Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What influences do you hear in Yes songs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
    Yes influences are many, some blatant and some subliminal. Throughout the band 's history you can hear traces of:

Beatles,
    Beach Boys,
    King Crimson,
    Sibelius,
    R&B/Stax/Motown,
    Lonnie Donegan,
    TV themes,
    psychedelia,
    cowboy music,
    AOR/hard rock,
    Stravinsky,
    Everly Brothers,
    Mahavishnu Orchestra,
    Kosmiche musik,
    Chuck Berry,
    The Association,
    film/soundtrack music,
    Chet Atkins,
    Elton John,
    Zappa,
    music concrete,
    hillbilly music,
    The Who,
    Simon & Garfunkel,
    electronic music,
    Bob Dylan,
    world music/ Native American music,
    Romantic period classical music,
    20th century period classical music,
    Santo & Johnny,
    new wave/post-punk,
    spiritual/church music,
    children's music/nursery rhymes,
    60's spy music,
    jazz/funk/fusion,
    Les Paul,
    minimalism,
    heavy metal,
    Eastern/mystical,
    The Nice,
    West Coast/San Francisco,
    nature sounds,
    and even a trace of hip-hop on 'State Of Play'.

and probably more.

All of this absorbed into the collective known as Yes, where it becomes part of the very fabric of its being.
    Wow, I thought you had it covered there, but I don’t see Vanilla Fudge in your list. (Unless they belong with psychedelia or West Coast/San Francisco?)

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post

Wow, I thought you had it covered there, but I don’t see Vanilla Fudge in your list. (Unless they belong with psychedelia or West Coast/San Francisco?)
      Ill seconded, that is a great list. But I don't see the Kinks.

Comment

Actually I did forget Vanilla Fudge, and also 'new age' as a genre. I suppose I can throw in Kinks as well as Floyd.

Comment

Anderson has spoken about The 5th Dimension as being very influential on him, particularly the concept album The Magic Garden. I don't really "hear it" hear it, but I take his word for it.

Comment

Bonanza, certainly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam I Am View Post
              Bonanza, certainly.
              If you're thinking of Yours is no Disgrace and Bruford's comment from YesYears about it, he was mistaken: the opening riff was inspired from The High Chaparral, not Bonanza, though both feature imposing white-haired men in the lead role, Leif Ericson in The High Chaparral, Lorne Green in Bonanza.
              Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
              Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Yesed View Post
                The first time JA saw King Crimson live he was rather impressed, and thought Yes needed to sound as good, at least technically. I've always thought Heart of the Sunrise sounded influenced by KC.
                I agree with everyone else: Yes had lots of influences and they'd all get mixed up. Howe doing some Atkins style picking, Bruford doing some jazz drumming, Anderson and Squire doing Everly Bros harmonies, Squire playing like McCartney, Anderson reading Hermann Hesse... But "Heart of the Sunrise" stands out for me as a piece that has a very clear influence: it's Yes trying to do a "21st Century Schizoid Man" or "In the Court of the Crimson King".

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

I agree with everyone else: Yes had lots of influences and they'd all get mixed up. Howe doing some Atkins style picking, Bruford doing some jazz drumming, Anderson and Squire doing Everly Bros harmonies, Squire playing like McCartney, Anderson reading Hermann Hesse... But "Heart of the Sunrise" stands out for me as a piece that has a very clear influence: it's Yes trying to do a "21st Century Schizoid Man" or "In the Court of the Crimson King".
                  When you hear it, you cant unhear it, in the best possible way. Its a healthy, yet subtle influence. HOTS was one of the top 5 first Yes songs I really got into as a young fan.

Comment

My Rastafarian brother in arms, the great Bob Marley.

Comment

The great Bob Marley, according to JA.

Comment

Working...
                      X