Rank the Yes Epix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rank the Yes Epix

Rank the Yes epics! Unless you're Transatlantic or various other Neal Morse-related projects that has a 21-45 minute track on every album, Yes is your best bet for side-long suites and long rock symphonies! Of all the classic prog bands of the 70's, Yes probably has the most 15-22 minute tracks - epics. There are 11 of them.

For the sake of the thread, I define a Yes epic as a track that is 15-20+ minutes long and fits on one whole side of vinyl or most of a side. Most are 18-22 minutes long, but a couple are only 15+ minutes long. Why is 15 minutes an epic but not And You And I or New Language or any other 8,9,10 minute song? Well, we're talking Yes here. Gotta draw the line somewhere. Something like Awaken feels more like it's more in line with a 19 minute track with 'movements' than something like Sound Chaser, maybe. Awaken is the 'opus' of that album. A lot of these epics have movements, but not all - shorter Yes tracks can have movements too, just - we're going with the longest stuff here, the opus. So here's how I rank them:

In descending order:

11) Mind Drive - comes off as spare parts squished into an epic, great but oddly structured

10) Endless Dream - the Rabin era band's 'Awaken'. Cinematic and engaging

9) That, That Is - lots of lovely Yes passages. Sometimes it's below Endless Dream, today it's at number 9.

8) The Revealing Science Of God - least of the four Tales tracks, though I don't know why. It's like a long song rather than a rock symphony

7) The Ancient - almost a taste of what's to come in Relayer, plus fine acoustic Steve Howe moments

6) Fly From Here suite - maybe doesn't count as an 'epic' - made of separate standalone tracks, closer to Rush 2112 than Revealing Science of God. But it does run together well for the most part, with recurring themes.

5) Ritual - bass guitar on this is the reason Yes remains a favorite band, can't say Yes epic without saying Ritual.

4) Awaken - dramatic and heavenly, the ambient middle section will have you orbiting Neptune

3) Close To The Edge - probably everyone else's top epic, though overfamiliarity has knocked it down a notch or two for me. Still classic though

2) Gates Of Delirium - intense, then transcendent. One of prog rock's finest moments

1) The Remembering - this has emerged as my favorite. It's so magical that fairy dust oozes out of your stereo speakers to the point where you have glitter all over the floor and imbedded into the fibers of your carpet. Maybe it's better taken as part of Tales in one long listen rather than on its own, but great ethereal synths and great opening ballad. I love The Remembering.

0) 'The Source'/ambient track on OYE - that doesn't count.

How do you rank the long epic Yes tracks?

Another nice thread SWS. Until we can discuss Son of Snowflower Elder.

1.CTTE #bestalbumever

Timeless. Superb flow. Invention. Darin'.

2. SKYSCRAPER SOULS

Not strictly YES but an astonishin' achievement.
    Braide should at least write for the next album.

3. GATES OF DELIRIUM

Otherworldly. Great metallic tones from Steve.

4. TRSOG

Passage after great passage. Melodic. Flows

5. FFH

Stunnin' group of songs. Moody. Atmospheric. Ultimately transcendant.

6. THE REMEMBERIN'

Underrated. Sweet. Folky. Oceanic. Thematically strong. Plenty of magic dust.

THE REST

MD,TTI,R,TA,Awaken,ED are either too clunky. Stitched together. Borin' lyrics. Weak theme/concept

for eg. AWAKEN has some less than compellin' moments yet the best guitar solo in the canon. ED is too cold,loud and crunchy. TTI has sections that have never been introduced to eachother. MD is pretty cool. Not just transcendant enough though they tried. Ritual is overrated with awful percussion section. Ancient actually hurts the ears.

I can't be "taken out of the movie". The epic has to flow, bewitch, transport, no borin' bits. Time becomes immaterial.
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 04-24-2022, 09:18 PM.

Comment

In descending order:

11) The Ancient
      10) The Remembering
      09) Mind Drive
      08) That, That Is
      07) Fly From Here Suite
      06) Endless Dream
      05) Revealing Science of God
      04) Ritual
      03) Awaken
      02) Close to the Edge
      01) Gates of Delirium

Comment

1. Awaken
        2. Gates of Delerium
        3. Close to the Edge
        4. Ritual
        5. Fly From Here Suite
        6. Revealing Science of God
        7. Endless Dream
        8. Mind Drive
        9. The Remembering
        10. The Ancient
        11. That That Is
        The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
        -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
        -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

1. CTTE (flawless)
          2. GOD (flawless, but not as original)
          3. TRSOG (if only it had more oomph)
          4. The Remembering (folky epic, who knew?)

5. Awaken (best of the rest, the middle build up takes too long)
          6. Ritual (padding here and there)
          7. The Ancient (can’t stand the middle bit)
          8. Minddrive (main theme is just too poor)
          9. That, That Is (the ganglife bit is annoying)
          10. Endless Dream (the start is the best bit the rest is weak)
          11. Fly From Here (not an epic. It’s a suite with good and bad bits)

6-9 is an increasing padding galore

Comment

1. Tales from Topographic Oceans in its entirety
            2. Gates of Delirium
            3. Close to the Edge

[Aren't Siberian Khatru and And You And I mini-epics? Can't remember how long Mind Drive is, i have to say]
            [ditto Starship Trooper and To Be Over]

I've said it before and I will say it again: I am happy never to hear Awaken again, live or on album.

