Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tormato- Rating out of 5?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tormato- Rating out of 5?

    Now on into the 70s- is this a madrigal album to you? Do you rejoice at its sound?
    22
    5
    27.27%
    6
    4
    31.82%
    7
    3
    27.27%
    6
    2
    9.09%
    2
    1
    4.55%
    1
    The Definitive YES Albums

    -The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

    #2
    I think it’s one of the weakest - if not the weakest - of all the 70s albums. Yet it’s one I play more than most.

    I find it very easy to listen to and it is still a part of their greatest run. Score out of five? Forget it - I wouldn’t even know what an objective criteria was for myself.

    Comment


      #3
      2
      Compared to its potential it's a total disappointment. Like good teacher it would be possible to scrape together some fractional points to make it a high 3 or low 4, but like a good teacher they would only do that to struggling students, and not the eminent ones who are just lazy.

      This is a lazy album, phoned in delivery (and not in a good way, as on GFtO ), and mostly a private parts measuring tour de force instead of a musical one.
      I like the beginning and end, Future Times/Rejoce, Don't Kill the Whale, Onward, and OtSWoF. The rest is just like the Paris session demos.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by pjt View Post
        2
        Compared to its potential it's a total disappointment. Like good teacher it would be possible to scrape together some fractional points to make it a high 3 or low 4, but like a good teacher they would only do that to struggling students, and not the eminent ones who are just lazy.

        This is a lazy album, phoned in delivery (and not in a good way, as on GFtO ), and mostly a private parts measuring tour de force instead of a musical one.
        I like the beginning and end, Future Times/Rejoce, Don't Kill the Whale, Onward, and OtSWoF. The rest is just like the Paris session demos.
        Phoned in delivery? Lazy? I must protest. You may or may not like the tunes, but there can be no denying that everyone in the band was completely involved and completely all over it. Resulting as some say in a cluttered cacophony, or as I say in a delightfully frantic, busy bee bunch of songs.
        I think Jon (somewhat condescending) said that countering acusations of him being too dominating, he deliberately let loose the reigns and have everybody chipping in. If anything, the songs might need some more breathing room, but I like the album fine as it is, and think of it in no way as inferior to GFTO, for instance.

        I’m giving it 4. But it’s more like 4.5.
        Last edited by Ceasar’s Palace; 05-11-2022, 07:07 AM.

        Comment


          #5
          Five stars here. One of my very favourite Yes albums. It's a bit of a rough diamond, but one I like to get out regularly - there's always something to surprise or delight me. From the get go there's lots of energy and it's a succinct set of songs, no waffly waffle bits.

          And it's got the best cover, none of that tepid Roger Dean twaddle...

          Comment


            #6
            I gave it a generous 3. A few nice songs intermingled with a couple of Dogs. The band had burnt out by 1980. I saw the show. In the round. The live show was great but unfortunately the end of the Wakeman era was at hand.

            Comment


              #7
              4


              Play it more than a lot of others. Has quirky,eccentric magic dust all over it. UFO is a joyride. OTSWOF is sublime, esp the tense excitement of the openin'. M is a pretty ballad, methinks. O is movin'. And also sublime.
              FT/R is a bouncy, martial openin'. Great synths from Rick. RR is just a pure banger. Please, for the love of
              g-d, play it Live. DKTW is even better Live.

              Comment


                #8
                is this a madrigal album to you? Yep I sure do. My intro to the band and this was my first show

                Do you rejoice at its sound? I've never really had an issue with the sound on this. I even like Rick's keys and Arriving UFO!!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Four stars, maybe 4.5.

                  Tormato is a special album for me, like it a lot. I play it more often than some other albums like Fragile and Going For The One. Very quirky yet kinda down to Earth Yes album with maybe one splotch of humor as well. Is it a weaker album? I enjoy it despite or even because of its quirks.

                  The GOOD:

                  Chris' bass sound is unusual, only sounds like this mostly on this album - like he's using a combination of a wah wah pedal and a flanger? Similar thing with Wakeman's Birotron. These instrumental features make the album unique in the catalogue.
                  Songs again, which fine. Not every album need/ls a 20 minute track. This is the first Yes album since Time & A Word to feature primarily shorter (7 minutes and under). That's 6 albums later. I think they did a decent job of getting back into the swing of shorter tunes. A lot of material was recorded or written for the album, and all of it of a shorter nature. This could have been a double album with tracks like Richard, Abilene and Picasso.

