X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davy
    replied
    Originally posted by carlmarx38 View Post

Just listened to the YESSONGS version of "Starship Trooper" earlier today....still not sure they've ever out-done that version (especially Wakeman's solo at the end) !
    Sorry to troll, not being mean, but other people have said that as well, and I just don't get it. Those early live versions of Starship Trooper (and a few other songs) sound like the band hadn't quite figured out how to get the song across, nor is Jon's singing that good (IMO he sounds way better on the GFTO and Tourmato tours.) Whether it was technology, the band streamlining their playing, or simply getting better, the Yes (and Jon Anderson) of 1972 and 1978 sound like two different bands.

Last edited by Davy; 01-29-2022, 09:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    So presume Atlantic own the rights along with the band? All part of some big conglomerate media company. Say not owned by Rupert Murdoch.

The PR may lean into celebrating Prog's Greatest Album as voted by fans and critics for years. New interviews with Offord, Lane, Dean, Wakeman, Howe, Bruford, Anderson. Dedicated to Squire. Who when he died had a full page obit in the main paper in this city.

Maybe a youtube campaign with Rick Beato content. Prog magazine, Uncut, Mojo.
    Was surprised no big anniversary release for Fragile. In the age of streaming a physical product would be to woo the diehard and curious young hipster. Imagine getting your next coffee, and some young dude with skinny jeans and a moustache is raving about this amazing music to his barista mate. Casually mention you saw them live in 03.

With news dropped in a media interview by Rick that he is lunching with Howe soon, can't help but think about that other old Yes cover....something's coming. Actually just watched Spielberg's West Side.

gold standard classics should be revived and celebrated!

Close to the Edge 2022.
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 01-28-2022, 08:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied

Nice.....I've actually recently rediscovered YESSONGS, after many years of listening to the newer, Updated versions of these classics. Your "Highlights" story sounds like me and "The Quest" (still haven't listened !! ). My favorite songs from YESSONGS are still all the songs from the previous tour with Bruford : "Perpetual Change" (best version ever from YESSONGS imho), and "LDR/The Fish"......of all the amazing Chris solo's through the years, and different versions of "Fish" and "Whitefish".....there will never be a version which tops YESSONGS (and I challenge Anyone who disagrees with me !!). Just listened to the YESSONGS version of "Starship Trooper" earlier today....still not sure they've ever out-done that version (especially Wakeman's solo at the end) !
    Bruford's solo at the end of Perpetual Change is perfection! And probably on a very small, basic kit.
    Chris and Steve's interplay is a wonder. Totally locked together but still playing with freedom and verve.

Leave a comment:

• carlmarx38
    replied
    Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post

My DNA is hard wired to compare any and every other version to YESSONGS. Not just CTTE. It just isn’t fair to the others. 😆. And all of em are fabulous. Progeny is a wonderful gift we got.

I got the highlites CD cause I’m a completist. Never even opened it - it just sits there looking good.

Funny Progeny story - my wonderful wife ordered all of the versions for me - box, hilites, and vinyl that year as a gift - and I got TWO vinyls in the mail - got an extra one by mistake free!! 👍😊

Nice.....I've actually recently rediscovered YESSONGS, after many years of listening to the newer, Updated versions of these classics. Your "Highlights" story sounds like me and "The Quest" (still haven't listened !! ). My favorite songs from YESSONGS are still all the songs from the previous tour with Bruford : "Perpetual Change" (best version ever from YESSONGS imho), and "LDR/The Fish"......of all the amazing Chris solo's through the years, and different versions of "Fish" and "Whitefish".....there will never be a version which tops YESSONGS (and I challenge Anyone who disagrees with me !!). Just listened to the YESSONGS version of "Starship Trooper" earlier today....still not sure they've ever out-done that version (especially Wakeman's solo at the end) !

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

How many LPs per show? 2 like the CDs? That's a chunk of shelf space!
    Haha. Yeah I wish. Lol. It’s a 3LP mix of shows also. That would have been a helluva a marketing ploy to put them all out right. For a sucker like me!!

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post

My DNA is hard wired to compare any and every other version to YESSONGS. Not just CTTE. It just isn’t fair to the others. 😆. And all of em are fabulous. Progeny is a wonderful gift we got.

I got the highlites CD cause I’m a completist. Never even opened it - it just sits there looking good.

