Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARW priority: Tour, or New Album?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by John Vehadija View Post
    I really hope Trevor Rabin will do an effort to release his solo album then help produce an ARW album
    I’d like that too, but my fear is Jon just isn’t willing or focused enough to put the work in. 1000 Hands was his best album in years, and it was based on mostly old recordings brushed off. What was his last really strong *contemporary* album — Magnification? His move to Patreon feels a lot more like a dumping ground of old scraps or unfinished pieces, not an avenue to new work. And fair enough, he’s, what, 77? Got a right to retire, for sure. If he wanted to release old concerts or whatever to help fund a retirement, count me in. But especially if Trevor wants to write and record “on site”, that might be the discipline Jon needs to pull something special off, something truly career-capping, a quintessential Yes final statement. But sure seems unlikely…

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by PeterCologne View Post

      You are right in so far that it is disappointing that YesF did not deliver more after their fine liveshows and the promising Fragile and some little Rock 'n' Roll-wit with some charming teasing (holy trinity and stuff). While it is on the other hand disappointing that the recent incarnations of Yes-Official continues under the name of Yes and delivers uninspired albums and and even worse lifeless shows.
      The ARW show I saw was really, really good, better than the 2016 and 2018 Yes shows I caught, but the Yestival and Royal Affair shows were also really, really good. From my experience YesO seems to have more fun when they don't have to play as long and have some friendly competition.

      Comment


        #33
        Neither one is a priority.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post
          I really went all-in on digital around 2004, as soon as the iTunes store opened in Canada, and vastly prefer digital music, although I've made exceptions for physical CDs, either deluxe editions of new albums where the artist goes this approach, or some kind of deluxe remaster. And I've seen some pretty fun ideas: one artist recorded an album of demos (pre-funded via campaign), then had the patrons vote on songs to be recorded for the album proper; another artists offered as a special reward a box of detritus from the recording studio, which may have included half empty bottles of whiskey, broken guitar strings, etc; or an evening with the band 'round the pub for fish and chips one evening while recording (in the Before Times, of course). The point being, there are a lot of fun ways to make albums an experience, and make some dough while doing so.
          Anderson and Wakeman are doing and have done crowdsourcing approaches, but I think Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin expect to be making more money than the income streams generated by the examples you've seen before. Anderson expressed surprise that 1000 Hands didn't get nominated for a Grammy: if you think you are at that level of success, you are not going to do fish and chips one evening without a very large pledge. But those large pledges -- or, say, Anderson's Platinum level Patreon -- are out of the reach of most Yes fans.

          Comment


            #35
            I’d love an album, but I have zero hope of it happening.
            “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

              Anderson and Wakeman are doing and have done crowdsourcing approaches, but I think Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin expect to be making more money than the income streams generated by the examples you've seen before. Anderson expressed surprise that 1000 Hands didn't get nominated for a Grammy: if you think you are at that level of success, you are not going to do fish and chips one evening without a very large pledge. But those large pledges -- or, say, Anderson's Platinum level Patreon -- are out of the reach of most Yes fans.
              I think this Patreon business is honestly one of the worst ideas Anderson has ever had.
              “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by bondegezou View Post
                Anderson expressed surprise that 1000 Hands didn't get nominated for a Grammy:
                I'm sure Anderson is surprised that Taylor Swift hasn't called him do do a duet with her.

                Comment


                  #38
                  I think one of the biggest challenges ARW face, should ARW ever re-appear, is being called "Yes". The Brian Lanes and Larry Magids of this world are always going to push for what we got last time: a nostalgia tour. Those $ signs in people's eyes -- and you can include some of the band membership in that description -- get in the way of any artistic vision.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by bondegezou View Post
                    Those $ signs in people's eyes -- and you can include some of the band membership in that description -- get in the way of any artistic vision.
                    So, some in the band is Anderson?

                    I'm curious why the main reason or two ARW didn't release an album still isn't known beyond what the members say. Wakeman told Highfell that they didn't have enough songs but that isn't a real reason in their case.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by bondegezou View Post
                      I think one of the biggest challenges ARW face, should ARW ever re-appear, is being called "Yes". The Brian Lanes and Larry Magids of this world are always going to push for what we got last time: a nostalgia tour.
                      I think we got that, but that’s not all we got. It honestly felt to me like simultaneously a first step forward, playing some classics, but also pushing them in (mostly) interesting and rejuvenated ways; and but also a farewell tour, a final period at the end of the Yes statement. I’ve said before, it took me a long time to really grok Awaken, and it’s ARW’s playing that did it, so who knows what they might have accomplished in round 2 — or whether they needed to, making those final sentiments in Awaken the end of the band’s story. Naturally ymmv depending on whether you think that worked or whether the players gelled and added to the respective Howe era/Rabin era songs.

