Rick Wakeman's Intro to "Hold On"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick Wakeman's Intro to "Hold On"

On ARW's live album, Rick Wakeman includes a brief intro to "Hold On" (or just a quick bit of noodling to acknowledge Jon Anderson saying his name to the crowd) that was not on the original 90125 album version of "Hold On", and yet sounds very familiar, like it could be from one of Yes' other works, Wakeman's solo works (This would be my guess), something adapted from classical music, or whatever.

I'm probably going to feel a little stupid when this turns out to be something I should have instantly recognized, but what is he playing here?

Or is it an original intro he wrote for the live performance of "Hold On" to give a little personal flair to a song that he wasn't originally involved with back in 1983 (Nothing wrong with that.)?

Last edited by downbyariver; 12-24-2022, 12:01 AM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

I don’t recognize the tune, but it sounds like one of his 70s ditties. Improvised it’s not, because bass and drums are following quite closely. Anyway, Rick has always been excellent at noodling about. I bet if you’d ask him to do an on the spot impro of, let’s say, Owner in the style of Bach, he could easily do it!

Comment

It just doesn't belong next to Hold On.

Comment

I don’t remember if from when I saw them, but I like it. A little variety in an otherwise fixed set.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post
          I don’t recognize the tune, but it sounds like one of his 70s ditties. Improvised it’s not, because bass and drums are following quite closely. Anyway, Rick has always been excellent at noodling about. I bet if you’d ask him to do an on the spot impro of, let’s say, Owner in the style of Bach, he could easily do it!
          There was a re-working of all of the songs - something which I thought was cool , not that I liked all of their choices and this is a good example of a re: working and it sounded great to me

Comment

It's fine. But is it fine for "Hold On?" I still don't know.
            Rabin-esque
            my labor of love (and obsessive research)
            rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

sounds like the solo from OTSWoF turned into an Irish jig

Comment

He’s noodling but damn, they sound good. Lee just pummeling that rick bass and sounding tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Davy View Post
                  It just doesn't belong next to Hold On.
                  It is a medieval Irish jig that is as close to fitting next to Hold On as Dublin is close to Tokyo. I believe this is a prime example of no matter what a great bromance they had, Rick's Renaissance Fair vibe just does not vibe with Trevor's cool 80's rock thing. And probably why in the studio ARW just didn't vibe musically.... 2 great musicians, 2 different styles.
                  Last edited by Somis Sound; 12-28-2022, 03:59 PM.

Comment

That's a very impressive version of the song ! I passed on the live album but I'm having second thoughts. Maybe when they re-release it with real cover art. The intro is just Rick having some fun but I love what he does in the song itself...
                    Last edited by Sharp On Attack; 12-29-2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp On Attack View Post
                      That's a very impressive version of the song ! I passed on the live album but I'm having second thoughts. Maybe when they re-release it with real cover art. The intro is just Rick having some fun but I love what he does in the song itself...
                      A re-release with "real cover art", and especially, no faux crowd noises! But I get the feeling Rabin doesn't really care that much about Yes/ARW unless it gets him out playing live in front a bunch of people. Hence no ARW new music and just a solo album. But a re-release done right would be awesome, if he bothers!

Comment

For me the live album is worth listening to, even just for the version of Rhythm of Love. Jon skips a verse but the guitar solo and Moog solo are great. The song is improved a lot compared to the studio version.

I prefer Rick’s additions to the YesWest songs. Trevor’s take on classic Yes songs are hit and miss for me, but he does a good job.

And I don’t mind the crowd noise.

Comment

I think it is noodling that perhaps just became part of the song by the time that got to that show? I think it is cool. There were many changes to songs big and small. I feel most of them worked. I agree with what some say here, another release of the tour is needed. They have the songs they played that was not part of this tour to make another live album.

Comment

Originally posted by JMKUSA View Post
                            For me the live album is worth listening to, even just for the version of Rhythm of Love. Jon skips a verse but the guitar solo and Moog solo are great. The song is improved a lot compared to the studio version.

I prefer Rick’s additions to the YesWest songs. Trevor’s take on classic Yes songs are hit and miss for me, but he does a good job.

And I don’t mind the crowd noise.
                            I like the release, but like with every Yes live release from the past 10 years; there are better live versions of the songs out there, either on official releases or on really good quality bootlegs. So when listening to live Yes, I tend to listen to the live versions I like best.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

I like the release, but like with every Yes live release from the past 10 years; there are better live versions of the songs out there, either on official releases or on really good quality bootlegs. So when listening to live Yes, I tend to listen to the live versions I like best.
                              To add, my favourite version of Rhythm of Love is actually from a concert/line up without Rabin. From the OYE tour in 1997:

Love the soloing at the end where Steve, Billy and Igor take turns and Steve is on the Pedal steel.

Comment

Working...
                              X