No announcement yet.

Recording started?! Paul k Joyce is doing orchestrations again on the new album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recording started?! Paul k Joyce is doing orchestrations again on the new album

According to henry

As of Apr 2022, recording was reported to be well advanced, with Paul K Joyce working on orchestrations, as he did on The Quest.

impossible to tell anything into this but thanks for the info. I hope an album does materalise but I am satisfied with the Quest as a last effort if that happens.
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

I note last time that Joyce's orchestrations only came after the album was pretty much otherwise finished, so if Joyce is doing orchestrations now, they might basically have the album otherwise done. On the other hand, using an orchestra was an afterthought on The Quest. Perhaps this time the orchestrations are more integrated and integral and Joyce was involved earlier on...?

Comment

Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post
        impossible to tell anything into this but thanks for the info. I hope an album does materalise but I am satisfied with the Quest as a last effort if that happens.
        Unless an asteroid hits and wipes the band out, another album is coming. This is not an ARW situation! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

Unless an asteroid hits and wipes the band out, another album is coming. This is not an ARW situation! ;-)
          But but Jon said in prog magazine that arw’s album was 5 hours long and will be out Christmas 2017

ah arw a source of humor among yes fans both intentionally and unintentionally

Comment

On a serious note I wonder if a song about Taylor Hawkins might make it on to the album

davison is at his best when writing about things emotional about the top three songs are about things he is passionate about (the ice bridge, future memories and a living island)

Comment

If Henry says it’s credible, it’s good enough for me.
              But amazing it is. It would be like old times...
              I think we all can agree, whether you like current Yes or not,
              the more music, the more chance of something good.

O, and about Taylor Hawkins, this could be. You have a point there.
              But I would challenge Jon not to use the word mirror this time.
              Last edited by Ceasar’s Palace; 04-22-2022, 03:48 AM.

Comment

I note last time that Joyce's orchestrations only came after the album was pretty much otherwise finished, so if Joyce is doing orchestrations now, they might basically have the album otherwise done. On the other hand, using an orchestra was an afterthought on The Quest. Perhaps this time the orchestrations are more integrated and integral and Joyce was involved earlier on...?
                Hope you are right Henry, I don't know how you get your info but you've always had a great interest in the goings on of the band, thanks for the updates.
                The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

With a new album on the way so soon after the release of The Quest, I'm enclined to think they had far more than an album's worth of material developed and have now developed and are further developing the songs that either weren't ready for or didn't fit the overall picture for The Quest.

One thing that strikes me about The Quest is how it truly is an album and not merely a collection of songs. It stands as a whole.

So that makes me think, and yes this is pure speculation, that the new album might again be different in musical content , form and atmosphere than The Quest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post
                    With a new album on the way so soon after the release of The Quest, I'm enclined to think they had far more than an album's worth of material developed and have now developed and are further developing the songs that either weren't ready for or didn't fit the overall picture for The Quest.

One thing that strikes me about The Quest is how it truly is an album and not merely a collection of songs. It stands as a whole.

So that makes me think, and yes this is pure speculation, that the new album might again be different in musical content , form and atmosphere than The Quest.
                    every yes album is different even when done by the same lineup Going for the One and Tormato were done a year apart same lineup vastly different albums...

I was talking with Henry and few others as yesfans we have gotten at least one new song if not a full album from yes each year since 2018 I would say we are spoiled indeed

Return trip 2018
                    From a page 2019
                    Imagine live 2020
                    Arc of life january 2021
                    the quest fall 2021

and now it looks to be another new album my guess this fall

Yes has been spoiling us after 2 years of nothing (15-17)

and now downbyariver will say how wrong I am in 5 4 3 2...

Comment

Originally posted by rabin105 View Post
                      Return trip 2018
                      From a page 2019
                      Imagine live 2020
                      Arc of life january 2021
                      the quest fall 2021
                      Please do not taint this list of recent Yes music with the horrors of Arc of Life!!! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

It's a continuing source of fascination to me that with this band in particular people hear very different things in the same music. I like some of the Quest and I think it's a definite improvement on H&E, but I think the former, while it's not the most cohesive album in the world, sounds more so to me than its successor. Which I'm afraid sounds like a collection of work from the different factions of the band with other hands in it. There are pieces that are very much Howe songs and then others that seem to have that feel of being Sherwood songs or Davison songs. I suppose The Ice Bridge seems to me the most collaborative effort that sounds like it's a work by all the band [building and extending from the Monkman theme]. It isn't my favourite song on the album for all that.