                  Tormato has an eclectic mix of different styles and song types. This is a wackier Yes - songs about whales and ufo's and celestial circuses. On The Silent Wings Of Freedom is a classic bass-driven Yes powerhouse which begs to be reinstated into today's live set. It would work as an opener. Future Times/Rejoice is magical. Madrigal foreshadows the Jon/Rick power axis, a beautiful minstrel song with nice harpsichord and Spanish gtr from Steve. Release Release is cool, but maybe my least favorite track on here only by one molecule. Arriving UFO and Circus Of Heaven both often get some stick from fans, but they're ok by me. The most wonderful song here however is Onward.

                  The BAD:

                  Steve and Rick are playing all over each other. I never thought it sounded like that until I saw it being described that way in all these rock magazines and Yes bios whenever Tormato is mentioned. But sure enough, well it still sounds good but I see their point. The strength of so many styles and variety was also a flaw as well, as members were pulling in various directions. It made for a unique album, but one that wasn't always unified.
                  Production is slightly lesser, but better than GFTO imho.
                  Rick on Tormato - well not sure if its good or bad, just that Wakeman sounds like the Rick Wakeman of his solo albums rather than the Rick Wakeman of Yes if that makes sense. Almost see the logo reading Yes Featuring Rick Wakeman. This is a very Rick album, possibly the most Rick Yes album in the catalogue.

                  The UGLY:

                  Well, I guess that would be the tomato splattered cover - though I don't mind the band photo or the blue landscape. Maybe that should have been the cover if they couldn't use a Roger Dean one. The Yes logo there is very basic and meh. Surely a rejected Pink Floyd album cover could have been used instead.

                  I bought Tormato after I had all the other classic 70's Yes albums. In fact, Tormato wasn't really too available in 1985 - all the other albums had been easy to get, but the one album you would never see as a sealed copy at your local mall Sam Goodie or Waxie Maxie's was Tormato. Maybe it was temporarily out of print until it showed up on CD by the end of the decade, but you had to go to a record & tape traders type shop where you might find two or three copies in the bin. I didn't even know about it at first, but I was sure that 'Don't Kill The Whale' (which I had on Yesshows) was on some sort of Yes album. So Tormato was sort of like an extra album for me, I was overjoyed that there was one more classic album to get. Tormato really hits the spot when it's time to listen to it.

                  I like this rank series, though did we skip the Paris album? That would get a 3.8 on the Yesometer scale.
                  Last edited by Soundwaveseeker; 05-11-2022, 06:46 PM.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    3 stars. There are some good tracks on it; OTSWOF, Release Release, DKTW, Onward. Future Times/Rejoice has its moments, al though it fails to grab me all the way through. On the other hand Arriving UFO and Circus of Heaven are tracks that I have no desire to listen to ever again. I'm not a fan of the sounds Wakeman uses on this album and I also think some of the songs are overcrowded in places.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post

                      Phoned in delivery? Lazy? I must protest. You may or may not like the tunes, but there can be no denying that everyone in the band was completely involved and completely all over it. Resulting as some say in a cluttered cacophony, or as I say in a delightfully frantic, busy bee bunch of songs.
                      I think Jon (somewhat condescending) said that countering acusations of him being too dominating, he deliberately let loose the reigns and have everybody chipping in. If anything, the songs might need some more breathing room, but I like the album fine as it is, and think of it in no way as inferior to GFTO, for instance.

                      I’m giving it 4. But it’s more like 4.5.
                      IMHO, it can be bust and lazy at the same time. Playing faster notes than the other one isn't really the pinnacle of creativity. strictly IMHO.
                      But to me playing fast riffs countered by faster arpeggios isn't creative composition. It feels burned out, and the fact of physical involvement doesn't automatically bring spiritual involvement.
                      But this is about me, how it makes me feel listening to it.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by pjt View Post

                        IMHO, it can be bust and lazy at the same time. Playing faster notes than the other one isn't really the pinnacle of creativity. strictly IMHO.
                        But to me playing fast riffs countered by faster arpeggios isn't creative composition. It feels burned out, and the fact of physical involvement doesn't automatically bring spiritual involvement.
                        But this is about me, how it makes me feel listening to it.
                        Ok, I think I understand what you mean... And maybe compared to something like Soundchaser a song such as Future Times might sound less inspired. But to me, that’s the difference between a 10/10 and an 8/10.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          4

                          Comment


                            #14
                            It would be a 5 if it had Teakbois, but sadly it does not so only a 3 from me. A step down after GFTO.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X