Clear All

• Harold Bland
    replied
    Steve Howe lost his creativity and began playing mostly scales around 1993

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post
    I remember talking to Vincent Gallo about a possible book on Squire. Wonder if that or any other interesting recordings may surface in the future. I know there is a bit of cool stuff in the vault or on some hard drives.... What is really intriguing is if there are any demo's with Taylor around....?
    Davison says there are Hawkins/Squire demos. What state they are in, I don't know. Whether anyone has access to them, I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• Somis Sound
    replied
    Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

Ultimately, P Stacey was busy with other projects, so the writing sessions that happened were just Chris and Gerard. Most of that material got used eventually by Squackett or Yes.

Ah. Love Paul's production and sounds he got on Syndestructable. Very raw and organic yet top quality. I remember talking to Chris and he was super excited about working with him and even mentioned him as a possibility as a Yes co-producer

I remember talking to Vincent Gallo about a possible book on Squire. Wonder if that or any other interesting recordings may surface in the future. I know there is a bit of cool stuff in the vault or on some hard drives.... What is really intriguing is if there are any demo's with Taylor around....?

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post
    A Squire/Johnson/Stacey album would have been sweet ! Love to hear some of those demos...
    Ultimately, P Stacey was busy with other projects, so the writing sessions that happened were just Chris and Gerard. Most of that material got used eventually by Squackett or Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Somis Sound
    replied

Squire and Johnson were working on material for a post-Syndestructible album to be released as a Chris Squire solo album (but in practice to be a Squire/Johnson/Paul Stacey collaboration). They came up with an idea, demo'd under the title "Ocean Song" IIRC, but the album as planned never happened. Squire took his part of the demo and used it in "The Gift of Love". (I checked with Gerard and he confirmed that was Chris's bit.) When that song didn't emerge, Squire went back and used more of the demo in "The Game" (thus Gerard getting a co-writing credit, although he had no involvement in this later development of the tune). Davison also contributed: like you, I presume a lot of the lyrics are from him.
    A Squire/Johnson/Stacey album would have been sweet ! Love to hear some of those demos... To me, The Game and Gift of Love are 2 very different songs, that just both have that same little melodic vocal hook from Chris. Seems The Game uses it more in the forefront, where Gift of Love it's sort of in the background. I love both songs, especially Gift of Love. There is such a fresh combination of musical chemistry there. Some familiar, some new. Chris really brought a lot of feeling to both songs. Something I don't detect on The Quest, obviously...
    Last edited by Somis Sound; 04-25-2022, 02:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris2210
    replied

Squire and Johnson were working on material for a post-Syndestructible album to be released as a Chris Squire solo album (but in practice to be a Squire/Johnson/Paul Stacey collaboration). They came up with an idea, demo'd under the title "Ocean Song" IIRC, but the album as planned never happened. Squire took his part of the demo and used it in "The Gift of Love". (I checked with Gerard and he confirmed that was Chris's bit.) When that song didn't emerge, Squire went back and used more of the demo in "The Game" (thus Gerard getting a co-writing credit, although he had no involvement in this later development of the tune). Davison also contributed: like you, I presume a lot of the lyrics are from him.
    Thanks Henry, that's very enlightening.

As for Gift of Love vs The Game I think I just prefer the latter, but it's a close-run thing. I'm happy to have both versions - they're different enough that there are things I can enjoy from each.

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied

huh i always assumed wrongly that Johnson deservered a cowriting credit with Gift of love as well...

I will say this I prefer Gift of Love to the game...

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post
    The Gift of Love is largely the basis of The Game which is my favourite track on Heaven and Earth and that is curiously credited to Squire, Johnson and... Davison. As there isn't much in the way of fresh thematic material I assume that contributions is mostly lyrics - I'm not overly taken by Davison's melodic contributions as far as I can glean what they are.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post

From a technical viewpoint I don't see how that's at all contentious. But I prefer the second line counter-melody singing in the lower register from Steve Howe in the 70s material.