So for me personally that seems like the only Yes [2021] song in a really integrated sense. Perhaps that's to some degree because it [the album, that is] was largely put together remotely, at least at times and for major segments.

I'm hoping because the new album is probably more of a collaboration in terms of physical presence there will be something that sounds like an identity that is more of a collective, an emergent gestalt identity.

There again all these reactions seem to be very much coloured by our own particular history with the band and how that shapes our expectations. We all listen out for particular things that engage us and because of the diversity of the history [or perhaps the opposite to some degree for those whose appreciation was shaped by the classic era] those can be different to a degree that's unusual in this thing we can rock and roll.

I of course respect the truth of what you say for you - my view is just as subjective.
                        Last edited by Chris2210; 04-22-2022, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post
                          It's a continuing source of fascination to me that with this band in particular people hear very different things in the same music. I like some of the Quest and I think it's a definite improvement on H&E, but I think the former, while it's not the most cohesive album in the world, sounds more so to me than its successor. Which I'm afraid sounds like a collection of work from the different factions of the band with other hands in it. There are pieces that are very much Howe songs and then others that seem to have that feel of being Sherwood songs or Davison songs. I suppose The Ice Bridge seems to me the most collaborative effort that sounds like it's a work by all the band [building and extending from the Monkman theme]. It isn't my favourite song on the album for all that.

So for me personally that seems like the only Yes [2021] song in a really integrated sense. Perhaps that's to some degree because it [the album, that is] was largely put together remotely, at least at times and for major segments.

I'm hoping because the new album is probably more of a collaboration in terms of physical presence there will be something that sounds like an identity that is more of a collective, an emergent gestalt identity.
                          There isn't necessarily a contradiction. An album can flow and be shaped like an album while its parts still come from different places. Fragile flows well for me, even though it deliberately has these solo pieces.

I agree that TQ feels to some degree like the music comes from distinct factions, something true of many Yes albums. It will be interesting whether this new album can be more integrated, bringing together some of that energy from the Sherwood songs with the thematic exploration of the Howe pieces and the multi-part approach from Downes. However, I wonder how much the band have been able to work together physically. I haven't heard of Sherwood/White being over in the UK or Howe/Downes being over in the US, although Davison has been back and forth.

Of course, we know very little about this new album. They've done more than we realised, but are they just doing final tweaks, or will they be using their time touring together to do more work on arrangements...??? Who knows?

Comment

There isn't necessarily a contradiction. An album can flow and be shaped like an album while its parts still come from different places. Fragile flows well for me, even though it deliberately has these solo pieces.

I agree that TQ feels to some degree like the music comes from distinct factions, something true of many Yes albums. It will be interesting whether this new album can be more integrated, bringing together some of that energy from the Sherwood songs with the thematic exploration of the Howe pieces and the multi-part approach from Downes. However, I wonder how much the band have been able to work together physically. I haven't heard of Sherwood/White being over in the UK or Howe/Downes being over in the US, although Davison has been back and forth.

Of course, we know very little about this new album. They've done more than we realised, but are they just doing final tweaks, or will they be using their time touring together to do more work on arrangements...??? Who knows?
                            The Shadow knows....

( I had to)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post

There again all these reactions seem to be very much coloured by our own particular history with the band and how that shapes our expectations. We all listen out for particular things that engage us and because of the diversity of the history [or perhaps the opposite to some degree for those whose appreciation was shaped by the classic era] those can be different to a degree that's unusual in this thing we can rock and roll.

I of course respect the truth of what you say for you - my view is just as subjective.
                              Thanks for your reaction. Yes, I agree it is fascinating that we fans here different things. I respect your opinion and I certainly here what you say. I do hear some of those differences. But as Henry puts it, to me there is a flow to the album that makes the songs belong together. Also for me there is a sense of rest or perhaps better tranquility in ambiance in all the songs, that connect the songs as a whole.

With that being said, I certainly wouldn't mind if the new album is a bit more lively and upbeat in ambiance.
                              Last edited by Mr. Holland; 04-22-2022, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X