X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khatrooper
    replied
    Originally posted by True View Post
    I wonder why I often notice people refer to the song New Language as “ New Languages “ - in the plural.
    Probably because the plural is used several times in the song’s lyrics.

Leave a comment:

• bondegezou
    replied
    Difficult choice, both great, but I went with "NL".

Leave a comment:

• True
    replied
    I wonder why I often notice people refer to the song New Language as “ New Languages “ - in the plural.

For me, New Language was an early example of a recording which contained some great moments juxtaposed with some unpleasant sections, so on the whole, it wasn’t a memorable tune.
    but I have similar thoughts about Homeworld. Once it got going it had some cohesiveness, but it sort of limped along for the first half of the tune.

Leave a comment:

• Oldie on the Goldie
    replied
    Love the album but never liked NL which sounds goofy to me except for the instrumental jam. Love Homeworld.

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    At one time it would have been Homeworld, but the last few years I've been more into New Language. It's ovelooked. I like the almost pop Jon verses and the jazzy Howe towards the end. And I always thought the opening intro had a lot in common with the opening intro to Endless Dream, especially Alan's drums.

Leave a comment:

• Dantalion Rides Again
    replied
    Homeworld for me. New Language is probably my least favorite Ladder track, just not into it. Clunky verses. Plus I always feel like the title should be plural. Homeworld is pretty great, I wasn't all that impressed at first but it's got it's place and has some real great moments.

All in all I love this album though, naysayers are high. Or not enough, dunno which.

Leave a comment:

• Frumious B
    replied
    I love both of them. I voted for “Homeworld” because it doesn’t have that “Doogie Howser” sounding keyboard bit that “ New Languages” does have.

Leave a comment:

• JMKUSA
    replied
    New Languages gets my vote but I like them both a lot. But on NL, I love the “talk to me” and “speak to me” vocal part.

Leave a comment:

• Davy
    replied
    Homeworld for me, and it's one of the few songs where I like the single edit better than the album version. Speaking of Homeworld, I think Billy channeled a bit of that song into Minus the Man, but with better results this time around (IMO.)

Leave a comment:

• alex peters
    replied
    New Languages for me. Like both but New Languages is just a cut above for me. Homeworld had the potential to be an epic Yes piece but it needed an bit more of something. Maybe Wakeman?

Leave a comment:

• Yorkshire Square
    replied
    The Ladder is a great latter day album. It's bloody hard to start ranking individual tracks against each other. Anyway I did, but it was likely closer than 55-45! 😀

Leave a comment:

• pjt
    replied
    The results now show 55-45 for Homeworld, and it kind of represents how I feel
    I really like both, but Homeworld just adds something more to the epic feeling that puts it to the front to me.

Leave a comment:

• PeterCologne
    replied
    Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
    HW has one of Jon's greatest vocal deliveries. Raspy, strained then ultimately transcendant. "Ascend. Ascending to the future" is one of my fave Yes moments. For the chills. The band are on fire

Earthy. Fiery. Watery. Airy.

ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING
    ok, ok - that's what I call passion

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    HW has one of Jon's greatest vocal deliveries. Raspy, strained then ultimately transcendant. "Ascend. Ascending to the future" is one of my fave Yes moments. For the chills. The band are on fire

Earthy. Fiery. Watery. Airy.

ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING

Leave a comment:

• soundchaser09
    replied
    Originally posted by PeterCologne View Post
    I like The Ladder, it is Yes most kaleidoscopic album. But I always had problems with Homeworld, it is one of the few Yestracks in which I miss the tension between heavenly beauty and a certain earthiness. It's only beautiful, which is not enough for a Yestune :-) And well, a little cheesy it is...

gotta disagree here

Leave a comment:

Working...
X