YES- Rating out of 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YES- Rating out of 5?

the debut to a band we have all come to love over the years- how do you rate their beginnings?
    0%
    52.63%
    26.32%
    15.79%
    5.26%
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Pretty solid overall even if the production is sketchy at times. Great start to the journey that lied ahead

Comment

It's good but not great. Highlights for me are survival, Harold Land, every little thing, sweetness and looking around.

Comment

Dismal.

Survival is just about bearable. The rest isn't.

Comment

A 2 from me. It got better after the 1st

Comment

Originally posted by alex peters View Post
            A 2 from me. It got better after the 1st
            Same for me. Survival is ‘objectively’ a good song, but I never got into it.
            Sweetness and Yesterday And Today have caused me toothaches.
            Every Little Thing is too cute. I See You is kind of rambling along to nowhere.

So that leaves Beyond And Before, Looking Around and Harold Land.
            These I love, yes even that quirky last one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post

Same for me. Survival is ‘objectively’ a good song, but I never got into it.
              Sweetness and Yesterday And Today have caused me toothaches.
              Every Little Thing is too cute. I See You is kind of rambling along to nowhere.

So that leaves Beyond And Before, Looking Around and Harold Land.
              These I love, yes even that quirky last one.
              Those are the only 3 for me also

Comment

The first album!

The GOOD:

The very first sound you hear when you start the album is Chris Squire's bass. That sets you up for the whole 50+ year saga. It is only fitting that Chris is the first thing you hear. That bass was always there.

For a first album, it's quite good, and a lot better than a lot of people's half-baked first steps. Everything you like about Yes is already there: the tight harmonies, the high-in-the-mix bass, jazzy guitar wails, snarling organ, tricky drum patterns, cosmic lyrics. Nothing much has changed. It has been and continues to be Yes. I like most of this album, maybe Harold Land and the Beatles cover are 1% lesser. But Peter Banks sounds hot on the middle duet with Bruford in 'I See You'. It's like his Yours Is No Disgrace. Really tasty guitar. One of his best moments with Yes. Everybody loves Survival, but the two gentle tracks, Sweetness and Yesterday And Today are just wonderful, beautiful melodies. Some say they sound syrupy and naive, well sometimes we need that in life. And listen to that organ in Looking Around. It's gritty and brash, that organ sounding like metal shavings being all ground up in some uncalibrated industrial machine. Tony Kaye is the unsung hero of the early Yes, the hammond features prominently on both albums from this era. They pretty much had their sound mostly in place, they just needed to be clear of the 60's and on the 70's path, and that usually takes a couple albums for bands. But for a debut, Yes (the album) sounds bold and adventurous as anything they would cook up with more beloved lineups.

The BAD:

You know, I can't think of anything 'bad' about the debut album. Maybe the production or sound, though it was early on and the recording was to be expected in 1969. Actually a lot better than a lot of things recorded during the late 60's. It was the next to last album I collected by Yes in 1985.

Also, I think maybe Something's Coming should have been on the album, with maybe Harold Land as the B-side instead. That was really good, and would have been the longest track on the album.

The UGLY:

Yes is a coming and going kinda band. Certain lineups have reformed and went on to make additional albums and exist a little longer. The Tales lineup, the 90125 lineup, even the Drama lineup had a second go at it. The original lineup however was only there for a couple years. I've always thought it would have been cool if the 1968-70 Yes reformed for an album and small club/theater tour, maybe around 2005 or so. Just one album/tour and then revert back to whatever lineup they would be after that. An album with a couple covers, like the first two, lots of hammond, good rock material. I can't imagine Bruford wanting to do that, so the original Yes with Alan White instead of Bill, just for an album & tour. There always was more for that version of Yes to do. Too bad it didn't last a little longer or reform later.

But fortunately there was/is a lot branches from that tree in Flash, Badger, The Syn, Empire & Mabel Greer's Toyshop to satisfy any appetite for the original Yes with Peter Banks. I give Yes first album a good 4 or maybe even a 4.20. Fine start.

Comment

I made an alternate album for this.

Side A

1. Something’s Coming
                  2. Looking Around
                  3. I See You
                  4. Yesterday And Today

Side B

1. Beyond And Before
                  2. Every Little Thing
                  3. Sweetness
                  4. Survival

Comment

Rather than comparing it to the stellar stuff yet to come, I'm choosing to rate it on its own merits as a debut album. Excellent stuff for a first time out. Great bass guitar sound. Hammond sounds awesome.

A low 4

Comment

Working...
                    X