Rank the Yes Epix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post

wow thats a fascinating view of Awaken- how come may I ask?
    I've always found it pompous and overblown, sorry. Brought out the worst of Jon Anderson and Wakeman for me. I prefer it when Yes are a rock band.
    Maybe sitting through a week of it at Wembley put me off it, just as it did with Donovan, the support act.

Comment

It is overblown, mainly the last minute or so of that circle/cycle of fifths towards the end. But I like it, and it has my favorite Yes lyric of all time at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Davy View Post
        It is overblown, mainly the last minute or so of that circle/cycle of fifths towards the end. But I like it, and it has my favorite Yes lyric of all time at the end.
        I for one wouldn't call it overblown. It's supposed to build to a climax, to a majestic finale, almost like a classical orchestral piece. And then it whirls down and ends perfectly with Howe's guitar crescendo (the thing I miss the most on the ARW live version). I think the finale soars!

Comment

Well, one might be surprised… Racking up the Marillion songs in the same ballpark gets us a good 10 or 11 songs or so as well, and that's just the Hogarth era… (Their "epics in concert" album Size Matters from 2009 would probably be doubled in length now, just by adding the long ones from the albums since then.) But still, ok:

1) Close to the Edge - C'mon, what else am I going to say?
          2) The Revealing Science of God - I'm as surprised as you are, but the more I think of it, if I had one on repeat for a road trip, this might be one of the ones.
          3) Awaken - As I've said many times here and elsewhere, it's the ARW version I'm thinking of, which — heresy! — for me is definitive.
          4) The Gates of Delirium - Musically interesting, but lyrically less so, it doesn't leave me a lot of room for questioning or exploration, it's just too literal.
          5) That, That Is - Some great musical passages here, even if they don't quite come together.
          6) Endless Dream - Not my favourite Rabin song, but a fine attempt in good faith and spirit to meld a Yes history into a song.
          7) Ritual - The Yesshows version, thanks for asking.
          8) The Ancient - Less interesting and more scattershot than Ritual.
          9) The Remembering - I can skip the first nine minutes or so, no problem. Sorry not sorry.
          10) Mind Drive - My least interesting or musically favourite.

-- ) Fly From Here - Doesn't feel like "an epic" to me, it's three individual if somewhat related songs stretched out with an intro, and outro, and Bumby Ride. The less interesting half of that album, which to me pushed far better material to the wayside.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

I for one wouldn't call it overblown. It's supposed to build to a climax, to a majestic finale, almost like a classical orchestral piece. And then it whirls down and ends perfectly with Howe's guitar crescendo (the thing I miss the most on the ARW live version). I think the finale soars!
            That's OK, happy to disagree! I'm not good at the hippydippy side of Yes and Anderson, tho of course TFTO is fantastic and fairly hippydippy! I'm not good at mainstream romantic classical work either!

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
              I think Awaken sounds decent with Rabin, but that's just me. Different flavors in an assortment pack of Yes pastries. I'm open to that version, but I would agree that his solo on Yours Is No Disgrace live as being a little bit of that wankery when he's doing that type of Eddie Van Halen-style shredding in the middle where Howe usually does a pretty tasteful solo. For YIND, you kinda need that jazzy Howe solo for tension and to swing a bit. You don't get that with the Rabin version. That would be the opposite of his Awaken. Not saying I prefer the Rabin Awaken, it's just one other way to do it.
              I'm not going to rank songs - in the end that's pretty unsatisfactory. Having said that, if my arm was twisted I think I'd pick Awaken as the high watermark of Yes' achievements - simply because it's so complete in terms of conceptual thrust - the most coherent in terms of overall structure. That is in spite of the fact that I'd agree with criticisms of the 'central' section [it's not actually central, but it does present itself as something of an introspective interlude]. It makes absolute sense in terms of structure, but I just don't think Jon and Rick are up to making it interesting enough and it does feel as if it meanders for too long - although the transition is magnificent.

But Rabin's take is completely unlistenable to me - I think it's the single biggest travesty of any of the versions. Howe's guitar parts are absolutely key to the sublime climaxes - the apotheosis of the piece's message and perhaps the whole, quite singular ethos of Yes music.

