X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somis Sound
    replied
    Originally posted by pianozach View Post

You know that "harshness" that everyone says they hear on TALK? I don't hear THAT, but I sure as heck heard it on OPEN YOUR EYES. Still do.

When it was first released, it sounded to me as though that although Rabin was no longer with the outfit, they wanted desperately to have a YesWest-sounding followup, so the album sounded derivative to me, an imitation.

It's a little harsh due to the recording system, preamps, and Billy's rig. Certainly not as slamming, digital, and an A grade production like Talk... But it does sound like a sub par 80's Yes attempt production wise. Some of he effects even sound sort of B grade. But, songs like New State of Mind, OYE, and Fortune Seller I really do enjoy and sound pretty good. I just remember being so stoked there was a lot of Yes action at the time and new music. I give it a 3.

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    Originally posted by pianozach View Post
    You know that "harshness" that everyone says they hear on TALK? I don't hear THAT, but I sure as heck heard it on OPEN YOUR EYES. Still do.

When it was first released, it sounded to me as though that although Rabin was no longer with the outfit, they wanted desperately to have a YesWest-sounding followup, so the album sounded derivative to me, an imitation.
    I mean, yeah. It's more obvious on some songs than others.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    It's just naff. Not worth bothering with.

Leave a comment:

• pjt
    replied
    I don't know. Really don't know. I like it more than its own merits. I like the Sherwood tunes, the Chris Squire Experiment tunes, the newly composed tunes, and I just hate Music From the Balcony and Wonderlove, and I just tolerate No Way We Can Lose. So mixed bag, but it gets a 4 because I like what I like, and of course just to spite all the hysteria it got on a.m.y.

Leave a comment:

• alex peters
    replied
    A 2 from me and a generous 2 at that

Leave a comment:

• Ceasar’s Palace
    replied
    2 stars. We all seem to know what the good and the bad tracks are. I’ll say this in its defence: the band is playing all the songs, the good, the bad and the ugly with equal conviction. Thankfully The Ladder would build on the strenghts of this album and not the weak points.

Leave a comment:

• Ant45
    replied
    I can’t say that I like a single track on it. I can happily listen to every other Yes album from start to finish. Some are better than others, the spectrum ranging from CTTE down to H&E but there are none on which I have to skip tracks. Open Your Eyes is the opposite - I try and give it another chance from time to time, the last time listening to the tracks in random order but I really can’t abide it. I gave it a 1 on the grounds that a 0 was not available as a score.

Leave a comment:

• Oldie on the Goldie
    replied
    Fortune Seller is the only song I really enjoy from this one, although Universal Garden and From the Balcony are OK. As someone said earlier, there is a harshness to the sound on this album that puts me off.

Leave a comment:

• Dantalion Rides Again
    replied
    I gave it three, I have always championed this album. I kind of wanna give it 4 but am trying to temper my enthusiasm for it with some reality. It's got some less than great songs (I'm thinking Love Shine & Man In The Moon, mainly) ... I pretty much like the rest just fine, maybe some Jon lines that I wince at here and there. I forgive most of that because I'm used to suffering wincing to mine the gems from Jon's lyrics. Maybe they're not Jon's, doesn't matter. I dig the overall sound of the album, and its vibe. The Ladder came out and I remember a friend of mine being so relieved that it was a step in the right direction from OYE, but for my money I think I like the OYE album just as much.
    ⭐⭐⭐

Leave a comment:

• rabin105
    replied
    i gave it a 5 sorry this was 100% one of my favorite albums growing uop and even still I listen to it and go wow great riff's great harmonies great everything honestly!

Leave a comment:

• Frumious B
    replied
    I voted for 2, but I actually give it a 2.5.

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    What hasn't been said about OYE? I have more of an ear for it now, but I agree that it starts out ok, but by the second half it kinda fizzles out. Here's the good the bad & the ugly:

GOOD:

Production - glossy, bold and energetic. Jumps right atcha.
    Harmonies are top Yes harmonies, on par with ANY Yes harmonies from ANY era.

I find these tracks to be Yes enough for me: title track, Universal Garden, The Solution, Wonderlove (I know I'm in minority with Wonderlove), maybe Fortune Seller

BAD:

They had half an album of strong material, but were up against the deadline - the other half of the album is slapped together and the cracks smoothed over with some sort of sonic wood putty.

The cover is just a logo, it's ok but a full Dean better.

I find these tracks weaker: Somehow Someday, Love Shine, From The Balcony
    The other tracks, No Way We Can Lose, New State of Mind and The Source are either ok or tolerable. It's Yes, so there's nothing there that I actually hate, but I acknowledge that OYE isn't the finest Yes moment.

THE UGLY:

Some may find Man In The Moon to be ridiculous. I don't have as much revulsion to it than a lot of Yes fans do, but that repeatin' riff does crawl into your brain and infects it with alien spores. Try getting that tune out of your head once you've heard it. It's on a permanent loop, and may cause damage to the cranial cavity.

I give it a 3. It's Yes, so there's value in it. But it's a flawed ride. I pull it out when in the mood for it, but I have to be in the mood for it.

Leave a comment:

• pianozach
    replied
    I had to give it a "2".

When it first came out, I would have given it a "1", but I appreciate it much more now than I did then.

Nowadays my opinion has softened a bit; I still hear that, but it just doesn't bother me. All those stacked vocals are actually pretty nifty, and there's some very nice bass playing. I don't really miss not having a large Howe presence.

Leave a comment:

• soundchaser09
    replied
    Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

3 great songs to open then train falls off the track.
    thats one way of putting it i enjoy the title track, universal garden, fortune seller, man in the moon and the solution the other stuff not so much but a 3 from me as well.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied

3 great songs to open then train falls off the track.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X