Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tormato with Tony Kaye

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tormato with Tony Kaye

    It was brought up on this forum probably more than once that some of the best YES albums are those with a new member or a returning member.

    What if Rick Wakeman left after "Going For The One" and Tony Kaye returned for "Tormato"? Would it be much different, better or worse?

    #2
    OMG, so much better!!! , I think the Tormato keyboard department would have benefitted immensely from fewer notes, more chords, more feel and less flash, and more earthy sounds. Tony would fit the bill perfectly, provided that they allowed him to play (I guess he would be safe without either of the Trevors around 😏)

    I do like Tormato a fair bit as it is - it does have its charms, but as a "what if", it's fun to think what TK could have done with the material. We may have ended up with something with a classic The Yes Album sound.
    Last edited by WindOfChange; 10-31-2022, 11:42 AM.

    Comment


      #3
      Worse imho. I love Tormato just the way it is !

      Comment


        #4
        Hmmm... Never thought of that by am intrigued by the notion. Strip the Rick off it and insert solid rock Hammond organ. Some of those tracks would have taken on a more Yes Album/Drama vibe. And a lot less havoc for Steve to have contended with. And might have been more palatable for the FM DJs. Fun idea.

        But how would it have turned out if Patrick returned for Tormato?

        Comment


          #5
          Actually, Tormato may have been better in a few ways - insert that growling, gritty hammond instead of birotron and some of the songs may have taken new life. Think of organ on Arriving UFO instead of polymoog stabs. And Madrigal piano would have been more in line with 'Yesterday And Today', it may have been even more beautiful a song. We'll never know. I like Tormato as is, but 'what if's' are always interesting.

          As for Moraz on Tormato, I'm not sure. It may have had elements of Out In The Sun had he appeared on that. That's not a bad thing

          Comment


            #6
            Interesting. I think the keys and the keys sounds on Tormato are bit spazzo.... Tony might have mellowed it out and brought it down to earth and gave it more edge. He does a great job on the Circa Yes Medley ! Tony is da Man....

            But I don't think you can have Madrigal without Rick. Oh wait, Steve and JD did it!
            Last edited by Somis Sound; 10-31-2022, 02:43 PM.

            Comment


              #7
              This is interesting. I've thought many times that Tormato might have been helped by substituting a Hammond for just a portion of the keyboard sounds - but I think that some of the keyboard sounds and certainly Wakeman's playing gave Tormato much of it's signature sound. I always thought that Rick's use of the Polymoog and Squire's employment of the Mutron/Eventide gave this record a sound unlike other Yes albums, and at the time I thought it to be quite....progressive! The Birotron to some extent contributed to that unique soundscape as well. But it was a LOT of synth and I always thought a little bit of Hammond would have given it a little more backbone.
              But I think that alot of the great stuff on Tormato has a lot to do with Wakeman's technique and the manner in which he would orchestrate multiple keyboards into one song, and how he would modulate the themes written by the other players.
              Tony is a strong and soulful player but I think Wakeman's playing style is very much a positive factor on this record.

              By the way - does anyone know when that Tormato book is coming out?

              Comment


                #8
                Rick does seem to be out of place on Tormato a bit. Though I love the album overall as it is, its more of straight away Yes rock album where the keys dont blend too well, and should be at least lowered and blended better in the mix, given Ricks tonal choices. Funny enough I think Geoff did better on Drama than Rick did on Tormato. I'd take Kaye on keys, with, of course Wakeman guesting on Mandrigal.

                Comment


                  #9
                  No. Wakeman is the best. Or was the best in his prime. I enjoy Tormato but it lacks a bit of polish and refinement. It is the final fully completed classic Yes album and it comes across to me as let's finish this up NOW as I am tired of looking at all your faces every day.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Yesed View Post
                    Rick does seem to be out of place on Tormato a bit. Though I love the album overall as it is, its more of straight away Yes rock album where the keys dont blend too well, and should be at least lowered and blended better in the mix, given Ricks tonal choices. Funny enough I think Geoff did better on Drama than Rick did on Tormato. I'd take Kaye on keys, with, of course Wakeman guesting on Mandrigal.
                    Ok, Wakeman on Madrigal. Then, how about Kaye on Parallels?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Bill M View Post

                      Ok, Wakeman on Madrigal. Then, how about Kaye on Parallels?
                      No! But yes, Parallels is kind of a straight away Yes rock song. But it’s where Wakeman shines. On the entire album, for that matter. Last great classic lineup Yes album.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Frankly, I think that both Going For the One and Tormato would have been better with Moraz on them instead of Wakeman.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Yesed View Post

                          No! But yes, Parallels is kind of a straight away Yes rock song. But it’s where Wakeman shines. On the entire album, for that matter. Last great classic lineup Yes album.
                          I love Wakeman on most of Going for the One. I listened to Parallels today and have an issue with the church organ on that track, however. I do like the Church organ on Awaken.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Bill M View Post

                            I love Wakeman on most of Going for the One. I listened to Parallels today and have an issue with the church organ on that track, however. I do like the Church organ on Awaken.
                            Agreed, I prefer the demo and live versions by a mile.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by pianozach View Post
                              Frankly, I think that both Going For the One and Tormato would have been better with Moraz on them instead of Wakeman.
                              Moraz on GFTO would be interesting, rather competitive I would imagine. But as it is so good as it is, it’s hard to imagine it being better with Patrick.
                              As far as Tormato I can’t imagine it being worse with him.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X