Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rabin105
    replied
    The whole album is just a breath of fresh air honestly the more I listen to it the more I love it

Leave a comment:

• soundchaser09
    replied
    love so many tracks on this album- am I the only one who really quite likes Mystery Tour as well? Steve Howe even sings well here! Has a great groove to it.

Leave a comment:

• Ceasar’s Palace
    replied
    Even if Jon Davison could put on a powerful lead vocal for a heavy song, then Yes probably still wouldn’t do it, beyond one or two ‘token’ rock songs, like The Ice Bridge.

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Thx. I’m not advocating for it by any means. I just don’t see it happening. JD sounds same to me even in those videos.

Leave a comment:

• downbyariver
    replied
    Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post
    I don’t think it’s in JDs wheelhouse. I could be wrong. Not extensively familiar with all his work outside
    of Yes other than a glass hammer disc i have, which I do need to play it’s been awhile(!)).

If someone can point me to a heavier JD please do!!!!!
    Here he is with the Foo Fighters covering Rush's "Tom Sawyer":

Keep in mind that's just recorded on someone's phone, and he and his backing band (The Foo Fighters) apparently only rehearsed it earlier the same day. So, there was no way it was going to be perfect, but I think it shows that he's probably capable of doing stuff that's harder than some of the music he's been tasked with singing on the Yes studio albums he's appeared on.

There have also been official live releases of Davison singing songs like "Machine Messiah" and "Tempus Fugit" that sound good, and I don't think fans who want future Yes albums to rock harder than the most recent ones are on the whole asking for anything heavier than the former song or more rock and roll than the latter song. Nobody is interested in prog metal Yes, just something that is as rock and roll as some of the rockingest songs in Yes' existing catalog.

JD has also done "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and "Rhythm of Love" on stage with Yes, albeit briefly. If I had to nitpick the versions of Owner he sang with Yes, it's that the idea of having three voices present and some of the sound effects from the 80s were not really there- which isn't his fault in either case.

That actually brings me to something else, which is that Yes could probably use a multi-instrumentalist as a younger sixth member (Ala Sherwood in the 90s) who could do some harmony vocals and guitar and other instruments here and there to fill out their live and studio sounds, and maybe he happens to have a bit more of a rock and roll style than some of the leads on the different instruments. One way to make up for a perception of lead vocals that can't carry a harder breed of rock song is to back then with several people or trade lines with someone considered more suited to that style of song (Though I am not saying Davison isn't suited to them).

Random bonus video of Jon Davison and John Lodge playing "Owner of a Lonely Heart" in 2019:

Yes (With Davison) performing "Rhythm of Love" in 2019:

Sadly, this didn't stick around on setlists for long (Maybe a week) and is absent from that tour's love album.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 02-10-2022, 08:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Finally able to vote. Neck and neck now IceBridgers!

F O R E V E R M O R E

Leave a comment:

• soundchaser09
    replied
    I dont expect a "rocking" Drama style Yes in the year 2022 and I am okay with that, The Quest delivers for me!

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post
    I’d love to hear a heavy, all out rock Yes track as much as anyone. But to my ears whenever they try it, it comes out awkward and not so strong. Therefore, I hope we will have more of the mellow stuff, because that’s what they care about and put more effort into these days.
    I don’t think it’s in JDs wheelhouse. I could be wrong. Not extensively familiar with all his work outside
    of Yes other than a glass hammer disc i have, which I do need to play it’s been awhile(!)).

If someone can point me to a heavier JD please do!!!!! I’ll check out my glass hammer again too

i think I mentioned in passing in the last site maybe, whenTQ came out, that I also like JD in the lower register. Or Prob a discussion about JA v JD ......

and agree - no need to force it, play what they are in to

Leave a comment:

• Ceasar’s Palace
    replied
    I’d love to hear a heavy, all out rock Yes track as much as anyone. But to my ears whenever they try it, it comes out awkward and not so strong. Therefore, I hope we will have more of the mellow stuff, because that’s what they care about and put more effort into these days.

Leave a comment:

• ragtime
    replied
    Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post

That’s what I said. But you said it better.
    Thanks. Great minds ... etc.

Leave a comment:

• Ceasar’s Palace
    replied
    Originally posted by ragtime View Post
    Future Memories: a strong and memorable acoustic song . I prefer Jon Davison in this natural register. I like that plaintive slide tone from Steve and there are some nice vocal harmonies and subtle bass touches.
    That’s what I said. But you said it better.

Leave a comment:

• Davy
    replied
    Poor Music to My Ears. It took a while, but that song, A Living Island, and Future Memories have really grown on me. I'm the vote for Minus the Man, but it really depends on the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Re: the poll.

Don't get too comfortable IceBridgers. Can't seem to vote using button. But will soon I hope. And then the LivingIslanders will triumph. Glory I espy!

Leave a comment:

• ragtime
    replied
    Future Memories: a strong and memorable acoustic song . I prefer Jon Davison in this natural register. I like that plaintive slide tone from Steve and there are some nice vocal harmonies and subtle bass touches.
    Last edited by ragtime; 02-08-2022, 01:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Grey Wolf
    replied
    Oh, easily The Ice Bridge for me. It's the only one that rocks, everything else is so laid back. Don't mind some laid back, but there have to me more rockin' tunes too, please.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X