Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite version of Close To The Edge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favorite version of Close To The Edge?

So I really like the Yessymphonic Version, and for the speed the Yessongs version
    "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

Yes symphonic for me. The climax is beyond. Great use of orchestra. Still my fave live dvd. Will we see another orchestra tour with Steve's mate and the MACEDONIAN ALLSTARS!

Comment

Yessongs version all the way for me… The organ solo section continues to send a shiver down my spine every time I hear it, after good lord 35 years of listening to it… It's a tricky solo to get right, not least because Wakeman could, in later tours, make some "unfortunate" choices in keyboard sounds… But it also speaks to Alan White's amazing transition to the group, and how quickly he was able to bring the material to life. Huzzah!

Comment

The album version.

Comment

The original studio version stands as a statement of creative musical intent without peer.
          Symphonic version is great.
          I'd love to have a professional or soundboard recording from the Going For The One tour. What I've heard on boots, and what I remember from the 3 shows I saw in 77, leave me thinking they'd blow the lid of most other live performances from other tours.
          Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
          Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Maybe the late 74 version from Boston Gardens with Patrick Moraz, it swings enormously and Steve gets really wild.

Comment

Have to agree with 1974! I've often thought that they were at their wildest in 1974. Been listening to the 4-16-74 Germany show. SK, CTTE, Ancient....wow! Plus the first part of the year was Wakeman/Topographic, then the end of the year was Moraz/Relayer. Would love to relive those shows....

Comment

Yessongs and Masterworks with Igor versions of this, the best song ever written

Comment

The ABWH with Jeff Berlin on bass get a mention from me. There's a point in the first few bars when Bruford lets out a machine gun snare that moves me every time. But the Symphonic version probably nudges ahead. BTW, isn't the church organ bit in the Yessongs version overdubbed?

Steve

Comment

Tough call. They are all favorites, but I think the 1977 tour versions are absolutely insane. I really don’t think they ever topped those versions as far as intensity goes. Watch Alan White on the Glasgow video from that year… amazing stuff. Steve was pretty insane on all of the 70’s versions, especially from the Tales tour on. I think the LA Forum 3-18-1974 show is pretty high up there for me. Yessongs of course… Masterworks… the version on the Symphonic Dvd might be the one I go with when I have a gun to my head. The emotional wallop I get from that one is unreal. That whole Amsterdam 2001 concert is a real career highlight for them if you ask me.
                    Last edited by Chrisklenox; 11-17-2021, 11:07 PM.

Comment

https://youtu.be/B1V2kiImdUY

Comment

has to be the original
                        The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                        -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                        -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

1- YESSONGS.
                          2- Original.
                          3 - All the rest....LOL.

I can listen to any version any era any time!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X