Tales remastered from the 1987 release.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tales remastered from the 1987 release.

THE REVEALING SCIENCE OF GOD dance of the dawn (00:00) THE REMEMBERING high the memory (20:18) THE ANCIENT giants under the sun (40:42) RITUAL nous sommes du soleil (58:58) Using the following as the media source : Label: ATLANTIC – 2 908-2 Format: 2 × CD Country: USA Released: 1987 This is a remastering of 1973’s TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS by Yes. I do own the 96hz/24bit flat masters of the album, but I felt the 1987 release on CD was closer to the Vinyl LP version, and also toned down Rick Wakeman and Steve Howe, and some of the very high frequencies they occasionally hit. It’s also in keeping with my trying to find the earliest known version of an album’s release on CD. Fortunately, I already had this 2 CD issue in my collection. It’s not that it’s expensive now, just a little hard to find. “IN MY OPINION” SECTION : This is the best recording of Yes until they hit the DRAMA / 90125 era of their career. And my personal belief is that this is one of the three best sounding albums they ever issued (TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS / 90125 / TALK), but I’m a fan of anything recorded at Morgan Studios, located in Willesden, London. Particularly when it comes to percussion. This studio had a great drum sound (see Jethro Tull / Black Sabbath), which tended to be a bit more bassy, and definitely more orchestral. It also housed England’s first 24 track machine, though Chris Squire said it didn’t work half the time. It was recorded by Guy Bidmead, who did a lot of work with Split Enz, Bob Marley & The Wailers, and various former members of Deep Purple. A truly outstanding engineer. There are a few sections where Wakeman and Howe hit notes that border on “shrill.” I’ve tried to tame these down a bit, without sacrificing where treble truly needs to go, vocals, cymbals, etc. Considering I’m working from a CD, and not actual master tapes, doing this can be difficult. So I apologise if there are any moments that bring discomfort. But then again, one must ask, how am I bringing this out, but subduing that, working from a “fixed” media. I’ve never particularly been a fan of the Yes line-up that consists of Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman & Alan White. I don’t know why. Regardless, I’m there for the work of Chris Squire & Alan White who truly shine on this album. And Chris Squire is simply the best bassist that came out of British Rock. His only rival was John Entwistle, and even he didn’t contribute to pieces that lasted 15 minutes or more. And though Geddy Lee (of RUSH) is a favourite, he just doesn’t come close to what Chris Squire does, sometimes in three minutes or less. (Listen to The Ancient). My favourite song has always been RITUAL, but as the years have passed, and working on it for a good 6 months or so, my appreciation for this album has grown. It’s a far ways a way from “Yours Is No Disgrace” and that was only three years prior to this. Topographic is a major piece of work, and any musician will hear the amount of detail put into the four pieces that comprise it. I have segued the four songs so they are seamless going into one another, and … it works. It almost sounds at times like it’s supposed to be that way. So if you have an hour or so spare one day, sit back and listen. PRODUCED BY EDDIE OFFORD & YES Recorded by Guy Bidmead at Morgan Studio, Willesden, London during late summer and early autumn 1973. Coordinator – Brian Lane Art & Design – Roger Dean JON ANDERSON ~ Lead Vocals & Percussion STEVE HOWE ~ Guitars & Vocals CHRIS SQUIRE ~ Bass Guitar & Vocals RICK WAKEMAN ~ Keyboards ALAN WHITE ~ Drums & Percussion Lyrics by Anderson & Howe Music written & arranged by Yes Remastered May 2016.​
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Technical question: were the late-1980s Atlantic CD releases (the long-boxers) remasters, or did they use the same masters as they had been using for cassettes, vinyl, etc.?

Either was, as a non-audiophile, I thought those CDs were great (especially Drama, which was released as part of the same campaign, but a few years later). In the case of Tales, I didn’t sense too much improvement in the 1990s Gastwirt remasters or the 2000s Rhino releases, but now I only listen to the Wilson remix, for reasons I really can’t articulate. But yeah, those first Atlantic CDs were pretty good.

edit: here’s the discogs page with release details: https://www.discogs.com/master/35036...graphic-Oceans
    Last edited by patrickq; 12-16-2022, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X