Kim Carnes covers Yes classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kim Carnes covers Yes classic

With added sax solo, power guitar and at least 2 different vocoder treatments. Ever wondered what the song Into the Lens would sound like with a proper singer, husky and soulful?

Wonder what the story behind this is? Horn doesn't mention it in his memoir.

Seems was produced by Bill Cuomo. Recorded in 1985 but not released. Came out as a bonus track in
    2001 on Barking at Airplanes album.

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg-319.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	30573
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 11-06-2022, 12:15 PM.

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
    With added sax solo, power guitar and at least 2 different vocoder treatments. Ever wondered what the song Into the Lens would sound like with a proper singer, husky and soulful?

Wonder what the story behind this is? Horn doesn't mention it in his memoir.

Seems was produced by Bill Cuomo. Recorded in 1985 but not released. Came out as a bonus track in
    2001 on Barking at Airplanes album.

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg-319.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	30573
    I heard she plays a killer Open Your Bette Davis Eyes.

Comment

You're on a roll!!! 😘

Comment

Nice. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
          No.

Comment

That’s rough. Keyboard bass, cheesy vocoder and eighties vapidness.

Comment

This was clearly modeled after the Buggles song. I doubt she ever heard of the Yes song.
              I guess it’s a reason to give Into The Lens another spin...

Comment

Here is a bit of insight from Kim herself... found here https://www.nashvillescene.com/music...7068ff263.html

Yeah, this is the 2001 CD from One Way/EMI Special Markets, with three extra tracks — it’s got “Forever,” the solo vocal version of “Make No Mistake,” and a cover of Yes’ “Into the Lens,” aka “I Am a Camera.”

OK, so “I Am a Camera” was an outtake, and we didn’t really like it. I love the song, and I love the original version, but when I tried to sing it I thought it was terrible. So I learned a lesson, which is if you’re recording for a record label and you don’t want something to come out, erase it. Never did I dream that they’d put that out. That was not supposed to be on there.

I think it’s incredible. I have a friend who is a huge prog fan, one of those folks who you can tell when he’s had too much to drink because he puts on The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

[Carnes laughs]

I played your version of “I Am a Camera” for him because he’s a huge Yes fan, and he declared, “This is better than Yes’ version.” So take that as a compliment.

I do, but I love that song, and I wanted to like my version of it, but it was not for me. Again, lesson learned. Surprise for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Yesjim View Post
                  Here is a bit of insight from Kim herself... found here https://www.nashvillescene.com/music...7068ff263.html

Yeah, this is the 2001 CD from One Way/EMI Special Markets, with three extra tracks — it’s got “Forever,” the solo vocal version of “Make No Mistake,” and a cover of Yes’ “Into the Lens,” aka “I Am a Camera.”

OK, so “I Am a Camera” was an outtake, and we didn’t really like it. I love the song, and I love the original version, but when I tried to sing it I thought it was terrible. So I learned a lesson, which is if you’re recording for a record label and you don’t want something to come out, erase it. Never did I dream that they’d put that out. That was not supposed to be on there.

I think it’s incredible. I have a friend who is a huge prog fan, one of those folks who you can tell when he’s had too much to drink because he puts on The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

[Carnes laughs]

I played your version of “I Am a Camera” for him because he’s a huge Yes fan, and he declared, “This is better than Yes’ version.” So take that as a compliment.

I do, but I love that song, and I wanted to like my version of it, but it was not for me. Again, lesson learned. Surprise for me.
                  Ok, she did know the Yes version.

Comment

I like her vocal. Especially when she hits those higher notes. I didn't know she had a pretty voice. I always thought she must have sounded like she smoked 10,000 non-filter cigs when she sang. Sure the music is 80's cheese and a funny vocoder, but I am surprised. Not too bad...

Comment

Oh wow, I haven't heard that since someone posted it on the old Yesfans.
                      Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
                      My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

I love everything about this video.

Comment

Fun.

Comment

Working...
                          X