Probably just because they're much greater songs.

I'm not really over familiar with how Rabin covers those parts live, but I've always found his take on the classic material fairly unlistenable because it inevitably leads to a massive let down in the more important guitar sequences. Actually when I say let down, for me personally it's like expecting Venison and being served Spam. I know some people like spam, but I don't find it to my taste.
    Spam, spam, spam, spam Spam, spam, spam, spam...

Someone was going to, so it might as well be me.

Leave a comment:

• Chris2210
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrisklenox View Post

Trevor Rabin is low key the best all around singer to ever be in Yes.
    From a technical viewpoint I don't see how that's at all contentious. But I prefer the second line counter-melody singing in the lower register from Steve Howe in the 70s material.

Probably just because they're much greater songs.

I'm not really over familiar with how Rabin covers those parts live, but I've always found his take on the classic material fairly unlistenable because it inevitably leads to a massive let down in the more important guitar sequences. Actually when I say let down, for me personally it's like expecting Venison and being served Spam. I know some people like spam, but I don't find it to my taste.

Leave a comment:

• Chrisklenox
    replied
    Ritual is the weakest track on Tales. (Still love it though)

Heaven and Earth will grow in popularity over time as there are more Davison studio albums to provide context.

Something’s Coming should have been included on Yesterdays.

Abilene is a much better song than Don’t Kill the Whale

Open Your Eyes is an excellent album with a few filler tracks

Rick Wakeman should not have returned in 1996 or 2002

Trevor Rabin is low key the best all around singer to ever be in Yes.

Leave a comment:

• micpoc
    replied
    Close To The Edge is better in reverse order: "Siberian Khatru" (admittedly, would be better with a full stop like they do live), "And You And I", and ending with "Close To The Edge".

Leave a comment:

• Dantalion Rides Again
    replied
    Cool post! The constant evaluation and reevaluation of their albums that we all do helps to give each other the chance to reassess them over time. It's affirming to me, that there's value in these types of exercises, whether it's ranking things, or just shaking up common perceptions. I dig that you like The Ancient best, and value Tormato so highly. And it's high time I'm not the only person that thinks Teakbois is straight-up great.

These days I just sorta roll my eyes when someone declares something 'garbage'. Personally I was struggling thru Song of Seven because I really didn't like the lyrics on it, but I recognize that I'm bringing an expectation to the experience. I just don't feel it's fair to call it garbage, you know what I mean? I just didn't dig it. Maybe I will some other time.

Hot take while I'm here: I like Open Your Eyes more than Keys (studio). OYE sounds like it wants to be there, Keys sounds like it's on the job. Open Your Eyes has some lyrical moments that are questionable for sure, but even those tracks have lots of value. I think what hooked me on this album is that it was in a CD player at work and just stayed in there for a long time and got extra play.. then it just grew on me until one day I was like, man this album is pretty great! Good thing I gave it a really good chance. It was like a guilty pleasure at first, like a Kiss album or something. Now I'm just plain ol standing behind it.

Leave a comment:

• Elizabeth "The Phish"
    replied
    Ooh, this one is interesting. I like telling people about my hot takes. So I'll just list some.

