Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider Drama as part of the YES 80's era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do see the format of Drama as being modeled after The Yes Album. Machine Messiah in particular is very similar in form to Yours is No Disgrace. It is then followed by a solo piece featuring a new member of the group. The coda section of Does it Really Happen could potentially develop into something like the end of Starship Trooper. Tempest Fugit would be like Perpetual Change.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
      I do see the format of Drama as being modeled after The Yes Album. Machine Messiah in particular is very similar in form to Yours is No Disgrace. It is then followed by a solo piece featuring a new member of the group. The coda section of Does it Really Happen could potentially develop into something like the end of Starship Trooper. Tempest Fugit would be like Perpetual Change.
      They were gonna call it THE NEW YES ALBUM. 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

They were gonna call it THE NEW YES ALBUM. 🤔
        Potentially renaming the band to Yes Zeppelin in the process.

Comment

Hell of an interesting question posed by Bill M! Well done.

This really is a ‘loner’, all to its own, standing there between the end of the 70’s, and well, everything after, for me.

Having to choose, I choose the 70’s as it’s place. The time between Drama and 90125 has always been a transitional point for me with the band, as well as my own personal life, so I think that has an impact on my perspective: Drama = into high school, and 90125 = into college.

I always loved Drama, among the first I actually got new close to release. It was in a time when I first started getting, and discovering, significantly more solo efforts of past members. I saw it as part of my big Yes collection, and love, and carried them all proudly out of the house to college thereafter. 90125 was my “new yes”....

side note - Does it really happen is my clear fav on the record, I could listen to that opening over and over and.....

Comment

It was the perfect bridge from 70's to 80's. You have Squire/White/Howe firing on all cylinders playing incredible in a more aggressive manner, yet the style of the songs and production very hip and current with 1980. For me it's a great balance and unique album, but definitely leaning more towards the 80's... The album from start to finish still sounds fresh to these ears

Comment

Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post
              It was the perfect bridge from 70's to 80's. You have Squire/White/Howe firing on all cylinders playing incredible in a more aggressive manner, yet the style of the songs and production very hip and current with 1980. For me it's a great balance and unique album, but definitely leaning more towards the 80's... The album from start to finish still sounds fresh to these ears
              Did people think of it as a bridge at the time or was it in retrospect years later?

Comment

Drama was a fairly good asterisk

Comment

Did people think of it as a bridge at the time or was it in retrospect years later?
                  I think at the time Yes may have viewed it as the beginning of part two of the band's career, and had the intention of barreling forward into the 80's with that particular lineup as the 'New Yes'. I think some may have seen it as a bridge after the fact, and many considered a misstep for the longest time. Or they may have seen it as a strange entry in their history: "...and THEN there was the time they hired the Buggles to replace Jon Anderson..." type narrative. Fortunately, Drama has enjoyed a resurgence/reassessment in the way Genesis have been reassessing the same era's Duke album in recent times.

I think maybe Yes needed to split up and then come back to restart their fortunes, resetting their trajectory. Drama was a completely new and exciting direction which maybe didn't take off the way it should have because it came out too close to the end of the 70's rather than further into the 80's. I wonder if Yes had split after Tormato or even a officially realized Paris album, and came back with Drama in 1982, would that incarnation and album have fared better? Was Drama too ahead of schedule by a notch? Could 'Run Through The Light' have been a 'hit'? Questions for an inquiring Panther.

Comment

It caps off that era stylistically so neatly, and then they actually broke up and ceased to be Yes. I guess I'm in the 70s era camp. Or to answer the question accurately: no.

Drama is amazing, you hear me Chris from high school? I was kind of taught that Drama wasn't good by my high school Yes ambassador.

Comment

The only thing I know at the time was Chris, Alan, and Steve wanted to do something with more edge and modern/hip, compared to the airy/fairy new age stuff Jon and Rick wanted to do (see Paris Sessions). When I discovered the album, it was after first hearing BG, 90125, TYA, Fragile, and Relayer. It seemed to me like a bridge from 70's type playing to a modern hipper sound with more edge indeed. At first I thought the idea of a Yes album without Anderson (and Wakeman to a lesser degree) wouldn't work. But Drama remains in my top 3 Yes albums alongside Close To The Edge and Relayer!

Comment

Think the Bridge analogy is near perfect.

As by mixing with new people and ideas it smoothed the way for Alan, Chris, Tony to meet another new dude Trevor Rabin and create anew.

A new decade. A new direction.

But bring Jon back. Hehhheeehee

Comment

Is this an Ice Bridge you're talking about?
                          Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
                          My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Wolf View Post
                            Is this an Ice Bridge you're talking about?
                            I've been on the record here, previously, sayin' the new album should've been called The Ice Bridge.

A cool specific title like The Ipcress File or The Eiger Sanction. The Quest feels a bit generic. The Saga. The Journey. The Story.

The upcoming gig should be Fanfare to Forevermore.
                            Open with TIB. Close with ALI.

Comment

i love it but its 80's

Comment

It seems like the poll is almost evenly split.

It would be interesting to find how people who were already fans of YES when Drama came out voted as opposed to those who discovered YES later.

I would think that Drama represented the end of an era (the last Yes album) for most who were following Yes at the time. That would be until the reincarnation happened a few years later with 90125.

I could also imagine that some who discovered Yes later might look at the catalogue as a sequence of albums and even note that the gap before 90125 is smaller than the one after. Perhaps the disbandment of YES after Drama might not seem as pronounced.

Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Working...
                                X