Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000-2008: What Went WRONG For "Classic YES"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alex peters View Post
    The bottom line is I may be wrong about the severity of Anderson's illness and I did not say he was not ill. I question the severity. But, maybe I am wrong about that.

But if I was wrong and he was very ill then the actions.of Squire and the rest of the band was disgraceful in replacing him while he was in bad condition. It was in real real real bad taste.

Squire and the rest of the band come out looking alot better if my scenario was true. The band looks real bad if in fact Anderson was gravely ill on his deathbed.
    Yes, you were 100% wrong about Jon's illness and your insinuating it was some sort of conspiracy or excuse was just bizarre. It was sad how sick he got, but it was also sad how he had treated his bandmates building up to his sickness.

The fact is, Jon held the band hostage over his unfair demands of the pie and his dictating they would not go in the studio but just play new music live and record that. The band wanted to do an album for years and possibly get Horn to produce. You add all that up and I don't blame them for looking for a new singer. Chris was truly hurt by all that. I don't blame him. And sure the CTTEAB Tour had to be resized down to smaller venues in some markets. But the same venue on that cancelled tour was rebooked in LA with Benoit! I was there........ But hey, believe what you want to.

Comment

We had tickets to go see Yes in Detroit with our best friends for the cancelled show, and because of that Betsy and I never got to see Jon + Chris + Steve together on stage. The whole thing is profoundly sad to me because it's the one huge hole in our otherwise most excellent shared concert experiences we have had over the past 16+ years that started with CSNY Living With War tour back in 2006 literally the show where we met.

Comment

Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post

Yes, you were 100% wrong about Jon's illness and your insinuating it was some sort of conspiracy or excuse was just bizarre. It was sad how sick he got, but it was also sad how he had treated his bandmates building up to his sickness.

The fact is, Jon held the band hostage over his unfair demands of the pie and his dictating they would not go in the studio but just play new music live and record that. The band wanted to do an album for years and possibly get Horn to produce. You add all that up and I don't blame them for looking for a new singer. Chris was truly hurt by all that. I don't blame him. And sure the CTTEAB Tour had to be resized down to smaller venues in some markets. But the same venue on that cancelled tour was rebooked in LA with Benoit! I was there........ But hey, believe what you want to.
        Who knows, that could have been a Yes masterstroke on Jon's part, hes been right at least a couple of time before. But then again Jon tends to be a procrastinator, and maybe wanted an easy way out to buy himself some time.

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

I do not recall anything on alt.music.yes quite as out there as the conspiracy theories Alex presents for us here.
          No, but the increasing level of animosity reminds me of those long gone days... πŸ˜‰

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post
            What I do know from reliable source (a friend talked to then tour manager Paul Silveira) is that the CTTE and Back tour was on the verge of either being cancelled or being rebooked in smaller venues already before Jon's hospitalisation due to lack of ticket sales (the tour was booked in pretty large sheds).
            I have no problem believing this. I remember in 2008, when I was still a regular on alt.music.yes, several people (including a diehard fan who had seen the band countless times) said that they would pass on the tour because it looked like some quick cash-grab thing. No shows were scheduled close to my home but I remember that I was not interested anyway and would have passed too.

I've always felt that Yes should have split after the 2004 tour. It was obvious that no new music was coming and that they were going through the motion. The last 18 years have not changed my mind because the new albums and the shows have not added anything significant to the band's legacy and the current lineup is simply subpar both as a live and a recording act. After 54 years, enough is enough.

Comment

I just joined the website and asked the question of what caused the split between the classic lineup band members. I think this explains it all and well, or as best as we will ever know. Thank you all again for your knowledge and love for Yes. It truly shows and it helps late comers to the party to understand and get up to speed. Appreciate all of you!

Comment

Ah. So this is your 3rd post here. A Mr. Bland was here. Never posted on Yes. He just started anti Trump and anti Maga threads.

It did not bother me what Mr. Bland said. He has the right to express his opinions. But whatever he said and it was what you and others would call troll like behavior it did not bother you obviously. You did not post "kindly cut it out". Why?

But now you come here and say "cut it out". The 2008 cancelled tour is part of history. Let's say Anderson was real sick in bad condition. The fact is Squire while Anderson is on his hospital bed in bad condition is calling Benoit to join the band. This is a true fact.

Did the band wait to see how long it would be for Anderson to recover? No!

Yes had not done anything from 2004 to 2008 and then as the Close and Back Tour is canceled you would think the band would rally around Anderson and wait for his recovery

But no! Squire phoned Benoit and the new Yes was on the road 3 months after the Close tour was canceled.

This is history whether you like it or not..And it does not reflect well on Yes.

I give the new owner here credit for not banning people who express their opinions. I bet you he has gotten over 10 private messages to ban me. Censoring and muzzling folks that express opinions that many do not like is a disease.
                Actually I was on the site under this username with around ten thousand posts and, and i think its been about twenty years now. I was pretty sad to see it go down, and more than happy in the summer to see it come back! But i dont use my long service as a stick to beat people with.