1) "Survival" is one of the weaker tracks from self-titled. Still like it a fair amount though.
    2) Title track is one of the weaker tracks off Time and a Word. It's good but I prefer the version from Keys to Ascension 2.
    3) Like the OP has said, I'd also say that "A Venture" is one of the top hitters of The Yes Album.
    4) While I really like the two albums, they're still in the lower parts of my Yes ranking. I'm of course talking about The Yes Album and Fragile, the Classic Era Yes albums. They don't necessarily have songs I don't not like but there are albums that I prefer over them. A fair amount of them in-fact.
    5) It's hard to think about a hot take about Close to the Edge, if I were to think of one then I guess it would be that I prefer Rabin's sound on the song than Howe's but I don't really know if that's a hot take or not. But yeah, if I would like to listen to this song, I would much rather listen to the version on YesYears than the studio or the Yessongs version.
    6) I guess the next one is Yessongs. About that one, I just don't listen to it that much because the live era isn't the most interesting to me. I find the '90s/early 2000s live shows more interesting in concept. Of course, Close to the Edge Tour is really good but even from the '70s, I definitely prefer Tourmato to this one.
    7) I think someone who has seen my post about my favourite albums probably would guess what my hot take about Tales from Topographic Oceans would be but I guess I'll just say it here too. My take is that "The Ancient (Giants Under the Sun)" is the most interesting track off the album, or just in general Yes ethos as well. Also "The Revealing Science of God (Dance of the Dawn" is my least favourite of the bunch. I guess that's double the hot take on one album.
    8) Just likethe hot take 4, Relayer is also towards the lower half of my ranking. It's not bad but I definitely don't like it as much as I used to before. And I still don't click with all of "To Be Over".
    9) I've seen that "Parallels" get the most flack out of Going for the One but honestly it's my favourite off the album and it's like in my Top 10 favourite Yessongs.
    10) Tormato, huh. Yeah. Gotta say, easily top 3 from the '70s. I think that pretty much explains this one. Lol.
    11) Yeah, I don't really have a Drama hot take anymore because the album has been getting its due recently so yeah. I guess, Benoit and Oliver version of "Machine Messiah" is my favourite one but I don't really have things to say about this one. I definitely don't have a hot take about 90125 as well considering it's like the most popular Yes album, so skipping that one. (Unless you consider liking the album is a "hot" take because it's usually not liked in prog purist circles.)
    12) Yes, I did not forget about Yesshows. And it's pretty good. But if I've seen one take that I disagree with usually about it is that, usually people claim that the version of "Ritual (Nous Sommes du Soleil)" is the best version of the song from what I've seen, but I much prefer the studio version to it. Though there are versions of the song I prefer more than the studio one.
    13) 9012Live (The video release to be specific.) has my favourite version of "Starship Trooper". Well, done by Yes anyway. (The Rick Wakeman version with Brian May is the one that comes close to this version imo.)
    14) I guess,liking Big Generator more than 90125 is kinda of a hot take but both are still top tier Yes albums so ehh. Though outside of that I think my hot take about it is that title track is one of my favourites off the album which is a track I've seen be really controversial. Probably because it sounds insanely '80s and that heavy riff might not be everyone's cup of tea I guess.
    15) "Teakbois" is my top 3 from Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe. Yeah, that's a hot take if I've seen one.
    16) I guess that pretty much being love with Union (Well, for like 12/15 tracks anyway.) is a hot take so yeah. Though ironically, "Evensong", "Masquerade" and "Take the Water to the Mountain" are my least favourites which I've seen get fair amounts of love. But I still cannot forgive what Elias did to my beloved track "Without Hope You Cannot Start the Day". That song got massacred the most but it's still one of my favourites at least.
    17) This is kinda a bonus but even though it is one of my least favourite YesWest tracks, I still really like "Love Conquers All".
    18) Wow, this list is huge, huh. I can still continue anyway. But yeah, the next one is Talk being my favourite Yes album like ever but I've been seeing it get love these days so that makes me happy as heck. Also "Where Will You Be" is such an awesome showcase of Rabin's guitar prowess.
    19) I actually would've expected the two Keys to Ascension albums to get more love but I guess, I was wrong. But if I'm being honest, I absolutely love Keys to Ascension related stuff, be it the multiple covers, studio stuff, the live stuff. I'm just really sad that the studio stuff gets overshadowed by the live stuff, especially on the firs album.
    20) I think Open Your Eyes is kinda underrated in the fandom. It's one of my least favourites of the band but outside of a few songs, it has some of my favourite Yes moments so can't really hate it.

I think that might be enough actually. That's a lotta Yes opinions on one post, huh.

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied
    The living tree is good if I want to fall asleep... just thinking about it YAWN makes me....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Leave a comment:

Working...
X