Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erase 10 Yes albums from existence!

Erase ten Yes albums from existence.

Pick 5 Yes albums you would erase and replace with a different alternate version of it. There would be elements of the 5 albums that where there before, but it wouldn't be the albums we know. What would you change? And then -

Pick 5 Yes albums you would erase completely. These will be removed from the universe, replaced by another Yes album with unknown Yes songs, or even no album at all. Don't worry about what it got replaced with, they may be great or may be worse than the album you just erased. It's a gamble. These 5 albums you choose will be sterilized and lost in time.

The catch? One album from either category (replaced or erased) has to be an album from the years 1971-1977.

Why 10 albums? Well, if it was only three albums or five, it would be too easy - everybody would be pickin' OYE, H&E, the Trevor Rabin Years and The Quest. So, 10 albums to be lost in the multiverse.

Good luck!

My Pix:

REPLACE:

Union - fix it so that all 8 members are playing together on most of the material, and that there be a 14 minute epic
    Talk - Talk is great as is, really. Love it, but when you think that Rick Wakeman was originally supposed to be on it, one may hit the replace button.
    Big Generator - no issue here, but I would fix it so that it came out in the summer of 1985 and with a Roger Dean cover depicting an ocean/aquarium theme
    From A Page - replace with a full CD of that, it's missing its other half. And fix it so that the album came out in 2008 or 2010.
    Fragile - ok, this is the one from the classic years I would replace though I'm not sure what version to replace it with. always felt it needed an extra song or two and maybe Wakeman's solo should have been an original piece. And 5% For Nothing should be 95% longer.

ERASE:

Keys To Ascension - maybe a follow up to Talk would have been better?
    Open Your Eyes
    Heaven & Earth
    The Quest - I know it's too soon to hit the eradicate button on an album that just came out, but you wonder if something else may have been even more special?

coming up with a fifth one was hard - we know the easy ones to replace. So I may have to go with:

ABWH - erasing that paves the way for a quicker 1989 follow up to Big Generator with that lineup. But that's not technically a Yes album, is it? Can't cheat my own rules here, so I'll have to go with Magnification, though it would break my heart to lose it. Erasing that may result in a band album with full keyboards with either Wakeman or Brislin.

What are your choices?.

My brain hurts.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Hit the ultimate ignore feature!

You do come up with thought-provokin' threads SWS.

Though this Sophie's Choice has been done goin' back to the ol' testament and The Wisdom of Solomon. Keep or kill.

5 change.

90125 with Eddie Jobson on electric violin
      Relayer with Bill Bruford jazzin' with Moraz
      TFTO made into just single album
      Drama with Anderson and Song of 7
      Heaven and Earth with Chris Braide

5 erase

Yes
      Time and a Word
      Talk
      Union

(Howe is the dealbreaker. NHNY)

Plus...all Roger covers. More tours downunder. 🤩
      Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 05-02-2022, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I would replace:

Tormato with…a version of the album minus Rick’s keys.

Union with an album that actually had Steve, Rick and Chris playing on the whole album.

Heaven and Earth with whatever that band could have done if they restarted with a different producer.

Open Your Eyes with the full Ladder lineup on the whole album and produced by an outside producer.

Keys to Ascension replaced with a full studio album from that lineup minus the live tracks.

I wouldn’t get rid of any album. But if I had to pick, I’d erase all Rabin-era albums from the Yes discography and have those released as Cinema.

Comment

Uh . . . [blink, blink]

Comment

The idea borders on doctrinally unsound schism, dare I say heresy. Lol, but will have to ponder the possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Yesed View Post
              The idea borders on doctrinally unsound schism, dare I say heresy. Lol, but will have to ponder the possibilities.
              Maybe even, dare I say it with tremblin' lips, a secession? 😉

Comment

Originally posted by pianozach View Post
                Uh . . . [blink, blink]
                "Haven't you got imagination and is it not available?".

Comment

Don't worry about destroying the Yes multiverse with any choices, Doctor Strange can fix it later.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

Maybe even, dare I say it with tremblin' lips, a secession? 😉
                    As Henry said to Thomas Moore.

Comment

Replace:

Going For The One with Patrick Moraz on keys instead
                      90125 with a second album from the Drama line-up (any day)
                      Union with a true ABWH follow-up
                      Keys To Ascension II with Know and a full-scale tour by the same line-up (essentially the same album, just a different promotional cycle)
                      Big Generator with a Horn-produced follow up to 90125

Erase:

Open Your Eyes
                      Heaven & Earth
                      The Ladder
                      Magnification
                      The Quest

Comment

Originally posted by kilianltia View Post
                        Union with a true ABWH follow-up ]
                        ABWH weren't able to pull off a second album so Yes West and Billy Sherwood were recruited along with Jimmy Haun who could play Howe better than Howe that year.

Comment

Originally posted by yamishogun View Post

ABWH weren't able to pull off a second album so Yes West and Billy Sherwood were recruited along with Jimmy Haun who could play Howe better than Howe that year.
                          Obviously not the Howe that was nominated for a grammy for Masquerade from that album, Must be a different one. Have you seen 'No Way Home'? Was this Earth 27? The one where there's an ARW triple studio album? I think it came out the same year as Anderson's Chagall Opera that debuted to such universal acclaim at the Met. That one?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post

Obviously not the Howe that was nominated for a grammy for Masquerade from that album, Must be a different one.
                            Howe was reportedly high a lot during the making of Union, and he had written Masquerade well before the Union period.
                            Why do you think Haun was hired to play some of Howe's parts?

Comment

Originally posted by yamishogun View Post

Howe was reportedly high a lot during the making of Union, and he had written Masquerade well before the Union period.
                              Why do you think Haun was hired to play some of Howe's parts?

You're going on what Anderson and Elias said. The latter had it that 'the poor guy [Howe], could hardly play anymore', together with 'he just wanted to solo over everything'. I paraphrase, but those do appear to be fairly contradictory statements. It's clear they had a 'sound' in mind and a hired gun would naturally be more amenable to giving them what they wanted. I wouldn't blame Haun for that, but Howe wasn't the only one who had parts replaced. Were they all out of it? Apart from steadfast sober Jon, that is? Or are we on Earth 349b this time?

Comment

Working...
                              X