Look you seem a bit of a nutter, you are very rude, and i am simply go to try and put you on ignore (i think we can still do that? edit - nah, it seems not! I think I only used it once before anyway, but i'll not reveal who it was, suffice to say they filled everything up with spammy frothy stuff too)

but i implore you, take a step back and have a look at what you are doing. It isn't healthy, and in fact you are going round in circles now. Just relax a bit, take a breath and consider it isnt a subject worth getting yourself worked up about and also being abusive about. seriously
                Last edited by tumnus; 09-22-2022, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HankCPA View Post
                  I just joined the website and asked the question of what caused the split between the classic lineup band members. I think this explains it all and well, or as best as we will ever know. Thank you all again for your knowledge and love for Yes. It truly shows and it helps late comers to the party to understand and get up to speed. Appreciate all of you!
                  It was a mad time, for sure... I'd seen them play in essex (in an equestrian showground) in 2004 that was great... a standing gig! This made it rather rocking. Rick's Jag, or Bentley was parked up outside and people walking by it. I remember Steve Howe's pedal steel was set up on a set of rails for the tour, and on this show it broke free and kept sliding around, with a roadie frantically chasing it, spinal tap style. I didnt realise this would be the last time i'd see this line up.

I was very excited for the More Drama tour, seeing it as a kind of stop gap but a chance to do more varied songs, and having Geoff Downes along I thought was cool. At that time I really got back into Drama, and the second Buggles album (all that JG Ballard stuff was pretty cool) ... but yeah, it did get rather murky. I remember at that time Steve Nardelli was on here under various sock puppet aliases, boosting for him to be the singer in Yes!

I'd certainly like to hear more about the misuse of the promo funds for More Drama that was hinted at on this thread, as long as it is not going to get us into any legal trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by tumnus View Post

Actually I was on the site under this username with around ten thousand posts and, and i think its been about twenty years now. I was pretty sad to see it go down, and more than happy in the summer to see it come back! But i dont use my long service as a stick to beat people with.

Look you seem a bit of a nutter, you are very rude, and i am simply go to try and put you on ignore (i think we can still do that? edit - nah, it seems not! I think I only used it once before anyway, but i'll not reveal who it was, suffice to say they filled everything up with spammy frothy stuff too)

but i implore you, take a step back and have a look at what you are doing. It isn't healthy, and in fact you are going round in circles now. Just relax a bit, take a breath and consider it isnt a subject worth getting yourself worked up about and also being abusive about. seriously
                    To use the Ignore option, go to your user name at top right. From the drop down menu, go to User Settings, then from the Profile drop down menu, go to Account. Then scroll down for the Ignore field. If you start typing in the name of the person you want to ignore, it'll predict who you mean. Then click Save. I'd advise clicking Save twice, as it seems to be a thing...

You will unfortunately still see his posts if they're quoted by anyone else.

I remember you well from the old site, nice to have you here again.
                    Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 09-22-2022, 12:50 AM.
                    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by michelforest View Post
                      No, but the increasing level of animosity reminds me of those long gone days... πŸ˜‰
                      We all loved each other back then! Honest!

Comment

Well thank you for the lecture. I think you should look in the mirror on the nutter and rude comment. I did not call you a nutter. You calling me a nutter is abusive.. My opinions are strong on many issues. I do not back down until the facts prove me otherwise. Unlike many I will admit I am wrong at times.

No, what you see with you in all due respect and the LEFT is general is Intolerance towards others who have opinions that are contrary to yours. Shut them down! Ban them! Censorship with a capital C. It does not matter whether it is the controversial 2008 Close to Back tour or a political subject.

You need to relax. I am not worked up about anything. My life is great and wonderful.. Your lectures do not bother me. I want everyone to be happy. Mr. Ash and others cannot stand me but I enjoy his posts on cooking etc.

Why don't you and others chill out. If you see a post you disagree with rebute it with facts facts facts. Ultimately everyone must sometime agree to disagree and be happy.

The 2008 debacle has been avoided like the plague. No one mentions it until I did but it is history and the end of Yes as we knew them. But the truth is that tour was canceled because tickets did not sell. For a band that sold out football stadiums during the Relayer tour it was a shocking fall

Last edited by alex peters; 09-22-2022, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by michelforest View Post

I have no problem believing this. I remember in 2008, when I was still a regular on alt.music.yes, several people (including a diehard fan who had seen the band countless times) said that they would pass on the tour because it looked like some quick cash-grab thing. No shows were scheduled close to my home but I remember that I was not interested anyway and would have passed too.

I've always felt that Yes should have split after the 2004 tour. It was obvious that no new music was coming and that they were going through the motion. The last 18 years have not changed my mind because the new albums and the shows have not added anything significant to the band's legacy and the current lineup is simply subpar both as a live and a recording act. After 54 years, enough is enough.
                          I agree

Comment

Well thank you for the lecture. I think you should look in the mirror on the nutter and rude comment. I did not call you a nutter. You calling me a nutter is abusive.. My opinions are strong on many issues. I do not back down until the facts prove me otherwise. Unlike many I will admit I am wrong at times.

No, what you see with you in all due respect and the LEFT is general is Intolerance towards others who have opinions that are contrary to yours. Shut them down! Ban them! Censorship with a capital C. It does not matter whether it is the controversial 2008 Close to Back tour or a political subject.

You need to relax. I am not worked up about anything. My life is great and wonderful.. Your lectures do not bother me. I want everyone to be happy. Mr. Ash and others cannot stand me but I enjoy his posts on cooking etc.

Why don't you and others chill out. If you see a post you disagree with rebute it with facts facts facts. Ultimately everyone must sometime agree to disagree and be happy.

The 2008 debacle has been avoided like the plague. No one mentions it until I did but it is history and the end of Yes as we knew them. But the truth is that tour was canceled because tickets did not sell. For a band that sold out football stadiums during the Relayer tour it was a shocking fall
                            Oh dont be so dramatic, honestly

Comment

From a selfish go-to-shows perspective, I'm glad HSW carried on, even if it really was a new band. I've enjoyed the newer albums more than most of their '90s records.

Comment

Oh dont be so dramatic, honestly
                                This coming from a drama Queen?

Comment

Working...
                                X