Going for the One- Rating out of 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post

I think Yesshows is interesting and it makes the bass and drums more prominent even than on Relayer - which reveals how important the rhythm section is in anchoring the chaos of GoD. But GftO is the subtlest of all Yes albums and many of its greatest moments rely on an incredible precision and a certain amount of restraint. That's absent in most live renditions and incredibly tricky to pull off. I don't think any of them quite get there on Yesshows which make it something of a disappointment for me on those tracks.

It always surprises me a little bit still that many want somewhat hard-rocking from this band. I think as a heavy rock outfit they were very lacking [although I don't think that's what they were aiming for anyway, so it's no loss so far as I'm concerned]. I was also a fan of Black Sabbath in the 70s and to a lesser degree Led Zeppelin. Who were both while significantly better at visceral rock, not capable of the same sort of dazzling virtuosity and sheer depth of expression of Yes at their height.
    I may be oversimplifying, but I feel heavy rock in general is often guilty of lazy songwriting. “We have a killer attitude and sound, so three chords will do.”
    No they won’t. Have the killer sound and attitude after you’ve written a good song. Yes was often good at that. Though of course there’s much much more to our favorite band.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post

I may be oversimplifying, but I feel heavy rock in general is often guilty of lazy songwriting. “We have a killer attitude and sound, so three chords will do.”
      No they won’t. Have the killer sound and attitude after you’ve written a good song. Yes was often good at that. Though of course there’s much much more to our favorite band.
      It's perhaps reflective of my own personal tastes, but my two favourite Sabbath tracks are Spiral Architect and Air Dance - both very atypical of their output - but subtle and beautiful in their own ways. I saw them [Sabbath] at the last big reunion gig in Hyde Park a few years back and their set consisted almost exclusively of the grinding heavy metal of vol 4 and earlier. It's what they've become celebrated for I suppose, but it's the crudest stereotype of what they were as a band. I also thought their studio album '13' was disappointing for many of the same reasons.

But boil Yes down to heavy rock and you distill them to a very pale and insipid essence.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post

But boil Yes down to heavy rock and you distill them to a very pale and insipid essence.
        That would be The Ice Bridge for example. Just because it’s the only rocking song on The Quest, doesn’t mean it’s any good.

Comment

That would be The Ice Bridge for example. Just because it’s the only rocking song on The Quest, doesn’t mean it’s any good.
          I think it's OK, but I prefer Dare to Know and Leave Well Alone by a fair margin. Just about everything else I think is decent but pretty uninspiring. But to be brutally honest I don't think Yes exists any more in essence. Even if the two great song writers reunited I think the alchemy is gone, as is the inimitable Chris Squire.

I don't think Yes are or ever were a formula, but they were a unique mix of ingredients and inevitably what is left of those is diminshed. That's not to say we can't enjoy what's left or other mixtures, it's just unrealistic now to expect such a heady concoction. I think it's actually a little disrespectful of the very special talents that made up the band in their heyday to imagine you can simply substitute.

I still support the present band, but in my heart of hearts I'm a no-Jon, no-Steve, no-Chris, no-Yes guy.

Literalism be damned.

Comment

Not for me, not keen on overall sound. Listened many times to try to like it!!
            Pretty average album for me .

Comment

I loved this at the time, and it was the first tour i saw them live. But I have come to loathe Awaken, though I like the rest of the album. It's nowhere near Relayer or Topographic Oceans though.

Comment

Put Awaken on any Yes album, even Heaven and Earth, and it’s an instant 5/5. So yeah, GFTO is a 5 for me, thought I’m not crazy about the title track and the album could’ve benefited greatly from a remix. Oh, the lost masters! How can the universe be so cruel, LOL?

Comment

I gave it a 4- mainly for the same reasons as a few others have noted- Im not a fan of the title track-its one that skip when I play the album. The other tracks are amongst Yes' most memorable- and my personal favorites- I think it does need some re-mixing and remastering - much of Wakeman's keys are too low in the mix for me- the piano in ToC and the church organ in Parallels and Awaken not withstanding. I do recall listening to the album with cans many many years ago and being surprised to hear moog in ToC and Awaken-! The mellotron could also be given a tweek or two!

Comment

I’m not going to post a screenshot. But it’s on his buttocks, also on his shoulder and then some on the left beside him.
                    Little rings that you can see through. I call that bubbles. And now I vow to never raise the subject again.
                    I'm Team Bubbles. Seen 'em. They live!!!

Comment

I’ve got an old copy on vinyl and can confirm the bubbles exist… I’ve never been a fan of the cover art because it doesn’t feel like Yes to me. Nothing against the guy’s rear end, it’s honestly the sterile, modern buildings that don’t make sense. Especially with a song like “Awaken,” it could really use a Dean cover.

The songs are all great and I don’t mind the production, through I completely understand why it bothers some people. I would be interested to hear an updated mix of the master tapes are ever found.

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin View Post
                        Put Awaken on any Yes album, even Heaven and Earth, and it’s an instant 5/5. So yeah, GFTO is a 5 for me, thought I’m not crazy about the title track and the album could’ve benefited greatly from a remix. Oh, the lost masters! How can the universe be so cruel, LOL?
                        Somebody call Steve Wilson for this one, i would love to hear more depth in Turn Of The Century and Awaken, the hidden gems...

Comment

Originally posted by Soundchaser View Post

Somebody call Steve Wilson for this one, i would love to hear more depth in Turn Of The Century and Awaken, the hidden gems...
                          I bet Wilson would love to get his hands on the album, but it won’t happen because the master tapes are missing.
                          But if he did Parallels would be the first one to clean up, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by madbear View Post
                            I loved this at the time, and it was the first tour i saw them live. But I have come to loathe Awaken, though I like the rest of the album. It's nowhere near Relayer or Topographic Oceans though.
                            I would never have thought the day would come that I read "Awaken" and "loathe" in one sentence 😉

Comment

I bet Wilson would love to get his hands on the album, but it won’t happen because the master tapes are missing.
                              But if he did Parallels would be the first one to clean up, IMO.
                              I prefer the Yesshows version to the studio version.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

I would never have thought the day would come that I read "Awaken" and "loathe" in one sentence 😉
                                Sorry, it's just overblown Anderson excess for me. But I don't mind anyone else liking it; i just don't want to hear it ever again.

Comment

Working...
                                X