The Word Is Yes: #127 - Evensong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carlmarx38 View Post

OK, you're entitled to your opinion. But I think you'll be surprised to see how many YESfans agree it's one of the best songs on TALK (as evidenced by its inclusion on the second ARW Tour, although I've heard they didn't pull it off Live with the ARW band as well as they had on the original Talk album and tour).

How about this one :

179. "Saving My Heart" (from 1991's Union)

Lifeless reggae-pop. With all the obvious talent on-hand during the Union sessions (Anderson, Howe, Rick Wakeman, Bill Bruford, Alan White, Trevor Rabin, Tony Kaye, and an army of producers and session players), this is the best they could scrape together?

(ouch!)
    Though I don’t care for the song, i wouldn’t call it lifeless. The writers also don’t seem to know that not all members were involved in all songs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post

Though I don’t care for the song, i wouldn’t call it lifeless.
      The live version of "Saving My Heart" was hilarious (at least at this show) :

(sorry luna, I know you're sickof me posting this vid 😎)
      Last edited by carlmarx38; 01-20-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
        I like the track and wish it were slightly longer. But it almost does belong on a King crimson album. And there is another duo track similar to Evensong on tony Levin's first solo album World Diary, again featuring Levin on stick and Bruford on Simmons electronic drums. It's called Etude in the Key Of Guildford, and could have been from the same sessions as Evensong for all I know - the liner notes don't specify. Union is a better album than a lot give it credit for.
        You could try "Jewels" on Tony Levin's World Diary, which is a longer piece based on the same ABWH duo performance, so a sort of cousin to "Evensong".

Comment

Even though it is such a short song, I have always really enjoyed it. It creates an interesting feeling and mood. Shame it wasn't developed into something longer with some different parts. Union is actually an album I really like. And Evensong is beautiful... Levin has such a unique creative style. As did Chris Squire. I've really been enjoying the Stick Men project. As well as Levin Torn White!

Comment

For a contrast, the Ultimate Classic Rock (UCR) website did exactly the same thing :

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-songs-ranked/

IMO, both lists more or less Butcher the entire canon......here's an example, what the UCR site says about "I Am Waiting" (one of my favorite songs from TALK) .......

" 175. "I Am Waiting" (from 1994's Talk)

Outside of a Dire Straits-y slide guitar lead, “I Am Waiting” is seriously soulless. The less said, the better.
            It's funny because I feel the exact opposite about that song {I Am Waiting] I think it's the most beautifully plangent theme written by Rabin which is in contrast to the way I feel about a fair bit of his output - a bit bland and generic for my taste. That last word, as they say, there's no accounting for it.

I know what is meant about the bridge however [as someone else mentioned]. I don't much mind the contrast in this specific instance, but it is characteristic of an element of his writing I'm not fond of.

Comment

As for Evensong... not unpleasant [making it one of the more palatable tracks on Union], but it's not so wonderful it's elevated beyond what it is, which is an interesting but insubstantial musical fragment.

Comment

It’s a beautiful—but worlds too short—piece.
                Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Comment

For a contrast, the Ultimate Classic Rock (UCR) website did exactly the same thing :

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-songs-ranked/

IMO, both lists more or less Butcher the entire canon......here's an example, what the UCR site says about "I Am Waiting" (one of my favorite songs from TALK) .......

" 175. "I Am Waiting" (from 1994's Talk)

Outside of a Dire Straits-y slide guitar lead, “I Am Waiting” is seriously soulless. The less said, the better.
                  And here’s what they have to say about Sweetness.

134. "Sweetness" (from 1969's Yes)

“She knows just what to say to make a sunny day,” Anderson coos on this snoozy, atmospheric love song. His bandmates try to keep the ship afloat, piling on high-octave bass riffs and tremolo guitar effects. Their efforts are in vain.

Comment

Working...
                  X