Roundabout vs Heart of the Sunrise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roundabout vs Heart of the Sunrise

I have a feeling which one people will go for, but I think these are both unbelievable pieces of music. Which do you prefer?
    Roundabout
    37.50%
    Heart of the Sunrise
    62.50%
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Voted for HOTS. Tough decision but what tipped it was loving seeing Chris begin the song bathed in red light at my only concert. Mesmerizing.

ELECTRIFY EVERYWHERE

Comment

They are both super amazing! Heart of the Sunrise always takes me to a special place so it got my vote.

Comment

Heart of the Sunrise by a country mile.

Comment

I like them both for different reasons.

Comment

"Roundabout" for me. I know long-time Yes sometimes get a little sick of it because of how many times they've heard it, the type of disproportionate attention it gets relative to a lot of other Yes songs on the radio, and it's status as a perennial concert encore song (The album series where they did Fragile during the main set list aside). However, good is good.

I think "Roundabout" combines a lot of the things that made some of Yes' shorter more digestible (By Yes standards) rock songs so memorable with some of the factors that made their epics so memorable, creating a very memorable song in it's own right that blends with both categories (At least until the sound of new music changed a bit in the 80s). In a way, it's kind of a bridge from The Yes Album to Close to the Edge, musically speaking, at least casually to me as a non-expert.

"Heart of the Sunrise" has a good extended bass part early on, and a few neat lyrics, but overall, I have to be honest, it's kind of long for what it is and not something I get the same type of joy with the same consistency as when I listen to as I do with some other Yes songs. I actually wound rank not only "Roundabout" as a better song from from the album they're both on, Fragile, but also "Long Distance Runaround" and "South Side of the Sky" (Though I think where SSotS really shines is in live performances like In the Present and, to a lesser extent, Like It Is, which is a rare statement for me. I usually go with the studio versions of things.).
            "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

I can't choose one over the other. I don't have to so I won't. Both marvelous pieces of music in every way.
              Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
              Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

I can’t choose. Depends on the day. So I can’t vote on this on. Have to abstain. Like last post. Glad I don’t have to. Hahaha.

Comment

Same here. How could I possibly decide between them?! 😀

Comment

They are both great songs, but the edge goes to HotS for me!

Comment

Originally posted by YESOLA View Post
                      I like them both for different reasons.
                      The Enoesque option!

I prefer Roundabout, but it wins by a small margin. I love HOTS, but..... dare I say it...... it’s a bit repetetive at around 2/3 ds of the song. You know, where you have Rick’s piano alternating with the band. Could do with one less round of that...

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post

The Enoesque option!

I prefer Roundabout, but it wins by a small margin. I love HOTS, but..... dare I say it...... it’s a bit repetetive at around 2/3 ds of the song. You know, where you have Rick’s piano alternating with the band. Could do with one less round of that...
                        Well yes, I posted right after him, in which I was shocked with his definitive answer ...

In any case I think both tracks get close to the apex of the Yes vision , (which to me is fully realized on the next Album).

Interesting point about HOTS , but I think the track is great because you get all of the Yes fiddle-faddle in half an epic's time. Roundabout has the band vocals so I will go with Roundabout being more representative of the total expression of what the vision was. HOTS has just a bit more flash , but Yesmen chops are represented in Roundabout. HOTS has all that Squire Bass counter to Anderson sort of thing. ....hmm nope I think i cant choose, both for different reasons.

Comment

Working...
                        X