Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000-2008: What Went WRONG For "Classic YES"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alex peters View Post

Don't listen to lecturing liberals
    I'm a Conservative (and have pictures with Rick Wakeman at party conferences to prove it) so you're wrong on that too.

But thanks for confirming again that you are just an idiotic troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post

I'm a Conservative (and have pictures with Rick Wakeman at party conferences to prove it) so you're wrong on that too.

But thanks for confirming again that you are just an idiotic troll.
      Ok. Whatever you say! Thanks for the pleasantries. Have a nice day.

Comment

One thing I know with 100% certainty was the CTTE and Back tour in 2008 was getting canceled no matter what and the bands treatment of Jon and the bands immediate action in getting Benoit is part of the history of Yes in the 2000 to 2008 period that this thread is about
        Last edited by alex peters; 09-21-2022, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Hi there, I've been following this thread, and though I feel Arne actually sums up the entire situation succintly in either his first or second post, I've got to say I was a little dissappointed to see things degenerate to where someone is calling people 'leftists' as a slur and bringing in unpleasant political behaviour from the larger outside world in (whilst simultaneously claiming victimhood). This is yesfans, things get tasty enough when debating minutae of this band as it is. Kindly cut it out/ cool it down, please

Comment

Originally posted by tumnus View Post
            Hi there, I've been following this thread, and though I feel Arne actually sums up the entire situation succintly in either his first or second post, I've got to say I was a little dissappointed to see things degenerate to where someone is calling people 'leftists' as a slur and bringing in unpleasant political behaviour from the larger outside world in (whilst simultaneously claiming victimhood). This is yesfans, things get tasty enough when debating minutae of this band as it is. Kindly cut it out/ cool it down, please
            Ah. So this is your 3rd post here. A Mr. Bland was here. Never posted on Yes. He just started anti Trump and anti Maga threads.

It did not bother me what Mr. Bland said. He has the right to express his opinions. But whatever he said and it was what you and others would call troll like behavior it did not bother you obviously. You did not post "kindly cut it out". Why?

But now you come here and say "cut it out". The 2008 cancelled tour is part of history. Let's say Anderson was real sick in bad condition. The fact is Squire while Anderson is on his hospital bed in bad condition is calling Benoit to join the band. This is a true fact.

Did the band wait to see how long it would be for Anderson to recover? No!

Yes had not done anything from 2004 to 2008 and then as the Close and Back Tour is canceled you would think the band would rally around Anderson and wait for his recovery

But no! Squire phoned Benoit and the new Yes was on the road 3 months after the Close tour was canceled.

This is history whether you like it or not..And it does not reflect well on Yes.

I give the new owner here credit for not banning people who express their opinions. I bet you he has gotten over 10 private messages to ban me. Censoring and muzzling folks that express opinions that many do not like is a disease.

Comment

The bottom line is I may be wrong about the severity of Anderson's illness and I did not say he was not ill. I question the severity. But, maybe I am wrong about that.

But if I was wrong and he was very ill then the actions.of Squire and the rest of the band was disgraceful in replacing him while he was in bad condition. It was in real real real bad taste.

Squire and the rest of the band come out looking alot better if my scenario was true. The band looks real bad if in fact Anderson was gravely ill on his deathbed.
              Last edited by alex peters; 09-21-2022, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Ah, but you said it was on the verge of being cancelled because of poor ticket sales. What a coincidence. And how timely! And praise Jesus he has never had an asthma attack since.

The tour was canceled because of bad ticket sales and never rescheduled and as Anderson lies in a coma in a hospital Squire is calling Benoit for his 1st rehearsal with Yes.
                No asthma attack since? Not as severe and life threatening no, but Jon had respiratory problems for years until an operation around 2014 or 2015, after a South American solo tour, on which on the final date the audience had pull him through singing along because he was losing his voice (and breathing and singing have everything to do with one another), finally relieved him from much of his problems.