Comment

1. The Remembering
                2. Revealing Science of God
                3. Close to the Edge
                4. Ritual
                5. Awaken
                6. Gates of Delerium
                7. The Ancient
                8. Endless Dream
                9. That That Is
                10. Fly From Here Suite
                11. Mind Drive

When I first got Tales back in Xmas 1974 for many years RSOG was my favourite, however over the past 30 years The Remembering has risen to prominence - maybe in part due to it being the least played live, but also because its just totally wonderful. 2 to 8 are totally interchangeable depending on what I'm listening to at the time. I've always liked Endless Dream, I just do, in fact I really like the whole Talk album. Of the KeyStudio stuff I prefer That That Is over Mind Drive - Mind Drive to me is them knowingly trying to redo a Yes epic for the 90's, whereas TTI just sounds less forced. FFH suite is only just behind mainly because of the breaks between the parts that make it feel more like a collection of songs that make up a suite as opposed to a long form piece of music. We will all have different views and opinions on these but I think we'd all agree that some of the greatest progressive rock music ever exists within these 11 epic tracks.

Comment

Its been a quiet afternoon - I had a couple of cancelled meetings so thought I'd cobble together the votes cast so far to see which tracks are ranked highest and lowest. I basically multiplied the number of times an entry was in in 1st to 11th position by 11 for first down to 1 for 11th and so far overall the ranking after 13 votes cast has come out (noting that each track for Topographic Oceans had to receive a top mark as one vote had the whole album at number one, and there were some votes that didn't rank all 11 tracks) as -
                  1. Close to the Edge
                  2. Gates of Delirium
                  3. Awaken
                  4. Revealing Science of God
                  5. Ritual
                  6. The Remembering
                  7. Endless Dream
                  8. Fly From Here Suite
                  9. That, That Is
                  10. The Ancient
                  11. Mind Drive
                  Number 1 votes cast were -
                  Close to the Edge - 6
                  The Remembering - 3
                  Gates of Delirium - 2
                  Revealing Science of God - 2
                  Awaken -1
                  Ritual -1
                  The Ancient -1
                  however if we remove the vote for Tales as an album at no 1 that leaves The Remembering and Gates of Delirium as joint second with one of the remaining three from Tales next alongside Awaken.

Number of votes at number 11
                  Fly From Here Suite - 3
                  Mind Drive - 3
                  The Ancient -1
                  That, That Is - 1

Highest position (removing Tales as an album for no 1) for Ritual was 3rd; That, That Is 4th; FFH and Endless Dream 5th; The Ancient 7th and Mind Drive 8th.

Comment

Okay...

1. The Gates Of Delirium
                    2. Awaken
                    3. Ritual
                    4. Close To The Edge
                    5. Fly From Here Suite
                    6. The Revealing Science Of God
                    7. The Ancient
                    8. Endless Dream
                    9. The Remembering
                    10. Mind Drive
                    11. That That Is

Comment

CTTE
                      The Remembering
                      Awaken
                      To Be Over
                      That/ That Is
                      GOD
                      RSOG
                      Ritual
                      The Prophet
                      Mind Drive

Comment

No one but me has included ITPO; isn't that considered an epic?

Comment

Add at least 5 minutes to it for it to become an epic. In The Presence Of may be an epic (and an excellent one - the And You And I of the new millennium), but we're talking mostly about the side-long epics. The only real exceptions are Awaken & Endless Dream which are 15-minuters. Enough to be a real short album side.
                          Last edited by Soundwaveseeker; 04-27-2022, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldie on the Goldie View Post
                            No one but me has included ITPO; isn't that considered an epic?
                            It feels that way, and I’d probably rank it above half the stuff on this list, sure. If Marillion can put “Kayleigh / Lavender / Heart Of Lothian” as one nine-minute track on Size Matters, you can do what you want here.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
                              Add at least 5 minutes to it for it to become an epic. In The Presence Of may be an epic (and an excellent one - the And You And I of the new millennium), but we're talking mostly about the side-long epics. The only real exceptions are Awaken & Endless Dream which are 15-minuters. Enough to be a real short album side.
                              There are an awful lot of Yes tracks that come into the same territory run-time wise. I fully agree with your comparison of ITPO with AYAI - I’d rank both of them among the top tier of Yes classics.

Comment

ITPO is one of my all-time favorites and I always thought of it as an epic (or at least a mini-epic) so that's why I included it in my list. It certainly has the grandeur and feel of a Yes epic, if not the run time.

Comment

Working...
                                X