Taylor Hawkins is Dead at Age 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good words, well said dbar x
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Liam Gallagher dedicates Live Forever last night to Taylor Hawkins. The crowd singalong is epic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FOz3PnkX0AQcC85.jpeg.jpg Views:	1 Size:	132.3 KB ID:	11063

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

I find it hard to phantom that thought process. In the same way I always am surprised when people get mad when someone who suffers from depression comits suicide. "They could have made another choice, they could've seeked help" etc. It shows a complete lack IMO of understanding how a disease like depression works, of the neurological, physiological effects it actually has. And the same goes for addiction.

And you can have "your" opinion on lots of stuff, but not on scientific facts. Facts are called facts for a reason. Facts aren't debatable, that's what makes a fact a fact. You can't for instance have an opinion on whether Chris Squire was the bass player for a band called Yes. He was. It's not a matter of opinion.
        There are just As many scientific articles, by just as many degreed authors, with facts, to the contrary, available.

We will have to agree to disagree.

And, it should be noted, I completely respect your opinion and view. And I certainly did read a lot of articles supporting your view today. A lot!

I will endeavor to keep an open mind. And be more empathetic moving forward to respect those who share your feelings.

It is not lost on me, and I have not forgotten, that you wrote back to me when i was very upset about my situation at home. And I clearly remember you are quite strong and dealing with your own issues. I go back and read that thread all the time, believe me, and send good thoughts to all who contributed. Be well
        Last edited by Gtkgasman; 03-27-2022, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post

There are just As many scientific articles, by just as many degreed authors, with facts, to the contrary, available.

We will have to agree to disagree.

And, it should be noted, I completely respect your opinion and view. And I certainly did read a lot of articles supporting your view today. A lot!

I will endeavor to keep an open mind. And be more empathetic moving forward to respect those who share your feelings.

It is not lost on me, and I have not forgotten, that you wrote back to me when i was very upset about my situation at home. And I clearly remember you are quite strong and dealing with your own issues. I go back and read that thread all the time, believe me, and send good thoughts to all who contributed. Be well
          Thank you. And for the the record, the discussion was nothing personal, just a heartfelt respectful exchanged.

Comment

Perry Farrell’s tribute includes a Yes mention.
            Perry Farrell posted a touching video eulogy to the late Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins on his social media. Farrell, who refers to Hawkins as his “best friend” in the clip, talked about their relationship and his respect for Hawkins as a musician. “Taylor Hawkins died yesterday. He was my best friend — beloved in my home by my wife, my children, even my dogs,” Farrell began. “He was one of the most passionate drummers I’ve ever seen in my lifetime. When I think of him, I sum it up with one word: velocity. He had the gift to maintain a confident, striking and stroking velocity on drums.”
            Last edited by Frumious B; 03-28-2022, 11:18 AM.
            “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

I am heartbroken for his family, the band, his friends, and his legion of fans. Hard to believe that such a vibrant man and such a powerhouse musician as he was is gone.

A few years before I dug into Yes, I picked up the Foo Fighters 1st album at my local cd store, really just based on the cover. I fell in love with it, and my friends and I played the hell out of it. We all liked very different music, but we all agreed on the Foo Fighters. We couldn’t even all agree on The Beatles (there's always one), so that really says something about the Foo’s appeal. We could not wait for the second album, and of course when that dropped, we were over the moon. Pretty much the whole world was at that point.

What’s next? We hear that Grohl is getting a drummer in the band so that he could focus on guitar and vocals. We found out his name was Taylor Hawkins. My friends and I were all skeptical. How could Grohl find someone to top Grohl? Who could match his dexterity, intensity, tone, and passion? We figured the band would sink into mediocrity and be remembered as a flash in the pan… then we heard Taylor for the first time. We were unanimously blown away. He’s *better* than Grohl almost? Taylor was immediately at the top of the list of modern drummers in our book. We gushed over his high energy playing.

A few years later I got into Yes at age 15. Fast forward several years, I was delighted to learn that Taylor was a Yes fan, and was friends with the guys and all that. It made me hold him in higher regard, and it warmed my heart knowing that there was such a happy link between these two very different bands that I love. For me, Taylor felt like part of the Yes family, especially bearing the Jon D - Squire - Hawkins story.

Another random Taylor thing for me personally: I started getting into The Beach Boys in 2020, and really connected with Dennis Wilson’s Pacific Ocean Blue. My wife and I have played the album almost daily in the two years since. Our copy ends with “Holy Man”, and it’s one of our favorite tracks. I had no idea until reading this thread last night that Taylor is the singer on that one track. He absolutely became Dennis on the song so well, that I never bothered to look at the liner notes.

RIP Taylor. I hope the many lives you have touched find comfort, and I hope you rest easy having left your mark on the world.
              Last edited by Chrisklenox; 03-28-2022, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I watched an interesting show that had 'Pat Smears " of the Foo Fighters on it a few years back.. Btw, I didn't know until recently he was the road guitarist for Nirvana. But before that, he was the guitarist, or a guitarist in The Germs. He was talking about "Darby Crash' the lead singer, who had a lot of mental and drug issues. ( This has little to do with Mr. Hawkins, because honestly, a grown man, is going to do a lot of stupid things, more so than almost any woman ,). Darby decided he was going to go out, and go out, trying to be famous. He o.d.'d on purpose to try and make the papers/news. Problem was, according to Pat, Darby died on Dec. 7, 1980. John Lennon was shot and killed the very next day. For obvious reasons, Darby Crash's death wasn't even mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisklenox View Post
                  Another random Taylor thing for me personally: I started getting into The Beach Boys in 2020, and really connected with Dennis Wilson’s Pacific Ocean Blue. My wife and I have played the album almost daily in the two years since. Our copy ends with “Holy Man”, and it’s one of our favorite tracks. I had no idea until reading this thread last night that Taylor is the singer on that one track. He absolutely became Dennis on the song so well, that I never bothered to look at the liner notes.
                  Thank you for pointing that out. I've had that album for I don't know how long, and when I saw this post, I looked it up, and my version of track 33 is even entitled "Holy Man (Taylor Hawkins Version)" and I guess I never really listened to it closely or looked at what I was listening to. Maybe I just forgot. Listening to it now.

What an interesting link. Denny was another one who died too soon.
                  "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

We are fortunate that Yes never lost someone in similar circumstances. We came close to substance abuse problems taking Wakeman in the mid-seventies and Squire in the nineties.

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post
                      We are fortunate that Yes never lost someone in similar circumstances. We came close to substance abuse problems taking Wakeman in the mid-seventies and Squire in the nineties.
                      wasn't Billy brought on the talk tour for that reason!

Comment

Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

wasn't Billy brought on the talk tour for that reason!
                        That's right. Billy was originally brought in, because it looked for a while like Squire wouldn't make the tour. When he did, it was decided to use Billy as an utility player (and perhaps as back up).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

That's right. Billy was originally brought in, because it looked for a while like Squire wouldn't make the tour. When he did, it was decided to use Billy as an utility player (and perhaps as back up).
                          I had never heard that! I assumed adding Billy was to help with those huge harmonies and to cover the dense sound of the Talk tracks. What was going on with Squire at the time?

Comment

He'd had a heart attack earlier in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisklenox View Post

I had never heard that! I assumed adding Billy was to help with those huge harmonies and to cover the dense sound of the Talk tracks. What was going on with Squire at the time?
                              Squire's ex-manager, publisher and longstanding friend shares his memories of the late bassist.
                              Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                              Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
                                Thanks for the link. Yikes, yeah we are very lucky that Chris was close to the hospital that day.

Comment

Working...
                                X