                      Thinking of that compared to YesO’s full album tours, and I know which one sounds like the oldies act/nostalgia tour to me. (Fingers and antlers are very much crossed that, should the 2022 tour happen, a good percentage of The Quest will be played alongside Relayer — in fact I’d rather they play anything from FFH onwards over Relayer, but that’s Canadians for you )

                      (But I also recall some of Bruford’s comments on ABWH, and how it was liberating to not be Yes, ironically as they actively recaptured the classic 1972 sound twenty years later. Whether they successfully pushed *that* forward is also up to the listener, but it seems like Bruford thought they did, before being subsumed by the Yes brand/freight train again…)

                      Those $ signs in people's eyes -- and you can include some of the band membership in that description -- get in the way of any artistic vision.
                      Possibly, but they might be not be in all that much disagreement anyways. As long as two of Roundabout, Starship Trooper, and OoaLH are played in the encores, everyone’s happy. I can’t quite remember which tour it was that King Crimson omitted any pre-1994 material, and kudos to them for doing that, but I just don’t see that singular direction coming from anyone in Yes either (granted, KC has a long history of not playing the hit[s], so it wouldn’t really be much of a surprise to anyone). Maybe I’m wrong and someone really does want to play Big Generator in its entirety…? O-or more Tormato? Or the ambient track from OYE, but this time in the middle of they show (useful pee break for the aging audience, for sure!)? A good 1/4 of Union Live is solo spots anyways, so there’s certainly precedent to take up concert time doing whatever they want. I have to take the set lists for both ARW & YesO as basically being whatever they want.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by Frumious B View Post
                        I’d love an album, but I have zero hope of it happening.
                        Agree. I see less than zero hope of an lp. And zero hope of another tour. The time has passed. It was great fun at the time!!!!!

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Neither. If Anderson can be arsed to put his ego aside then Yes might welcome him back [but i am fine with the current singer]. If Wakeman can realise that the stuff he hated, like Topographic Oceans, is the best Yes have ever done, then maybe they could rejoin the band. Otherwise, forget it, I am happy with today's Yes.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by madbear View Post
                            Neither. If Anderson can be arsed to put his ego aside then Yes might welcome him back [but i am fine with the current singer]. If Wakeman can realise that the stuff he hated, like Topographic Oceans, is the best Yes have ever done, then maybe they could rejoin the band. Otherwise, forget it, I am happy with today's Yes.
                            Wakeman played the Ritual and TRSOG with Yes 2002-2004. Yes played those two songs in the latter part of the 2010s while not playing The Remembering and only the Leaves of Green ending to The Ancient. What am I missing? I think Howe would be the first to admit that fans wouldn't want to sit through The Remembering and The Ancient in their entirety which is probably why they haven't been performed since the mid 1970s..

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by madbear View Post
                              Neither. If Anderson can be arsed to put his ego aside then Yes might welcome him back [but i am fine with the current singer]. If Wakeman can realise that the stuff he hated, like Topographic Oceans, is the best Yes have ever done, then maybe they could rejoin the band. Otherwise, forget it, I am happy with today's Yes.
                              You can think TO is the best thing Yes has done, and also think it doesn’t make for a great concert experience when played in its entirety. (Also, I don’t think Wakeman hated every minute of TO, I suspect he likes some of it, maybe a lot of it, but also remembers the time period, the divisions between him and the band, and maybe the resulting double album as less than ideal.) But I can’t see any way for Anderson or Wakeman to rejoin YesO at this point. Which is also fine.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by josuev80 View Post
                                Wakeman played the Ritual and TRSOG with Yes 2002-2004. Yes played those two songs in the latter part of the 2010s while not playing The Remembering and only the Leaves of Green ending to The Ancient. What am I missing? I think Howe would be the first to admit that fans wouldn't want to sit through The Remembering and The Ancient in their entirety which is probably why they haven't been performed since the mid 1970s..
                                Very true. Rick thought that parts of Tales were padded out too much. Perhaps he could rewrite the parts that he hated.

                                I'd love to see Yes featuring ARW just one more time. Ideally, Iain Hornal could provide additional/backing vocals. He's got tremendous versatility and range.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X