Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support Tony Kaye rejoining Yes at some point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you support Tony Kaye rejoining Yes at some point?

I was just thinking, in order to add more legitimacy to the lineup by regaining an original member, and because I think it would be cool, would adding Kaye to lineup for a few years (and maybe an album) be a good idea? A 6 man lineup with two keyboard players, more options to do early Yes and Rabin era Yes in concerts? Its not inconceivable given Billy's close ties to Tony and the recent Yes 50 tour either.... thoughts? Could be a fun concept, I do like the Hammond organ man
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

I would be interested in a two keyboardist lineup. Dedicated organ and synth players. Bring it on!

Comment

He's 76 and has tinnitus.
      ​​​​​​Guesting as he did on some of the 50th Anniversary shows is one thing, but a full-time band member merely to lend 'legitimacy', no.
      Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
      Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
        He's 76 and has tinnitus.
        ​​​​​​Guesting as he did on some of the 50th Anniversary shows is one thing, but a full-time band member merely to lend 'legitimacy', no.
        ah thats a shame i didn't know he had tinnitus.

Comment

Theoretically I would... he is probably the Yes-keyboardplayer who plays the fewest amount of notes but always to the point and with a soulful feeling. The so far last time I saw him was with Yoso here and I was really impressed, again. But I guess really as well his problems do make full shows unpossible.

Comment

Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post
            I was just thinking, in order to add more legitimacy to the lineup by regaining an original member, and because I think it would be cool, would adding Kaye to lineup for a few years (and maybe an album) be a good idea? A 6 man lineup with two keyboard players, more options to do early Yes and Rabin era Yes in concerts? Its not inconceivable given Billy's close ties to Tony and the recent Yes 50 tour either.... thoughts? Could be a fun concept, I do like the Hammond organ man
            I have been saying this since 2015... heck I also wish those Howe Bruford jazz pieces weren't included in some way on the new yes album

Comment

The Kaye era keyboards can be handled by Downes. Some of the Wakeman and possibly Moraz material is a different story. I also doubt Howe and possibly White would want to split the touring pie 7 ways. The 50th anniversary tour was a special event.
              Last edited by josuev80; 12-04-2021, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Doesn't he have issues with flying due to health too? It's a long row from the States to Europe...

Comment

It was just a hypothetical yeah, probably unlikely- but would've been nice to see. I very much have confidence in the future of Yes after the Quest!

Comment

While I was thrilled to see Tony play live with Yes in 2018 (I never thought I'd get a chance to see him play in person) as a special limited time attraction, I think in the long run, going forward, Yes would benefit more from a young hard rocking extra guitarist who can do the speed parts on guitar and add harmony vocals, filling out both the guitar and vocal sounds and enabling to do more different types of songs, and both the songs they currently do and the songs they could do, better, at this point, if they are considering adding a 7th person on stage to their touring group. Bonus points if the guitarist is also the creative type who can contribute and make the next Yes album harder rocking. They are leaning kind of heavy on legacy guys who are starting to struggle because of age and health- adding another full-time would sort of be moving in the wrong direction.

What would line up the best with my own personal interests in terms of where I want to hear Tony is if he and Billy were to really dig into that Circa: album they are working on, and maybe a slew of follow-ups. They've done some really cool stuff with that group's albums over the years, and I think it's almost ideally suited to where Tony is today- unlimited takes in the studio, and Sherwood to do anything Tony might struggle with. While Sherwood has been very prolific total picture wise, Circa: specifically hasn't had a new studio album since 2016- so that Billy and Tony thing could be getting more attention (I know they're working on an album, but I mean as an on-going thing with more frequent new albums). Tony actually has done some very strong keyboard parts for Circa:. We don't even know if he would be included on a potential future Yes album, or when that album be, and, if they do one and he is on it, he'd be playing second fiddle to Geoff Downes. With Circa:, we'd stand a better chance of really hearing what Tony has to offer in terms of original keyboard parts for a rock band.
                    Last edited by downbyariver; 12-03-2021, 12:41 PM.
                    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

"hard rocking"

It was only a matter of time... 😂😂😂

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
                        "hard rocking"

It was only a matter of time... 😂😂😂
                        Maybe Tony could lend him his t-shirt.
                        "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

I’ve suggested Tony guesting on a Yes album before. But for some reason he wasn’t on The Quest...
                          Better luck next time?

Comment

For most of my life I'd have said a definite "no" - I've not been a fan of the first two albums or 90125, nor the keyboards on them. However, I saw Tony up close on the Yoso tour and he really impressed.

He wouldn't be amongst my top choices to rejoin, but I do like him.
                            Last edited by RelayerI; 12-04-2021, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Absolutely. If he can and is able to play a few songs on tour would be great. His unique sound and sense of “cool” is absolutely welcomed!!

Comment

Working...
                              X