41.67%
    25.00%
    4.17%
    8.33%
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Great album. Love every song on it to various degrees, with the exception of Where Will You Be, which I find so so. The Calling on the other hand I would place in my top 10 of favourite Yes songs.

It's no. 5 in my ranking of Yes albums. 5 stars are reserved for the top 4 😉

Comment

Some of Yeswest's finest moments hide in those recordings. At the time of release I was enthralled with it - became part of my Yes DNA. I suppose with time I now view it as a transition project. I love to listen to the songs, but as an album it just doesn't hang together for me the way it originally did. Based on the strength of the songs themselves I give it a solid 4. Oh, and I might have a more favorable opinion if the sound and production were A LOT warmer. Damn thing sounds like it's trying to bust out of an oil drum to my ears. I've yearned for a remix for years, but considering what the source material would be lifted from I doubt anyone would want to tear it all apart and start over.

Comment

Talk is just too loud and in your face Yes. Its very cold, but Endless dream has its moments where Jon, for one, shines. I dont know many Yes fans I know talk about it much, let alone listen to it.

Comment

Same year as Floyd's Division Bell and Marillion's Brave, I was very into this album at the time. Solid, solid 4 or 4.10. It was a bit bold and didn't hang too much on past adventures, yet still was Yes. One of those Yes albums where you say "This is Yes?!", but in a good way. A vibrant and fun album. Perfect for a hot summer of '94.

GOOD:

Bold production, though some say it's 'cold' or too harsh/digital.
          ​​​​​​A different kind of prog rock - more atmosphere/cinematic rather than focused on virtuoso performance, though the playing is great.
          Lengthy material again, after years of 7 minutes and under. Endless Dream has the same magic as Awaken, just updated for the computer age. I remember I Am Waiting seemed to be liked a lot by female listeners I played it to. Real Love has a tense atmosphere, cinematic
          and driving, Where Will You Be is dreamy. This album is Rabin's finest album - Yes, solo or otherwise.

BAD:

Tony Kaye only does some hammond organ, he's almost just a guest star on the album.
          The album cover is a little weak, though I don't mind the Peter Max logo. It looked good on a hat.
          Dialogue would have been a better title than 'Talk', which is bland. Or Maybe Endless Dream.
          Walls could have been a hit had Talk been released in 1990. The album was up against the grunge era. It lost.
          Rick Wakeman was supposed to still have been a member of Yes in 1992 or 3, and was supposed to be on the album, but it didn't work out that way. He was gone, I assume, before they got started on Talk. You wonder, if...

The UGLY:

The album didn't sell as expected, killing the 90125 lineup for good. I wonder what the rest of the 90's would have been like with that lineup. A shame - just as that lineup was musically going upward, sales and popularity were going downward. Fast forward to now, ARW may have had he ingredients to deliver something that built on the musicality of Talk, but they failed to deliver. Talk is a one a kind Yes album.

Endless Dream is one of my favorite Yes epics. The Calling, I Am Waiting, well, all of it really - there's only 7 songs! But mainly Endless Dream - the Awaken of the 90's.
          Last edited by Soundwaveseeker; 05-07-2022, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yesjim View Post
            Some of Yeswest's finest moments hide in those recordings. At the time of release I was enthralled with it - became part of my Yes DNA. I suppose with time I now view it as a transition project. I love to listen to the songs, but as an album it just doesn't hang together for me the way it originally did. Based on the strength of the songs themselves I give it a solid 4. Oh, and I might have a more favorable opinion if the sound and production were A LOT warmer. Damn thing sounds like it's trying to bust out of an oil drum to my ears. I've yearned for a remix for years, but considering what the source material would be lifted from I doubt anyone would want to tear it all apart and start over.
            How about the Talk songs live?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIK3bgEe6yw

Comment

I f-ing love this album.

Comment

Jon's vocal on this album are superb. I think after Going for the One, Talk is Jon's best Yes album lead vocals wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Talk tour, most of the album was played live. Only State Of Play wasn't performed. Endless Dream was great live and was used as the main set closer, in the spot where you usually had Awaken. The first tour too that featured Billy Sherwood, he was an extra utility musician, provided extra gtr and instruments and backing vocals.

Comment

The album sounds better to me now than at the time. Endless Dream is a great song. I give it a 3 but a generous 3.

The tour was a bust. I saw the show. The band had no energy.. The show I saw there was about 1500 people that attended.

Comment

3 and that’s quite generous. It’s ambitious, but doesn’t deliver the goods. IAW for example. Fine main theme, but it goes on and on and on.
                      Endless Dream: is the chorus really worth it? No. There are nice moments, the free solos on The Calling. The frantic opening of Endless Dream. Will You Be There’s celtic Rabin.
                      And even the Supertrampyes song. It just needs trimming. A lot of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
                        Talk is a one a kind Yes album.
                        Every YesWest album is a singular circumstance and therefore a singular work.

I certainly do love this album so much!
                        Rabin-esque
                        my labor of love (and obsessive research)
                        rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

I gave it a 4. Where will you be ranks up there with the best they have done in my opinion, Add that along with Real Love and I am waiting and the Endless Dream epic and that's pretty solid. I can do without The Calling, Walls and State of Play though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Ah, good question. I attended six Talk tour shows and despite the small crowds they were all fantastic shows. The Talk tracks all sounded better live in my opinion. Loved Tony's contributions, he got to stretch out a bit and put his touch on the new songs. All the shows I saw were at the end of the tour and they had ironed out all the kinks from the early ones. Endless Dream live, whoa! Those performances were top tier Yes to my ears.

Comment

Originally posted by pianozach View Post
                              I f-ing love this album.

Now there’s some real love for Talk.
                              Prompted me to give a listen, it’s been awhile. I remember enjoying it first time, I was late to the album, and pretty much everything I liked about it is the same. The Calling rocks, WWYB is intriguing, and I liked the visiralness of Real love and State of Play. Walls is my favorite from the album and Endless Dream has some of the best musical Yes moments, imo. But it seems very imbalanced with the heavy Rabin input, doesn’t work for me. Same problem with album overall. I gave it a low rating even though it’s not quite the worst Yes album for me

Comment

Working...
                              X