Favourite song on TYA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite song on TYA

50 Years since this key album in Yes history was released. An album full of classics the first to feature Steve Howe and the last with Tony Kaye for a while- this was the make or break album really and allowed them to make their mark in the US, the most important development for them arguably in their career.

Question is which is your favourite song?

Yours is no Disgrace
    47.62%
    Clap
    0%
    Starship Trooper
    23.81%
    I've Seen all Good People
    4.76%
    A Venture
    4.76%
    Perpetual Change
    19.05%
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Perpetual Change became a favourite of mine very early on. I don't think I actually bought it till the new year of 1974. I had Close To The Edge and Fragile from the previous summer, and I got Tales for Xmas 1973.
    I vaguely remember buying Yessongs sometime in the first half of 1974 too, and being floored by the live version of Perpetual Change!
    I bought the Firebird that year on holiday in August, from a record shop in Margate.
    I had to wait till 1978 at Wembley to hear (some of) Perpetual Change!
    Yeah, still my favourite track on The Yes Album.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Best song on Yessongs due to Steve's extended solo. Great wide open feel on TYA.

ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
        Best song on Yessongs due to Steve's extended solo. Great wide open feel on TYA.

ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING
        Bill's drum solo is superb as well!

Comment

I will go with Perpetual Change today...
          "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

Comment

Everything on TYA is better on Yessongs, so I almost picked A Venture just because it's NOT on Yessongs!

Comment

Originally posted by profusion View Post
              Everything on TYA is better on Yessongs, so I almost picked A Venture just because it's NOT on Yessongs!
              I always thought it curious that back then. Steve played all the acoustic stuff on either an electric or his twin-neck, as in And You And I and Disillusion in Starship Trooper, but used the Portuguese guitar for Your Move. I'd assumed it was due to the problems of properly amplifying an acoustic guitar... ?
              I think I'm right that we didn't get an And You And I with an acoustic intro till ABWH.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

I always thought it curious that back then. Steve played all the acoustic stuff on either an electric or his twin-neck, as in And You And I and Disillusion in Starship Trooper, but used the Portuguese guitar for Your Move. I'd assumed it was due to the problems of properly amplifying an acoustic guitar... ?
                I think I'm right that we didn't get an And You And I with an acoustic intro till ABWH.
                It was also the difficulty of switching guitars back and forth mid-song, I believe. The "playing stand" that Steve used for acoustics in these songs by the '80s hadn't been invented yet in the early '70s. The Portuguese guitar on Your Move is smaller and never reappears once the electric kicks in, so that was probably easier to manage in concert.

Comment

YIND. Thee yes song that hooked me!!

Comment

Originally posted by John Vehadija View Post
                    I will go with Perpetual Change today...
                    Well, today that’s my pick.

Comment

A Venture’s quite underrated.

Comment

Würm. A lot of you already knew this. 😜

It’s even better live; Wembley ‘78 (the late show) comes to mind. So do Edmonton ‘84 and ABWH, Great Woods ‘89 (with Levin; this show beats San José by a mile), and a few others.
                        Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Comment

Yours is No Disgrace is in my top 5 of all-time favourite Yes songs!

Comment

If you didn't pick Starship Trooper, you're wrong. 😁

Comment

Tough choice but I voted for Starship Trooper because it is one of the best songs ever when performed live.

Comment

Working...
                              X