X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rabin105
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post

Don’t be silly. No one’s going to believe you’ve read a book.
    well to be honest His book was a pop up book with lots of fun animations

Leave a comment:

• Chris2210
    replied
    Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

I am learning from you I have read your book and I hope its coming through in my posts
    Don’t be silly. No one’s going to believe you’ve read a book.

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

The answers to such questions, and indeed the questions themselves, lie solely in the ears of the beholders. Asserting that they possess some form of 'universal truth' on this basis is nonsensical, so you've clearly come to the right place.

I am learning from you I have read your book and I hope its coming through in my posts

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by rabin105 View Post

ABWH hurt us all I know
    The answers to such questions, and indeed the questions themselves, lie solely in the ears of the beholders. Asserting that they possess some form of 'universal truth' on this basis is nonsensical, so you've clearly come to the right place.

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post
    It’s not the worst Yes album ever. Which is sad.
    ABWH hurt us all I know

Leave a comment:

• Chris2210
    replied
    It’s not the worst Yes album ever. Which is sad.

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied
    god I love this album... its genuinely one of my favorites and the more I come back to it the more I realize how magical it is.. God I wish they would dust oof the album and play something from it live

Leave a comment:

• Kevin W
    replied
    Yes I think it's underrated. I didn't like it at the time mostly because of the disappointment of the break up of the reformed 2nd classic line up but I have come to appreciate it on its own merits over the years. Billy and Chris dominate it but that's actually one of its appealing features - I find it interesting to hear how the different members of the band influence the music on each album. It's one of the positive things about the latter half of the band's history. The way I see it, you might as well embrace the fact that they haven't managed to maintain a stable line up for more than one studio album in a row since 90125/Big Generator. And while this undoubtedly is frustrating, at least it means that every album is inevitably different from its predecessor.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Holland
    replied
    Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post
    I know Open Your Eyes is often derided by fans and critics alike (sometimes called Close Your Ears), but is it unfairly so?

This project was of course the product of a Conspiracy album, written by Billy Sherwood and Chris Squire, becoming a Yes album without a lot of input from other guys in the band after Wakeman had left for the millionth time after he felt Keys to Ascension was mishandled being split into two albums. I think as it is, its a great experiment in trying to keep Yes relevant in the 90s, not as successfully as Talk mind you from an artistic and commercial standpoint.

It suffered from being released too close to Keys to Ascension 2 in my opinion and the continual dwindling of the fanbase at the time, but at least they tried to be somewhat radio friendly here. The problem with the album for me is that many tracks are forgettable (as well as a lack of keyboards). But I still enjoy the first half a fair bit. A New State of Mind, Open Your Eyes, Universal Garden are all fantastic pieces, and then I also enjoy No Way We Can Lose and Fortune Seller- Man in the Moon is a guilty pleasure of mine, such a groovy track!

Its the second half where the album becomes stale to me- Wonderlove is awful, From the Balcony is inoffensive but bland, Love Shine is too cheesy, Somehow Someday is forgettable- only The Solution holds up as a solid track from the last part. Overall I'd give this album a 6/10, it certainly isn't as bad as people make out- and I appreciate it for helping the band to continue as a platform for touring even if they didn't do much from it live, it did allow Billy to make a significant contribution in finally becoming a member, much deserved after his continual involvement behind the scenes. I do enjoy this one from time to time, what do you guys think of it?
    Billy has spoken out very much against this narrative:

According to Sherwood, the band was falling apart and he began the writing sessions in order to kickstart activity, before new management was involved. He, initially with Squire, and then with Squire, White and Anderson, wrote the core of the album. However, Howe was disinterested in the sessions and would not join them, so the band approached Trevor Rabin about re-joining. Rabin said no, but Howe belatedly agreed to take part. Sherwood said to ProgressiveEars.com in Jan 2009:

It was not pressure from anyone that made YES decide to make OYE... fact is it was made before there was management in play or a label for that matter. Yes had basicaly broken up and the reforming of a new YES came via OYE. [...]

Myself Chris, Alan and {at the time a very enthusiastic} Jon Anderson we're the creative "TEAM" behind it. True a few of the ideas came from some Squire/Sherwood material but the majority was freshly written and molded by the four of us . Fortune Seller, The Solution, Universal Garden, New State Of Mind for example we're never Conspiracy out takes, they we're concieved and produced so to speak by the four of us. Steve came at the end of the entire process of creation, not by our choice, but by his.

In fact only the title track and Man on the Moon were taken from what was planned as Chris Squire's second solo album under the name Chemistry, but which was eventually released as Conspiracy.
    Last edited by Mr. Holland; 02-11-2022, 04:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Holland
    replied
    I think there's a good EP burried in this album. New State of Mind, Open Your Eyes, Universal Garden, Fortune Seller and Man on the Moon are good to great songs and deserve farbetter company than the rest of the rubbish the rest of this album is (No, From the Balcony isn\t a great Jon/Steve duet, it's a standard by the numbers acoustic thingy that hundreds of other artists could have made). So, all in all, I don't think the album as a whole is underrated. It really comes last in the Yes cannon as far as I'm concerned.

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    Didn't they release OYE in a special surround sound mix version around that time as well, 1998? I'd like to hear that version to compare it to the original. I mostly listen to it in the car when I do listen to it, it's an ok sound system. Haven't heard it in a house in years, maybe it IS more shrill than I remember it. It's a good 'road' Yes album. Talk had some good production as well, but Keys sounded a step down to me in terms of production. Not bad production or sound, just not as 'glossy' - like they were going for a more retro sound. Yes sound was up and down throughout the 90's.

Leave a comment:

• altaeria
    replied
    Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
    Open Your Eyes has some of the best production and glossiest sound quality of any Yes album before or since - crisp and clear sound, great vocal harmonies.
    Wow... You lost me with your first sentence.
    There are many good songs on this album -- but they are completely dragged down by the painfully shrill Sherwood mix and production.

You must have a magical stereo system... and, quite frankly, I am jealous.
    I would love to hear this album with a completely different non-Sherwood-style mix.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    It might have been preferable, and perhaps more accurate, if it had been released as a Squire/Sherwood-attributed album, with additional 'guests' participating. The CD sits quietly on my shelf, largely undisturbed. It's presence there is.... inconsequential. Were it not an album attributed to Yes, it's probable I would not have bought it.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    UG is definitely one of my favourite songs by anyone. Cosmic without being doctrinal. Melodic. Soaring.

STARLIGHT FLOWERING

Leave a comment:

• Chris2210
    replied
    I like bits of Universal Garden. So I may be in danger of overrating it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X