Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books about Yes & Books about Yes Lyrics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all. New guy here. I think Music of Yes (Martin) is the best book about the band that I’ve read. Is it a tad pretentious? Sure, but it’s well-written and the author’s enthusiasm is refreshing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wordnat View Post
      Hi all. New guy here. I think Music of Yes (Martin) is the best book about the band that I’ve read. Is it a tad pretentious? Sure, but it’s well-written and the author’s enthusiasm is refreshing.
      It's a curious entry into the Yes library; I enjoyed some of it (most notably, the sheer level of enthusiasm he clearly has for the band, as you mention), but steeping the subject matter in such religious / philosophical / academic contexts feels awkwardly incongruous and plain silly a lot of the time - the citations alone are worthy of Monty Python; yet, he's actually serious! I found myself digging back into it on occasion just to revel in the author's ability to write about a bunch of blokes playing '70s pop rock with such gravity. I shelved it around the part where he starts equating Squire to Charlie Parker. That's not a good...parallel.

Comment

Working...
      X