GFTO remix: there is still hope!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GFTO remix: there is still hope!

I just realized that even if they never find the original mastertapes, a remix is possible. There is now the option of isolating instruments from any mono tape, thanks to the software developed by Peter Jackson’s team. The one used to make the recent Beatles Revolver remix. Now for the time being the Beatles have an exclusive on this. But over time it will be available for other bands and artists, so…?

Sounds intriguing, but I think a lot of Yes fans would not accept it as the real deal if it wasn’t from the actual original masters. Just a hunch!

Comment

Hey, if it’s good enough for the Beatles…

Comment

In theory, individual YouTubers (or others) could offer competing mixes. Programs already exist to mix individual tracks based on common mixing styles. These procedures, apparently used in country radio mixing, optimize for the technical aspects which until recently required highly trained engineers. I read that there’s one guy who does nearly all Nashville radio mixes. So re: Going for the One, the basic mix could be automated, then adjusted artistically by someone talented.

Comment

Demixing technology to give separated isolated instrumentation (or largely isolated anyway) is coming along leaps and bounds with AI.

Once you can get a decent degree of separation there's all sorts you can do with/to the separate tracks. And more options available all the time.

Comment

I read a couple of articles about the Peter Jackson project where they discussed the use of certain programs to isolate quiet voices of the Beatles in conversation, in the studio, which were previously inaudible due to the sound of instruments being played during the conversations. The technology now exists where the program can identify every sound and separate the sounds from each other - then you can mix those sounds in the manner you would like. It is not less authentic than if you had the masters, it's just a different way to isolate those same sounds.

It is only a matter of time until any of us can mix, say... the crowd out of the drum solo during Release Release, for example, if we so choose.

Comment

That would be amazing if possible... I do wonder, though, how well the AI could deal with the much "thicker" instrumentation of GFTO compared to Revolver? I've been using an app called Moises that takes a similar approach to creating "stems" from any audio file. It does a great job separating vocals/drums/guitar/bass, but not so good at separating keyboard layers... at least today!

Comment

Originally posted by brianos View Post
                That would be amazing if possible... I do wonder, though, how well the AI could deal with the much "thicker" instrumentation of GFTO compared to Revolver? I've been using an app called Moises that takes a similar approach to creating "stems" from any audio file. It does a great job separating vocals/drums/guitar/bass, but not so good at separating keyboard layers... at least today!
                That makes me wonder as well. Especially for some of the parts that have more reverb applied on already busy passages. Parallels for instance could be troublesome. Awaken as well.

Comment

Originally posted by brianos View Post
                  It'll improve, but even if it doesn't, it may be enough.

Strip off everything but the keys and you can still process the keyboards as all one track - not ideal but you're still able to improve that track somewhat and it's only one portion of the overall mix.

Fixing the drums, bass, guitar and vocals and remixing them with the partially fixed keyboards should still give a worthwhile result.

Comment

If we’re gonna use this technology on a Yes recording then let’s start with QPR.
                    “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by Frumious B View Post
                      If we’re gonna use this technology on a Yes recording then let’s start with QPR.
                      If someone could clean that up and give it an official release, wow!

Comment

I'd much rather have a cleaned up GFTO.

Comment

Why not...er, both ?

Comment

Last edited by auxfnx; 01-04-2023, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by auxfnx View Post
                              Okay, I'm working on a fan-remix of this now! Will put it up on my YesEdits channel when done unless I get copyright stricken, in which case I'll put it up elsewhere!
                              Keep us posted!

Comment

Working...
                              X