Anderson wasn't lying in a coma when Squire called Benoit, that's bullshit. Jon was home, keeping six months of rest on doctors orders. And yeah, Yes decided to move on, after years of inactivity, due to mostly personal tentions. I can't blame them for that, although the timing wasn't the best, but when is that ever in such a situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

No asthma attack since? Not as severe and life threatening no, but Jon had respiratory problems for years until an operation around 2014 or 2015, after a South American solo tour, on which on the final date the audience had pull him through singing along because he was losing his voice (and breathing and singing have everything to do with one another), finally relieved him from much of his problems.

Anderson wasn't lying in a coma when Squire called Benoit, that's bullshit. Jon was home, keeping six months of rest on doctors orders. And yeah, Yes decided to move on, after years of inactivity, due to mostly personal tentions. I can't blame them for that, although the timing wasn't the best, but when is that ever in such a situation.
                  He had a sinus procedure to clear out his sinus cavity. I had the same procedure done. No big deal. Sinus issues and respiratory problems are 2 different things entirely.

As I said around 2000 I talked to him at the Crescent Court Hotel in Dallas after the Masterworks show. He could barely whisper. His voice was horrible for the show. Squire immediately moved on from Anderson. Personal tensions? They always had personal tensions

The 2008 debacle cannot be sugar coated no matter how hard 1 tries

Comment

He had a sinus procedure to clear out his sinus cavity. I had the same procedure done. No big deal. Sinus issues and respiratory problems are 2 different things entirely.

As I said around 2000 I talked to him at the Crescent Court Hotel in Dallas after the Masterworks show. He could barely whisper. His voice was horrible for the show. Squire immediately moved on from Anderson. Personal tensions? They always had personal tensions

The 2008 debacle cannot be sugar coated no matter how hard 1 tries
                    Does this look even remotely like sugar coating?

https://www.yesfans.com/forum/main-f...3901#post13901

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Does this look even remotely like sugar coating?

https://www.yesfans.com/forum/main-f...3901#post13901
                      Wakeman is somewhat vague but you are more to the point. I agree with what Wakeman said and I agree by and large with what you posted.. But that was 2003/2004.

The players never got along from their early days. Everyone knew that in the early 1970's. One can tolerate the mother in law from hell if the bank account is growing. Once it stops growing the mother in law from hell becomes intolerable
                      Last edited by alex peters; 09-21-2022, 11:20 AM.

Comment

This is what down in 2008. Wakeman and Anderson were done with Yes after the 35th. Anderson did have to be convinced to do it after dropping out. Probably Wakeman said 1 more go around and that is it.

Anderson sold his interest and said he would be available at some point as a contract singer. The band approached Anderson for the 40th Close and Back Tour and Anderson's management negotiated an unrealistic split of the monies causing deep anger and bad blood. Various members have confirmed this. Squire felt he had to give in to Anderson's demands as he did not want to move on without Anderson. Squire has said this a long time ago.

Anderson's other demands were song selection and Wakeman's son.

When ticket sales were abysmal the tour was cancelled. Bad blood was running deep. Anderson never saw Squire again .

The acrimony and unpleasantness is on par with Peter Cetera and Chicago and Neil Young and David Crosby.

The rest is history and open to interpretation.
                        Last edited by alex peters; 09-21-2022, 11:41 AM.

Comment

The 2008 Close to the Edge and Back Tour was canceled because of bad ticket sales. Squire and Yes moved immediately as he was on his hospital bed to replace him with Benoit and when Anderson made his Sept statement Yes with a new singer was about to hit the road touring.

Very caring and touching by the band?

Everything in this post is a fact
                          But you have claimed that Anderson's health problems were made up as an excuse to cancel the tour. If that's so, then Anderson wasn't on a hospital bed. So, which is it? Are you claiming Anderson's health problems were faked, as previously, or were Anderson's health problems real, in which case they were the immediate reason for the tour being cancelled, as we always knew.

And if Anderson's health problems were faked, why didn't the entirely healthy Anderson just say so? Why did he pretend to be ill all these years to cover for a band that had rudely and (given he wasn't ill) unnecessarily replaced him?

