Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• luvyesmusic
    replied
    I gave up a very long time ago trying to remember all the song titles, and then most YES-fans in general shorten the names to acronyms, which generally causes me to be even more befuddled, except for the easier ones. But, I have been getting better.

I don't believe the problem is that any of this are actual recent hits/songs. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• RelayerI
    replied
    1. Awaken
    2. Gates
    3. Close To The Edge
    4. And You And I
    5. The Revealing Science Of God
    6. Ritual
    7. Mind Drive
    8. That That Is
    9. In The Presence Of
    10. The Ancient
    11. The Remembering
    12. Endless Dream​

Leave a comment:

• josuev80
    replied
    It’s all subjective. Everyone’s choices and rankings are valid.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

I wish the Ice bridge was longer

Me too. They could have explored Snowflower Elder and his tribe's life in the Americas. Huntin' buffalo. Makin' teepees. Takin' peyote. Hooley Dooley! 😎

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Awaken??
    dam it i new i forgot one hang on
    1. Endless Dream
    2. Fly From Here
    3. Close to the edge
    4. Mind Drive
    5. Revealing Science of God
    6. Gates of Delirium
    7. Ritual
    8. the Gift of love: I am seeing a few others putting one mini epic in and I wanted to put Chris's last one in because it really is hauntingly beautiful
    9. The Remembering
    10. In the presence of
    11. Awaken
    12. That That Is
    13. The Ancient

I wish the Ice bridge was longer

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Holland
    replied
    Originally posted by rabin105 View Post
    for me

1. Endless Dream
    2. Fly From Here
    3. Close to the edge
    4. Mind Drive
    6. Gates of Delirium
    7. Ritual
    8. the Gift of love: I am seeing a few others putting one mini epic in and I wanted to put Chris's last one in because it really is hauntingly beautiful
    9. The Remembering
    10. That That Is
    11. The Ancient

I still wonder what Horizons sounds like as the fact there is a 20 minute yes epic with Squire on bass sigh
    Awaken??

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied
    for me

1. Endless Dream
    2. Fly From Here
    3. Close to the edge
    4. Mind Drive
    6. Gates of Delirium
    7. Ritual
    9. The Remembering
    10. That That Is
    11. The Ancient

I still wonder what Horizons sounds like as the fact there is a 20 minute yes epic with Squire on bass sigh

Leave a comment:

• Soundchaser413
    replied
    Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post

That kinda was like the 7 minute era. Tormato, skip Drama, 90125, Big Generator and Union all had their longest tracks at 7 minutes and some change. All good tracks too, some of which maybe the best on the album. It's time for Yes to play On The Silent Wings of Freedom and Hearts on tour this time. I'm for it.
    That would be good. I no longer have interest in seeing the band live but I hope they do it for the fans who don't mind seeing a different Jon on stage.

Leave a comment:

• pianozach
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
    When was it that longer pieces of music, by Yes or anyone else, came to categorised as 'epics', or mini-epics for that matter? Is it the internet and forums that gave rise to that designation? Never really regarded them as such myself, certainly not back in the 1970s, and I'm not attracted to dropping the longer-than-the-popular-norm pieces into such a category, particularly as it seems only their unorthodox length that sees them called that?
    No one ever did that with jazz pieces, for example... I can't see it as valid or accurate to do so, and I personally have tried to avoid doing so.

For the record (no pun intended), I've usually regarded Tales as one piece of music in four parts. Compositionally, they were thinking of, and their thinking was constrained by, a side of an LP, or four sides of a double LP, and that's perfectly ok but it has suited my personal take on such things to regard it and listen to it as one piece of music. You'll perhaps note that I tend to refer to Yes 'songs' that are extended or long-form compositions as 'pieces' rather than songs anyway. I would call Coltrane's A Love Supreme as a song either.
    Not trying to tell anyone anything other than how they choose to see it, but I see it differently. That's all.

The long post-big-band jazz songs are generally a tune, played twice, then everyone gets to improvise over the chords a couple of times, and then we play the tune again.

There's a Big Band work that qualifies as a mini-epic: In the Mood. I prefer the longer 6-1/2 minute version from Artie Shaw . . .