Comment

CTTE
              Gates
              Awaken
              ​​​​Ritual
              Endless Dream
              Remembering
              RSOG
              That, That Is
              The Ancient
              Mind Drive

I don't really think of FFH as a single epic, but if so, I would probably rank it even or just above Ritual, depending on the day.

Comment

Originally posted by madbear View Post
                1. Tales from Topographic Oceans in its entirety
                2. Gates of Delirium
                3. Close to the Edge

[Aren't Siberian Khatru and And You And I mini-epics? Can't remember how long Mind Drive is, i have to say]
                [ditto Starship Trooper and To Be Over]

I've said it before and I will say it again: I am happy never to hear Awaken again, live or on album.
                wow thats a fascinating view of Awaken- how come may I ask?
                The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

I actually did like the ARW version of Awaken and thought Rabin fit in well with that. Some Yesfans don't care for Trevor Rabin's guitar on the classic Yes material live, but I would say that Awaken is one particular track where Rabin soars and you don't really miss Steve Howe - he's able to carry it. It doesn't sound like he updated the song to sound modern, it sounds like he was a Yes guitarist in the 70's. I know that doesn't make sense, but I dunno.
                  Last edited by Soundwaveseeker; 04-25-2022, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
                    I actually did like the ARW version of Awaken and thought Rabin fit in well with that. Some Yesfans don't care for Trevor Rabin's guitar on the classic Yes material live, but I would say that Awaken is one particular track where Rabin soars and you don't miss really Steve Howe - he's able to carry it. It doesn't sound like he updated the song to sound modern, it sounds like he was a Yes guitarist in the 70's. I know that doesn't make sense, but I dunno.
                    No, I'm afraid it doesn't make sense. I'll never be persuaded that Rabin's style and technique adds anything I want to hear to Yes pieces. I just hear tasteless wankery.
                    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

I think Awaken sounds decent with Rabin, but that's just me. Different flavors in an assortment pack of Yes pastries. I'm open to that version, but I would agree that his solo on Yours Is No Disgrace live as being a little bit of that wankery when he's doing that type of Eddie Van Halen-style shredding in the middle where Howe usually does a pretty tasteful solo. For YIND, you kinda need that jazzy Howe solo for tension and to swing a bit. You don't get that with the Rabin version. That would be the opposite of his Awaken. Not saying I prefer the Rabin Awaken, it's just one other way to do it.

Comment

1. Ctte

2. Awaken

3. Ritual

Comment

11) Mind Drive
                          10) That, That Is
                          09) Fly From Here Suite
                          08) The Ancient
                          07) The Remembering
                          06) Endless Dream
                          05) Revealing Science of God
                          04) Ritual
                          03) Awaken
                          02) Close to the Edge
                          01) Gates of Delirium

My top 6 are the same as Mr. Holland's.

Comment

Today it's

11) Fly From Here Suite - main theme's just a little sing-songy for my taste but I like it
                            10)That, That Is - this is a patchy work with high highs but low lows, and struggles to have its own identity
                            09) Endless Dream - has grown on me over the years. I dig the vocal melodies. It's its own thing.
                            08) Mind Drive - I really didn't like it at first, but its simplicity, compared to That That Is, appeals at this point. bonus points for live version on Tsongas release
                            07) The Ancient • Giants Under The Sun - Wild-ass track OMG. I appreciate its defiance, in the face of a world full of more ordinary music. I used to wonder how I'd ever get to like it haha.
                            06) The Gates Of Delirium - I am only putting this sixth because of my love for the next five. Masterful and weird and beautiful.
                            05) Ritual • Nous Sommes Du Soleil - the very end of this song just crushes. The Yesshows version too, just that sequence of chords and Steve Howe's tone and note choices holy smoked moses
                            04) The Remembering • High The Memory - track truly keeps getting better, doesn't it? Hearing them execute those beautiful tripped out lyrics in three part harmony in live versions is really something else.
                            03) Awaken - I will never understand the Awaken naysayers. Never! Song is a damn magic show
                            02 ) Close To The Edge - best thing ever practically
                            01) The Revealing Science of God • Dance of the Dawn - something about this song is just so epic and transcendent to me. Since the first time I heard the opening chant. I remember feeling like the album lived up to its album cover and title and scope of concept, the moment I heard the chant bit. Took me years to feel like I really knew this album. But this first song I've always really liked. I think I even like it more than Close to the Edge these days, which would be my usual top choice. But I'm preferring me some RSOG right nah'

Comment

CTTE
                              GOD
                              Awaken
                              TTI
                              ITPO
                              The Remembering
                              Ritual
                              The Revealing
                              FFH
                              Mind Drive
                              Endless Dream