Your conspiracy theory not only flies in the face of all the facts, but it doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Yesed View Post
                            I just know I was upset the CTTE & back tour was canceled. I had a bunch of good tickets for a show at Jones Beach, a great venue, which ended up being a beautiful night on that date, which is important for a show right on the water.
                            This is my remembrance also. I think I may have commented on this tour in another thread before. I was upset and disappointed for sure also………

…….We had a little extra money in the pocket - the tour was in the summer - 3 easy venues for us (same week as your Jones Beach) - Camden, Atlantic City , and Holmdel. Wrapped around some vacation. had Tix to all 3, well, I still have em. Lol. If memory serves, after Camden, we were going to stay in AC, see the show, head to NYC, and see Holmdel in the way back. Something like that. Anyhow, I recall being disappointed with the cancellation. At the time, I didn’t really know why, just personal and business I assumed like usual. There were some smaller venues mixed in that little tour, like AC.

It was scary when I heard Jon was ill. I have no idea when, how, etc, I heard. And at the time I was happy that they would be doing some shows in the interim, although in my mind at that time I really believed that once he was well, that he would rejoin and Carry on with whatever was the lineup at the time. With the Normal personal/business/band politics changing thru the years……

Little did little naive me know……….we still have all the drama though!! 😂😂

Comment

The bottom line is I may be wrong about the severity of Anderson's illness and I did not say he was not ill. I question the severity. But, maybe I am wrong about that.

But if I was wrong and he was very ill then the actions.of Squire and the rest of the band was disgraceful in replacing him while he was in bad condition. It was in real real real bad taste.

Squire and the rest of the band come out looking alot better if my scenario was true. The band looks real bad if in fact Anderson was gravely ill on his deathbed.
                              Ah... I see you have revised your position now. Thanks for acknowledging the possibility that you have got it wrong.

I am unclear why you are questioning the severity of Anderson's ill health...?

Squire, Howe and White did replace Anderson while he was ill. He wasn't on his deathbed at the point they got David in, as Arno has said, but then they were looking for a replacement much earlier than that. Squire wanted to get a replacement in quickly so that they could stick to the original planned dates (that came to me at the time from someone working with Squire). That Squire wanted to make the original planned dates suggests that ticket sales were not as bad as has been suggested.

Was that in "real real real bad taste"? Well, Anderson thought so, and Anderson fans have been arguing so for the last 14 years. As I understand it, Squire/Howe/White believed it unlikely that Anderson would be able to tour with Yes again for a long time, if ever. (They were right about the former, but not the latter.) They were unhappy because Anderson had been frustrating their touring and other plans since late 2004, leaving them somewhat in limbo and badly affecting their livelihoods. Indeed, they had considered dumping Anderson before 2008. Relations between Anderson and Squire were already bad by late 2003 anyway. The planned 2008 tour seems to have been more a business deal than a band of friends sallying out together. I'm not saying that justifies their behaviour, but I think I can understand some of their motivation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post

This is my remembrance also. I think I may have commented on this tour in another thread before. I was upset and disappointed for sure also………

…….We had a little extra money in the pocket - the tour was in the summer - 3 easy venues for us (same week as your Jones Beach) - Camden, Atlantic City , and Holmdel. Wrapped around some vacation. had Tix to all 3, well, I still have em. Lol. If memory serves, after Camden, we were going to stay in AC, see the show, head to NYC, and see Holmdel in the way back. Something like that. Anyhow, I recall being disappointed with the cancellation. At the time, I didn’t really know why, just personal and business I assumed like usual. There were some smaller venues mixed in that little tour, like AC.

It was scary when I heard Jon was ill. I have no idea when, how, etc, I heard. And at the time I was happy that they would be doing some shows in the interim, although in my mind at that time I really believed that once he was well, that he would rejoin and Carry on with whatever was the lineup at the time. With the Normal personal/business/band politics changing thru the years……

Little did little naive me know……….we still have all the drama though!! 😂😂
                                Yes, I was in the same boat. At that time I had gotten back into Yes and recently had discovered Yesfans. Got the tickets, was going to take some freinds and family. It was CTTE and back, how cool was that, and what a setlist might have sounded like at Jones Beach, my old stomping ground.
                                JA made it pretty clear subsequently, that that he got really sick, and the band said screw it, wouldnt wait for him. So no possible Anderson/Howe collaborations, or another CTTE.
                                I did get refunded, and delved into the newer Yes material, and have had a lot of fun on Yesfans ever since.

Comment

Working...
                                X