Yes Hot Takes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post
    The Gift of Love is largely the basis of The Game which is my favourite track on Heaven and Earth and that is curiously credited to Squire, Johnson and... Davison. As there isn't much in the way of fresh thematic material I assume that contributions is mostly lyrics - I'm not overly taken by Davison's melodic contributions as far as I can glean what they are.
    Squire and Johnson were working on material for a post-Syndestructible album to be released as a Chris Squire solo album (but in practice to be a Squire/Johnson/Paul Stacey collaboration). They came up with an idea, demo'd under the title "Ocean Song" IIRC, but the album as planned never happened. Squire took his part of the demo and used it in "The Gift of Love". (I checked with Gerard and he confirmed that was Chris's bit.) When that song didn't emerge, Squire went back and used more of the demo in "The Game" (thus Gerard getting a co-writing credit, although he had no involvement in this later development of the tune). Davison also contributed: like you, I presume a lot of the lyrics are from him.

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

Squire and Johnson were working on material for a post-Syndestructible album to be released as a Chris Squire solo album (but in practice to be a Squire/Johnson/Paul Stacey collaboration). They came up with an idea, demo'd under the title "Ocean Song" IIRC, but the album as planned never happened. Squire took his part of the demo and used it in "The Gift of Love". (I checked with Gerard and he confirmed that was Chris's bit.) When that song didn't emerge, Squire went back and used more of the demo in "The Game" (thus Gerard getting a co-writing credit, although he had no involvement in this later development of the tune). Davison also contributed: like you, I presume a lot of the lyrics are from him.
      huh i always assumed wrongly that Johnson deservered a cowriting credit with Gift of love as well...

I will say this I prefer Gift of Love to the game...

Comment

Thanks Henry, that's very enlightening.

As for Gift of Love vs The Game I think I just prefer the latter, but it's a close-run thing. I'm happy to have both versions - they're different enough that there are things I can enjoy from each.

Comment

A Squire/Johnson/Stacey album would have been sweet ! Love to hear some of those demos... To me, The Game and Gift of Love are 2 very different songs, that just both have that same little melodic vocal hook from Chris. Seems The Game uses it more in the forefront, where Gift of Love it's sort of in the background. I love both songs, especially Gift of Love. There is such a fresh combination of musical chemistry there. Some familiar, some new. Chris really brought a lot of feeling to both songs. Something I don't detect on The Quest, obviously...
          Last edited by Somis Sound; 04-25-2022, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post
            A Squire/Johnson/Stacey album would have been sweet ! Love to hear some of those demos...
            Ultimately, P Stacey was busy with other projects, so the writing sessions that happened were just Chris and Gerard. Most of that material got used eventually by Squackett or Yes.

Comment

Ultimately, P Stacey was busy with other projects, so the writing sessions that happened were just Chris and Gerard. Most of that material got used eventually by Squackett or Yes.

Ah. Love Paul's production and sounds he got on Syndestructable. Very raw and organic yet top quality. I remember talking to Chris and he was super excited about working with him and even mentioned him as a possibility as a Yes co-producer

I remember talking to Vincent Gallo about a possible book on Squire. Wonder if that or any other interesting recordings may surface in the future. I know there is a bit of cool stuff in the vault or on some hard drives.... What is really intriguing is if there are any demo's with Taylor around....?

Comment

Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post
                I remember talking to Vincent Gallo about a possible book on Squire. Wonder if that or any other interesting recordings may surface in the future. I know there is a bit of cool stuff in the vault or on some hard drives.... What is really intriguing is if there are any demo's with Taylor around....?
                Davison says there are Hawkins/Squire demos. What state they are in, I don't know. Whether anyone has access to them, I don't know.

Comment

Steve Howe lost his creativity and began playing mostly scales around 1993

Comment

Working...
                  X