Rating out of 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rating out of 5

How does this orchestral symphony sound to you?
    22.22%
    38.89%
    38.89%
    0%
    0%
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Is it that the Cage piece? I don't think he described it as a symphony. At the moment it sounds like the soft clack of my keyboard.
    Last edited by Chris2210; 05-03-2022, 09:48 AM.

Comment

4/5: a late career highlight, for sure. What Keys to Ascension tried too hard to recapture.

Comment

3 stars. The best songs are really great (Magnification, Spirit of Survival, Give Love Each Day, Dreamtime, IN THE PRESENCEOF), Can You Imagine is likeable, but the other stuff is real filler for me.
        Last edited by Mr. Holland; 05-04-2022, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Remember feelin' proud of the album when it came out. Brilliant. Cinematic. Mag was amazin' Live. With Wakeman

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post
            3 stars. The best songs are really great (Magnification, Spirit of Survival, Give Love Each Day, Dreamtime), Can You Imagine is likeable, but the other stuff is real filler for me.
            You think ITPO is “real filler”? I think it’s in the top rank of all Yes music. It does seem to have steadily grown in reputation the last 20 years and many now acknowledge it as a classic. Todmobile’s performance of it on YouTube here…

…is magnificent.

For me personally only Soft as a Dove and Can You Imagine are dispensable- and I’ve come around to those and wouldn’t skip them.

I initially came across this thread customarily through ‘today’s posts’.

Magnification is one of my favourite albums. But it’s not an orchestral symphony by any stretch of the imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post

You think ITPO is “real filler”? I think it’s in the top rank of all Yes music. It does seem to have steadily grown in reputation the last 20 years and many now acknowledge it as a classic. Todmobile’s performance of it on YouTube here…

…is magnificent.

For me personally only Soft as a Dove and Can You Imagine are dispensable- and I’ve come around to those and wouldn’t skip them.

I initially came across this thread customarily through ‘today’s posts’.

Magnification is one of my favourite albums. But it’s not an orchestral symphony by any stretch of the imagination.
              Whoop!!! Nonono....my mistake!! In the Presence Of is the best song on the album!!

I've edited my post.

Comment

Phew!

Comment

3 stars. The best songs are really great (Magnification, Spirit of Survival, Give Love Each Day, Dreamtime, IN THE PRESENCEOF), Can You Imagine is likeable, but the other stuff is real filler for me.
                  I don't want to be arsey Arno, but you've just rated an album you identify around 42' of 'great' music on as 3/5. How much great material does an album need to score more than mediocre? Are you sure you like this band?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post

I don't want to be arsey Arno, but you've just rated an album you identify around 42' of 'great' music on as 3/5. How much great material does an album need to score more than mediocre? Are you sure you like this band?
                    😂😂Well Magnification comes at 11 when I rank the Yes albums. 4 and 5 stars are reserved for my top 10. Basically I am being arsey😉

Comment

Whoop!!! Nonono....my mistake!! In the Presence Of is the best song on the album!!

I've edited my post.
                      [puts away the machete] Okay, never mind...

Comment

But to be frank, I don't like this album. I love parts of it, the title track, Can You Imagine, Don't Go, Dreamtime and ItPO, but I just can't get through the rest. And I really dislike the vocals on Dove.
                        As for the rest, it just rubs me the wrong way, and I really can't tell them apart. Maybe Give Love Each Day because it's schmalzier than the others.

(Edit, I had to check some song titles, I mixed them up)
                        Last edited by pjt; 05-04-2022, 08:19 AM.

Comment

I’m in a generous mood, so 4. But 3.5 would be more accurate.

Comment

It has some nice moments on it. I would still love for them to re-mix this record with no orchestra, and put some Hammond on it.

Comment

Originally posted by True View Post
                              It has some nice moments on it. I would still love for them to re-mix this record with no orchestra, and put some Hammond on it.
                              I really want this if i won the lottery i would pay for Brislin to come in and add fresh keyboards to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X