The Ancient (Giants Under the Sun) reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ancient (Giants Under the Sun) reaction

This evening's installment of the Daily Doug with Doug Helvering listens to The Ancient.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

should be an interesting watch, I'll give it a look later!
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Haven't watched the video yet. The Ancient is my favorite side of TFTO. To me, it sounds the most adventurous and experimental, and the Group really captured the feel of wandering through an ancient Mayan jungle.

Comment

Originally posted by BillGuitar View Post
        Haven't watched the video yet. The Ancient is my favorite side of TFTO. To me, it sounds the most adventurous and experimental, and the Group really captured the feel of wandering through an ancient Mayan jungle.
        Toatally. Fully agree. Love it the adventurous nature of pushing the envelope into the unknown. It's like some crazy beautiful alien language. Must of had some really good stuff around that time.... Actually from 71-75!

Comment

Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post

Must of had some really good stuff around that time.... Actually from 71-75!
          Yup, analog tape, tube amps, an actual desire to push the envelope, no pro tools……..that’s what you’re talking about, right Erik?

Comment

Originally posted by Enlighten View Post

Yup, analog tape, tube amps, an actual desire to push the envelope, no pro tools……..that’s what you’re talking about, right Erik?
            Yes, among other things ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	160
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	28880

Comment

When you take the time to listen through, you realize it's not just a lot of random sound and noise, but a composition that you probably have heard excepts from before, regardless of how ancient those may be, or have been from early man to present.

Comment

Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post

Yes, among other things ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	160
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	28880
                What’s Harvey Milk doing with a bong?

Comment

Way back in '73, when I first heard the album, The Ancient was probably my least favorite of the four tracks on the album. That's NOT to say I didn't like it; I did like it, even though my major criticism was that Steve Howe had discovered the most annoying guitar sound ever.

It's only grown on me since then, and I'm quite fond of the track nowadays.

Comment

that was fun, I enjoyed hearing the Ancient again, you know Tales really is special in its own majestic way. Not my absolute favourite, but it is a beautiful experiment.
                    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

This track’s really grown on me recently, to the point where I now consider it the best track on Tales.

Comment

I like this guy, particularly when he goes further than just announcing the key...

Comment

Probably the best track on this seriously flawed album (sometimes it's Ritual).

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp On Attack View Post
                            I like this guy, particularly when he goes further than just announcing the key...
                            Think he gave up tryin' to identify keys or time signatures. Heehehehee. I quite enjoyed listenin' along. Some cool musical passages. Experimental. surely.
                            Heaps of mellotron. The acoustic guitar comes as a relief from some dissonant electric guitar. Jon sings total esoteric lyrics. Cool. Would they ever do it LIVE?
                            Dunno. What do people who have heard '73 boots think of it performed LIVE?

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

Think he gave up tryin' to identify keys or time signatures. Heehehehee. I quite enjoyed listenin' along. Some cool musical passages. Experimental. surely.
                              Heaps of mellotron. The acoustic guitar comes as a relief from some dissonant electric guitar. Jon sings total esoteric lyrics. Cool. Would they ever do it LIVE?
                              Dunno. What do people who have heard '73 boots think of it performed LIVE?
                              Bloody Brilliant. Listen to the March 18th and 19th 1974 versions. Wowza!

Comment

Working...
                              X