Benoit and Oliver shine here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benoit and Oliver shine here

So glad this EP got released, absolutely wonderful work by the band and in particular by the then new guys. Though I'm glad we got FFH as a huge fan of that album and am glad Geoff Downes came back- this EP does prove that Benoit and Oliver had the ability to support a solid album. Still Davison and Downes are preferable for me in Yes currently. I love to the Moment and Words on a Page in particular.
    Last edited by soundchaser09; 11-22-2021, 02:25 AM.
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Me too, I love To The Moment, it's really great, there might also be a future track from those sessions with Oliver And Alan jamming
    "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

Comment

I would much rather have had Fly From Here with Oliver and Benoit, and an EP with Downes and Davison, and still have Oliver on board now. As Oliver's father once said, Yes had always had strong musicians in it, and Oliver is a much better one than Downes.
      Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
      Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

I love Geoff but Oliverdefinitly shined on From a Page

Comment

I love these tracks, so glad that they were released. Kudos to Oliver for making that happen. 👏
          Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
          My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

Nice bit of trivia.

in Roger's trading Boundaries exhibition he states that FAP's cover is actually from a detail of his updated CTTE cover. Intriguing!

(In CTTE, the island in centre of lake with a temple.)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 12-30-2021, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
              Nice bit of trivia.

in Roger's trading Boundaries exhibition he states that FAP's cover is actually from a detail of his updated CTTE cover. Intriguing!

(In CTTE, the island in centre of lake with a temple.)
              Very very Cool.

Comment

I've mentioned this before, but I love the Benoit era of the band. Got to see him live and he was really good as was the rest of the band. Much like the Drama lineup, I wish they would have been able to get a second album done.

Comment

This is great YES music. Trevor Horn was probably involved in removing Oliver and Benoit and therefore the good music on Fly From Here that he wrote was not worth it. This is not meant as a criticism of Trevor or Jon Davison. It is a simple statement that the best future for YES lay with Benoit and Oliver.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinbeard View Post
                    This is great YES music. Trevor Horn was probably involved in removing Oliver and Benoit and therefore the good music on Fly From Here that he wrote was not worth it. This is not meant as a criticism of Trevor or Jon Davison. It is a simple statement that the best future for YES lay with Benoit and Oliver.
                    Completely agree on best future quote. I think if they backed off the constant touring and gave Benoît's voice and body a rest his health issues may not have been so severe. While Benoit was in bands previously they never toured to extent of a Yes. Oliver was politics as well I suspect, shame really. No disrespect to Jon Davison, just wish they would have continued in the From a Page direction

Comment

Originally posted by Old Frothingslosh View Post

Completely agree on best future quote. I think if they backed off the constant touring and gave Benoît's voice and body a rest his health issues may not have been so severe. While Benoit was in bands previously they never toured to extent of a Yes. Oliver was politics as well I suspect, shame really. No disrespect to Jon Davison, just wish they would have continued in the From a Page direction
                      I have to respectfully disagree, Jon Davison is a far more well rounded writer and performer on stage who can handle Anderson material night in night out- Benoit did often struggle but I appreciate his contributions to Yes alot, I became a fan during his tenure and I will never forget his importance in keeping the band rolling. I was one of the first to be very happy when JD was announced as a big glasshammer fan at the time though.
                      The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                      -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                      -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post

I have to respectfully disagree, Jon Davison is a far more well rounded writer and performer on stage who can handle Anderson material night in night out- Benoit did often struggle but I appreciate his contributions to Yes alot, I became a fan during his tenure and I will never forget his importance in keeping the band rolling. I was one of the first to be very happy when JD was announced as a big glasshammer fan at the time though.
                        I understand your view and I'm happy you enjoy the current line up, just not for me. Oddly enough I did enjoy Jon's work with Glasshammer

Comment

Like a lot of people, I too really enjoyed the Benoit and Oliver show, and am very happy the From a Page songs released. I've always preferred the "new" songs on FFH to the FFH suite itself, and had these songs replaced those and "Life on a Film Set", for me, would have been a stronger album. So yeah, how that might have turned out differently, with the Howe/Squire/White/David/Wakeman team, is a great lost dream. I like Benoit's voice more than JD's most of the time, too, esp. on the older, Anderson material, and I became more interested in checking out Mystery than Glass Hammer. But, and this is a big one, I realize Benoit wasn't a writer, and what Yes needs is a writer to provide some focus and direction, whether that's Anderson or Rabin as primary lyricist. Howe and Squire are/were "ok-ish" in the lyrics department, but not prolific enough to create an album's worth of songs. Maybe Oliver would have stepped in, in a Neil Peart-y fashion, writing the words for Benoit to sing. But without him, in this respect, Davison is the best choice. I may not entirely *like* the lyrics, but he's doing the job that needs doing.

Comment

Is it weird that I enjoy the fact that there's a lively ongoing Benoit vs Jon Davison debate? I'm not really partial to either guy so maybe that's how I manage to enjoy it.

Comment

I just listened to the four tracks for the first time; not quite sure why I was so late to the party. The CD is pretty much unavailable, at least at a price I'll pay. However, I'll definitely get these tracks as downloads from the iTunes store.

I suppose we could all debate Benoit vs Jon, but what it comes down to is a riff on what Howe said about the lineup that works. You may like Benoit better or you may like JD better, but JD is the one who is able to sing this stuff night after night. Trying to do that was wrecking Benoit.

Comment

Working...
                              X