The Quest two months on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Quest two months on

Hello everyone, I absolutely love this album, its strong and consistently so throughout, with some great musical choices and some (Howe's vocals) not so great. But overall I'm really enjoying most songs on this album- its a return to form and I never expected them to make a studio album after Chris's passing so it is extremely welcome to me. Finally Jon Davison gets a chance to be on a Yes album I consider to be great. But what do the people of new yesfans think? Give the album a score out of ten!

6.98%
    4.65%
    18.60%
    23.26%
    16.28%
    4.65%
    9.30%
    6.98%
    2.33%
    6.98%
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Meant to give it an 8 and pressed the wrong button, but I agree with what you said and I'm not sorry I gave it a 10
    "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

Comment

Originally posted by John Vehadija View Post
      Meant to give it an 8 and pressed the wrong button, but I agree with what you said and I'm not sorry I gave it a 10
      I was surprised by the 10 given how low the Quest is on your list
      The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
      -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
      -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Not gonna be crazy when Relayer is out in the world, but still dig the variety of songs, ALI still inspires, MTM has that lovely Local Hero like start, the magnificent slab of prime, marbled prog TIB, the Grammy worthy FM, imagine Sting singing that one, TWE groove and drive, the languorous beauty of DTK, the mad koto on LAW, the Roger cover. Still solid collection of modernist prog. ie 8 outta 10

ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING

Comment

As I have stated elsewhere I was not really impressed with my first listen. I felt kind of meh. However, as I listened more closely to the details the richness started to show itself to me. Now I love the album and am so glad that YES released it. I hope they don't wait too long to get another one out there for us to enjoy and one without any time restrictions by the record company. If I have a complaint it would be that I wish the keyboards were featured more. There are not really any moments to let Downes shine. I gave the album an 8.

Comment

Heh, Anon who voted 1outta 10. Wanna explain. We don't bite

Comment

I gave it 2.5/5 on the album rankings a few days ago. So that’s 5/10.
              “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Gave it a 4. It's a Yes-light-version at best. Don't wanna go much into it, did that in the old forum. Anyway, it sounds too superficial at too many places, a symbol for that is the very beginning: I never would have imagined that a Yesalbum would be started with such an unsinspired fanfare like on the The Ice Bridge. We all know the great Yes-intros that belong to the legacy.

In my yesworld it is high time for changes, building up a new band around Howe and Billy as Trevor Rabin pimping Yes may remain a dream.

And to say something good about The Quest: the lyrics are quite okay.

Edit: A lineup-change of the current lineup might be a dream as well
                Last edited by PeterCologne; 11-29-2021, 05:40 AM.

Comment

A generous 4 for me.
                  It's ok, and I'm glad they did it, but it's not really my thing, either as Yes or as music. A bit too light for me. Some nice playing from Steve but it doesn't swing or sway, and tonally it's a bit samey, and tempo-wise a bit one-paced.
                  Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                  Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

I gave it an 8 as well. I think it is a very well crafted album, and the guitar work and vocals are superb throughout. I would love one or two songs with more of a rock edge, but understand that is not where they are at this stage. It is a fine effort by a mature outfit that knows who they are, and what they want to do.

Comment

7 for me. Agree with Roundabob above, it's very well crafted, and one I think the band will look back upon unapologetically later, maybe a little like Fly From Here. If nothing rocks out quite like Into the Storm, I prefer The Quest for its emphasis on new material, which, one or two clunky choruses and lyrics aside, I think the band chemistry is strong, as they complement each other rather than play over each other, and if it's restrained, it allows room for the details to come through, which are interesting details. Now, to get them all in the studio together…

Comment

7. If comparing to 70s yes, it would be lower; comparing more generally to other music currently around, it may well be higher. I gave The Quest a lot of chances because it was Yes, and I wanted to like it. Eventually that paid off, as I noticed more and more that intrigued me throughout the album. (Initially I had thought I might download just a few tracks, but after listening extensively on youtube first, in the end I purchased the whole album. Not all tracks made it onto my Yes playlist - my often-preferred music while out walking - but they all found a home on a playlist somewhere.)

Comment

I gave it a 4. Happy they did it and I'm glad many of you like/love it. It's just not that interesting to me. Sounds more like Asia than Yes to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Frothingslosh View Post
                            I gave it a 4. Happy they did it and I'm glad many of you like/love it. It's just not that interesting to me. Sounds more like Asia than Yes to me.
                            Makes me curious what you think about H&E...

Comment

H&E is the low water mark for Yes for me. Again, there are many that enjoy that album as well, just can't get into it. Songs feel rushed and unfinished for the most part.

Comment

Working...
                              X