Going for the One- Rating out of 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

Oh yes! Just had a closer look at the naked guy on the cover, a really close look, and there are indeed what appear to be bubbles. How creative those Hipgnosis chaps were! I'll never be able to stop seeing them now....
    And you know they never photoshopped anything. 😜

Comment

the cover is just kind of what brings it down for me that being said its a good album.. I wish Rabin had done Parallels as much like Drama I think His style would of fit the piece but sadly yes only played that songs without Jon after the 77 tour

Hearing tony kaye do it on the chris squire tribute a few years back was really awesome to be honest.

the album as it stands is good but sadly I can hear the division between Anderson/wakeman and the rest of the band on this album.

Comment

Two things stop him from perfect 5, the overall sound and Turn Of The Century being slightly underwhelming (don't bother, I know).

Comment

My all time favourite! I love it from beinning to end, the loud rocking title track, the emotional uplifting Turn of the Century, the driving Parallels, the lyrical Wonderous Stories and my favourite epic, Awaken.
          There are albums with songs I like more, than some on this album, but there's not a album I like more.

Comment

I just don’t get all this loathing for the production. The work as a whole is very middle to high range, but there is bass there. It’s subtle, it’s subdued, but I also think it’s deliberate. And sublime.

Apart from perhaps the title track and parallels, the rhythm ’section’ is hardly used at all in the standard way of rock n roll keeping the beat - and even in those there are some very interesting things going on with rhythm- more typical of classical as opposed to rock music.

The airy sound space suits that and I think it’s something (understandably) missing from the live performances which struggle to reproduce that sort of finessed nuance.

My only caveat with the whole album is that slow section in Awaken. I think it makes perfect sense from a structural point of view, I just don’t think the noodling of Wakeman and the strumming of Anderson match the musicianship of the rest. It’s supposed to be meditative and still, but for all its relative brevity it just seems to meander without much to recommend it. The transition is magnificent. For all that I see that as a slight flaw I still think Awaken is the most brilliant and cohesive of all the long tracks and again what it does with rhythm is jaw-dropping.

I’m not going to score, but I would say this album along with a few others in the catalogue are among the finest achievements in the entire history of art-rock. Comparing them with pop… if that’s your taste fair enough, but I’m not in that book, let alone the same page.

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
              My all time favourite! I love it from beinning to end, the loud rocking title track, the emotional uplifting Turn of the Century, the driving Parallels, the lyrical Wonderous Stories and my favourite epic, Awaken.
              There are albums with songs I like more, than some on this album, but there's not a album I like more.
              I feel exactly the same - it is my favourite album of all time. Also, the '77 GFTO tour was the first time that I saw the band , which may influence my feelings, but I consider it to be a masterpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp On Attack View Post
                Two things stop him from perfect 5, the overall sound and Turn Of The Century being slightly underwhelming (don't bother, I know).
                That's my favourite song.

Ever.

Comment

Mine too.

Comment

A 5 from me. Going for the One is the only weak link in this great album IMO

Comment

I'd give it a 10 if I could.

Not all the songs work for me (Title Track Shrillness...Forgiven, but...ouch)
                      However, Awaken is my all-time favorite track, EVER,
                      by anyone.

This is the song that will be played at my passing.

Comment

The GftO "shrillness".

The thing is supposed to sound chaotic, dizzying. It's a white-water ride. Until you get to the end and then there's that literal harmonic convergence on "Talk about sending love". That's dazzling and sublime, but it relies for its effect on what has gone before. I thin it's a truly brilliant moment and it gives context to what the overall structure of the song, That sounds a bit dry and intellectual, but it's such an emotionally and spiritually satisfying resolution I can enjoy the thing entire, not just for the sake of the closing. But similarly there is a "payoff" the end of Parallels that elevates the whole thing from what [I at least initially saw] as a bombastic rocker.
                        Last edited by Chris2210; 05-17-2022, 05:46 AM.

Comment

3. A HUGE drop off from Relayer. Too much reverb and not too keen on the whole sound/mix of the record. They seem to be beginning to lose their fire and unity here musically. I do absolutely love Turn of the Century, one of my very favorite Yes songs! And Wondrous Stories is a nice tune. Love Awaken live, but the album version puts me to sleep. (ducks and covers!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post
                            Again, not without shortcomings, but giving it only 4 stars seems wrong. So 5 it is.
                            Again, not without shortcomings, but giving it only 4 stars seems wrong. So 3 it is.

I'm always taken back to the first time I heard the whole album: I found the end of the title track annoying; Howe's slide guitar was irritating - funny though - I thought it was a mini-Moog.

I did love Parallels, but over the years I found Wakeman's use of pipe organ simply pandering, only used for its bombastic effect, and Howe just seems to be trying to prove that he can noodle around a harmonic riff better than anyone else, but falls short.

And I actually dozed off during Awaken. As it seems to be on practically everyone's Top 5 Yes Epics list, my stance on the track has improved.

Turn of the Century seemed like the old "No, we're REAL musicians!" routine. I don't know why it rubbed me the wrong way so much.

Oddly enough, my favorite track is Wondrous Stories.

Last edited by pianozach; 05-18-2022, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I had Yesshows before GFTO. And that’s a blessing in disguise. On the up side, I loved those three songs in the punchy live versions right away.
                              On the downside, hearing them in the studio versions was a bit disappointing, except WS.
                              Eventually I made a remix of Parallels which is mostly the Yesshows version, but with parts of the studio version dropped in.
                              ( Ideally I would want guitar, bass and drums from the live version and vocals and keyboards from the studio version.)
                              It was tricky, because of the different tempos, but I slowed the live version down a bit and sped the studio one up, so they could meet halfway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post
                                I had Yesshows before GFTO. And that’s a blessing in disguise. On the up side, I loved those three songs in the punchy live versions right away.
                                On the downside, hearing them in the studio versions was a bit disappointing, except WS.
                                Eventually I made a remix of Parallels which is mostly the Yesshows version, but with parts of the studio version dropped in.
                                ( Ideally I would want guitar, bass and drums from the live version and vocals and keyboards from the studio version.)
                                It was tricky, because of the different tempos, but I slowed the live version down a bit and sped the studio one up, so they could meet halfway.
                                I think Yesshows is interesting and it makes the bass and drums more prominent even than on Relayer - which reveals how important the rhythm section is in anchoring the chaos of GoD. But GftO is the subtlest of all Yes albums and many of its greatest moments rely on an incredible precision and a certain amount of restraint. That's absent in most live renditions and incredibly tricky to pull off. I don't think any of them quite get there on Yesshows which make it something of a disappointment for me on those tracks.

It always surprises me a little bit still that many want somewhat hard-rocking from this band. I think as a heavy rock outfit they were very lacking [although I don't think that's what they were aiming for anyway, so it's no loss so far as I'm concerned]. I was also a fan of Black Sabbath in the 70s and to a lesser degree Led Zeppelin. Who were both while significantly better at visceral rock, not capable of the same sort of dazzling virtuosity and sheer depth of expression of Yes at their height.

Comment

Working...
                                X