Funny Progeny story - my wonderful wife ordered all of the versions for me - box, hilites, and vinyl that year as a gift - and I got TWO vinyls in the mail - got an extra one by mistake free!! 👍😊
    How many LPs per show? 2 like the CDs? That's a chunk of shelf space!

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Thanks ASH for your input......I love the different versions of YIND.......crazy, cool, improvised stuff on some of the versions.......although thank god for Eddie Offord, he obviously did an amazing job of picking some of the best versions.....I am close to agreeing that YESSONGS is still the ultimate document of CTTE Live !

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Thanks ASH for your input......I love the different versions of YIND.......crazy, cool, improvised stuff on some of the versions.......although thank god for Eddie Offord, he obviously did an amazing job of picking some of the best versions.....I am close to agreeing that YESSONGS is still the ultimate document of CTTE Live !
    I'm still hoping there'll be a 'fixed' version of Yessongs comparable to the job done on Progeny. It'll be the 50th anniversary of that next year, so who knows what might materialise? The full set from the 1972 Fragile tour with Bill would be wonderful, and the full concert/s from the Rainbow that are on the Yessongs film, and from which Close to the Edge and Starship Trooper on Yessongs come would make me very happy.

Leave a comment:

• carlmarx38
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    I find it rather odd and confusing that out of 35 posts for this album/tour, hardly anyone has even mentioned the Mammoth 14-Disc set commemorating the CTTE Tour.....called "Progeny" (for those who are oblivious to its existence),and consists of the majority of SEVEN complete shows from the CTTE tour..... several threads on this release were put out on the old yesfans.com site, I had a thread on the old site, but it is now defunct (if anyone knows if anyone has archived any of the old threads please let me know). My last thread on this release was asking fans what they thought were the best versions. For me personally, I was never confident that the "Highlights" version released by Rhino included the best versions of the songs from the set.
    I think the highlights set was intended to exclude the versions on Yessongs, understandably, and also the performances that picked up radio broadcasts, or contained other dropouts, errors, glitches that couldn't be fixed, or Kehew opted not to try and fix.
    I bought both the boxset and the highlights set when they came out in May 2015. Honestly, despite the number of times I've listened to them all, I couldn't single any performance of any song from any other song based on any subjective criteria. I don't think my inner ear processes what I hear like that. Each performance is a one-off piece of time, all different because they occupy different moments in time, and that holds true, I think, both for those fortunate few who were there at the time those performances were given, and for us now whenever we listen to those recordings in our own space and time. There is no 'best', nor should there be, nor do I wish to try and discern if there might be, because while I'm doing that, I'm not listening to the music in that moment. My attentio is either cast back to a version I listened to previously, or thinking ahead to the one I'll listen to afterwards. It's not attending to the one I'm experiencing at this, never-to-be-repeated-or-revisited moment.

I'll shut up now. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• carlmarx38
    replied
    I find it rather odd and confusing that out of 35 posts for the impending anniversay this album/tour, hardly anyone has even mentioned the Mammoth 14-Disc set commemorating the CTTE Tour.....called "Progeny" (for those who are oblivious to its existence),and consists of the majority of SEVEN complete shows from the CTTE tour..... several threads on this release were put out on the old yesfans.com site, I had a thread on the old site, but it is now defunct (if anyone knows if anyone has archived any of the old threads please let me know). My last thread on this release was asking fans what they thought were the best versions. For me personally, I was never confident that the "Highlights" version released by Rhino included the best versions of the songs from the set.
    Last edited by carlmarx38; 01-28-2022, 05:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ceasar’s Palace
    replied
    Originally posted by John Vehadija View Post

Ok, maybe an acoustic version
    There’s a version with Rick on solo piano. Sounds better than you might think.

Leave a comment:

• kilianltia
    replied
    What I mostly hope for is some sort of "evolutions" type disc in the style of Keep That One Nick on the KC Larks Tongues box set or a Classic Albums type documentary.

Leave a comment:

• PeterCologne
    replied
    Originally posted by John Vehadija View Post

Ok, maybe an acoustic version
    Whatever you want... it's your dream

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    I’ve got at least a dozen LPs, half dozen CDs, couple cassettes, and an 8-Track.

If there were a million of me, that would be 21 Milllion sold.

😆😆😆😆😆

Leave a comment:

Working...
X