Leave a comment:

• Elizabeth "The Phish"
    replied
    My ranking with a descending order would be:

11) "The Revealing Science of God (Dance of the Dawn)": While it's a really good song that opens the album in a perfect way, compared to the rest of the epics, it is much less structured.
    10) "That, That Is": Another pretty good one. The first and the last movements are some of the best moments of Yes there are but the middle portions don't hold a candle to songs above it.
    9) "The Gates of Delirium": Probably the lowest you'll see this song. And while it's definitely better than the two songs below it, I do not think that it can go higher though, while being as great as it is.
    8) "Awaken": I don't listen to this much often but it's a pretty good ride every time. Though I'm ranking the studio versions here. But if we were talking about live versions than the ARW versions would definitely boost the song up a few places.
    7) "Ritual (Nous Sommes Du Soleil)": Probably the song on Tales from Topographic Oceans that feels like the most band-y. Though just like "Awaken", I much prefer listening to the live versions of this song, specifically Symphonic Live and Songs from Tsongas.
    6) "Mind Drive": I haven't heard this in quite some time but it's always a blast to listen to and definitely one of my favourite songs of the band.
    5) "Fly From Here Suite": Yes, I'm including the songs as a suite. But I just have to because I always listen to the full suite when I want to listen to a part of it. But this and above are some of my favourites of the band so don't think that I don't like it or something.
    4) "The Remembering (High the Memory)": I used to not like this all that much and if it was like a few months ago, this definitely would've been at the bottom of my list. But it's such a good journey that I can't put it any lower. But yeah, this song is definitely and experience.
    3) "Close to the Edge": Yes, this is NOT number 1 as most would expect but it was once a while. And I don't even need to talk about this because you already know why everyone loves it so much.
    2-1) "The Ancient (Giants Under the Sun)" = "Endless Dream": I know that you're gonna be like "Wha? Why do you have these two at the same line?". And my answer to that is that both of these epics are in a sense "equal" to me. And both of these represent the peak of the band for me, one with Steve and one with Rabin. Buuut, I will probably make a post talking about these two ones so the things I've said here are all you need to know.

Leave a comment:

• Homemade Parachute
    replied
    FWIW, which I expect to be about zero, a quick check of 10+ minute songs in the Yes studio camp reveals 16 songs, with "And You And I" just making the cutoff at 10:12, and "Gift of Love" just missing it at 9:57, for a total playing time of 4:15:00. A similar scan of 10+ minute Marillion songs in the Hogarth era alone (surprisingly, being strict with the Fish era would only add Grendel) reveals 17 songs, for a total playing time of 4:01:00. Put them together and you have the best/worst family driving playlist ever…

(Naturally both of these would be dwarfed by any respectable Miles Davis (68-75) or Keith Jarrett playlist, say, but so it goes…)

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    Originally posted by Soundchaser413 View Post

What about Tormato, 90125 and Union? No real long songs on those either.
    That kinda was like the 7 minute era. Tormato, skip Drama, 90125, Big Generator and Union all had their longest tracks at 7 minutes and some change. All good tracks too, some of which maybe the best on the album. It's time for Yes to play On The Silent Wings of Freedom and Hearts on tour this time. I'm for it.

Leave a comment:

• Soundchaser413
    replied
    Originally posted by yamishogun View Post

Apart from the ambient track, the longest song on OYE is 6:16. The longest songs on the first two albums are 6:47 and 6:31.
    What about Tormato, 90125 and Union? No real long songs on those either.

Leave a comment:

• Soundchaser413
    replied
    10. Fly From Here Suite
    9. The Remembering
    8. Ancient
    7. Mind Drive
    6. The Revealing Science of God
    5. Ritual
    4. Endless Dream
    3. Awaken
    2. Close To The Edge
    1. Gates of Delirium

I have to say it feels weird leaving out things like Starship Trooper, In the Presence of, Homeworld (the ladder), And You And I , Heart of the Sunrise and Sound Chaser.
    Last edited by Soundchaser413; 04-28-2022, 06:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Oldie on the Goldie
    replied
    Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post

Well, this thread was going for the side-longs, but I suppose we could rank mini-epics too. Yes has long songs on every album, so any ranking list for 'long' or 'mini-epics' would be like Rank All Non-Short Yes Songs and would have 50+ songs. We could do a top ten 'Mini-Epics' and keep it 9 minutes plus. I could say:

Mini-Epix in no particular order:

1) And You And I
    2) To Be Over
    3) Sound Chaser
    4) Starship Trooper
    5) Hear Of The Sunrise
    6) In The Presence Of
    7) Footprints
    8) Machine Messiah
    9) New Language
    10) Dreamtime

Indeed In The Presence Of has more of the feel of an epic ('movements' for example) than say Your Is No Disgrace or Roundabout, which are more like epic long songs which also go through a lot of 'sections' too though. Actually if you think of Dreamtime and ITPO as one song - part one and part two - that actually could be kind of an epic side-long. They are paired nicely - two ten minuters - on the album, kind of a two-movement symphony, like Shubert's Unfinished Symphony. That may work.
    Points taken. My list of top mini-epix would be pretty close to yours.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X