Open Your Eyes- Rating out of 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pianozach View Post
    You know that "harshness" that everyone says they hear on TALK? I don't hear THAT, but I sure as heck heard it on OPEN YOUR EYES. Still do.

When it was first released, it sounded to me as though that although Rabin was no longer with the outfit, they wanted desperately to have a YesWest-sounding followup, so the album sounded derivative to me, an imitation.
    I mean, yeah. It's more obvious on some songs than others.
    Rabin-esque
    my labor of love (and obsessive research)
    rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by pianozach View Post

You know that "harshness" that everyone says they hear on TALK? I don't hear THAT, but I sure as heck heard it on OPEN YOUR EYES. Still do.

When it was first released, it sounded to me as though that although Rabin was no longer with the outfit, they wanted desperately to have a YesWest-sounding followup, so the album sounded derivative to me, an imitation.

It's a little harsh due to the recording system, preamps, and Billy's rig. Certainly not as slamming, digital, and an A grade production like Talk... But it does sound like a sub par 80's Yes attempt production wise. Some of he effects even sound sort of B grade. But, songs like New State of Mind, OYE, and Fortune Seller I really do enjoy and sound pretty good. I just remember being so stoked there was a lot of Yes action at the time and new music. I give it a 3.

Comment

Working...
      X