD which can emulate that drum sound. I believe Alan White has used both the Yamaha and the Roland drum modules live. For a long time Alan played those parts on his Ludwig Kit, then took the approach seen in this performance, and just stops drumming while they play that bit from the record. But I am sure they could dial the sound in on his electronic components and he could play that part and have it sound like the record.

Comment

Steve had come a long way since 2001 when Tom Brislin had to persuade him to play OOALH with him (Brislin) doing the solo on keyboards.

Comment

Working...
              X