• Show
Clear All

• kkleinschmidt
    replied
    The RS article was heartbreaking...

Leave a comment:

• Somis Sound
    replied
    I glanced at that and thought it said Taylor was in Joy Division.

A terrible loss, such an amazing drummer and person.... Way too early. RIP

Leave a comment:

• downbyariver
    replied
    Here is the Jon Davison part from the Rolling Stone article linked to in Post #67:

The Hawkins family relocated to Laguna Beach, California, where Taylor made a friend in Jon Davison, who has since become the lead singer for Yes thanks to Hawkins’ recommendation. “I have this vivid memory of Taylor calling me when we were 10 and expressing with such personality and excitement about discovering the album The Game, by Queen,” Davison says. “From that moment on, he became completely enamored with their drummer, Roger Taylor. Not long after, he convinced his parents to buy him a drum set.”

In addition to Queen, Hawkins became obsessed with Rush, Yes, Genesis, Black Sabbath, and the Police, and tried to learn the drum parts to his favorite songs. He played in a series of cover bands with Davison throughout junior high and high school, caring about virtually nothing besides surfing and music.

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    New article in Rolling Stone, there's at least one quote from Juano in there.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ibute-1347073/

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    I came across a post somewhere - maybe on Twitter - where a journalist had come to interview Taylor pre-show years before and they ended up getting in a conversation about relationships because the guy mentioned in passing that he and his girlfriend had split up days before, and Taylor turned into an Agony Aunt right on the spot (he included video to prove it) and it was really touching to see him connect with a stranger like that.

Leave a comment:

• kkleinschmidt
    replied
    Great story Mr. Holland and thanks for sharing it!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Holland
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220414_123752.jpg Views:	3 Size:	35.1 KB ID:	12994 I think this story tells a lot about Hawkins' personality. And many colleagues and friends have praised his gentle soul.

To me it comes across as if Hawkins was highly sensitive. The positive side of this was his gentle soul, but being highly sensitive also comes with disadvantages, one of those being more prone to addiction as literature shows:

https://www.zonmw.nl/en/news-and-fun...bstance-abuse/

https://highlysensitive.org/10/keith...f-sensitivity/

https://highlysensitiverefuge.com/al...sitive-person/

It just goes to show that, despite what some think or wish, not much is black or white, good or bad. Life is more complex and deep than that.

Last edited by Mr. Holland; 04-14-2022, 03:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cybrkhatru
    replied
    I'm still in shock and so saddened over this.

As it turns out, I had the pleasure of being in that band that honored Squire in 2012, along with Davison, Bruhns, Claudio, and Taylor. Somewhere in Cyberland is the whole set. 5 songs.

He was a wonderful guy and I can't fathom that he is gone.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Yep. Sadly Foo Fighters cancel all touring this year.

Leave a comment:

• luvyesmusic
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
    Thanks for sharing that, Ash. Something new for me.

I had talked to Chris after an Atlantic City show. He had his youngest daughter with him. I really didn't want to interrupt, but I found a good time. I told him I was going to take my daughter to their upcoming show in Washington d.c.. When I told him I had front row seats, he stood right up, stuck his big mitt, er hand out, shook my hand, and said "Thank you!".
    ​​​​​​
    The next show was the last time I saw and talked with him. He had the world"s greatest laugh. A laugh I heard more than a few times over the years, some of which I instigated, but the man was funny, and had a joy of life. I had seen previously how tired he was the last time he performed Awaken at another show, having a hard time, taking off and handing off the three neck base.

One other time I shared with Chris, that I knew on my second date with my future wife at a YES-show, that this would be the woman I would marry. ( I blame Jon Anderson ;-) ) He looked at me quite seriously, and said, "You're not still married to the same woman, are you?" he said in jest. We both broke into laughter, right there, and then.

So anyhow, I'm one of the last folks at the M & G, with my young daughter. I explain to my daughter how much Chris loved his daughter. Chris told me how much he loved all his children. Pretty poingnent, as a last conversation. No humor, no shared laughing , just Chris expressing love. Very touching as the last thing I heard from Chris.

Leave a comment:

• Chrisklenox
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
    Thanks for the link. Yikes, yeah we are very lucky that Chris was close to the hospital that day.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrisklenox View Post

I had never heard that! I assumed adding Billy was to help with those huge harmonies and to cover the dense sound of the Talk tracks. What was going on with Squire at the time?
    Squire's ex-manager, publisher and longstanding friend shares his memories of the late bassist.

Leave a comment:

• Davy
    replied
    He'd had a heart attack earlier in the year.

Leave a comment:

• Chrisklenox
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

That's right. Billy was originally brought in, because it looked for a while like Squire wouldn't make the tour. When he did, it was decided to use Billy as an utility player (and perhaps as back up).
    I had never heard that! I assumed adding Billy was to help with those huge harmonies and to cover the dense sound of the Talk tracks. What was going on with Squire at the time?

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Holland
    replied
    Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

wasn't Billy brought on the talk tour for that reason!
    That's right. Billy was originally brought in, because it looked for a while like Squire wouldn't make the tour. When he did, it was decided to use Billy as an utility player (and perhaps as back up).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X