12 Inches On Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 Inches On Tape

Thought about this EP tonight, 12 Inches On Tape. Basically it's Owner and Leave It, with their respective remixes, Owner Of A Lonely Heart Red & Blue mix and Leave It Hello Goodbye mix. I've always liked the two mixes, futuristic and fun. Though in reality, these are more Art Of Noise than Yes - "Fun with a Fairlight Sampler, Vol. I)". Actually, it probably IS Art Of Noise. The two mixes for the 90125 hits are more interesting and keeping with the Yes adventurous spirit than the mixes for the Big Generator hits (Rhythm Of Love and Love Will Find A Way), which were basically just your predictable 'dance mix/extended mix' type thing. The remix game can be done tastefully, but can be often abused. To me, it's better to reconstruct the song than to just add beats or fuse parts together to make it longer. Some cool Owner 1991 remixes around the time of Union are out there too.

I don't think 12 Inches On Tape was ever released on CD. I think the Red & Blue mix ended up as a bonus track on the Rhino reissue, but I don't think the Leave It Hello Goodbye mix is available. Too bad that wasn't included as well. Any thoughts on 12 Inches On Tape?

Thought this thread was about the new Pamela and Tommy film. As you were.

Comment

I always liked the Hello Goodbye Mix of Leave It. I think I actually still have it as a 12" vinyl single, though I haven't even had my turntable hooked up in years. It's a shame that it wasn't included on the deluxe edition of 90125.

Comment

I still have the tape somewhere, but it's probably deteriorated by now. I must have bought it from the $3.99 discount cassette section at Sam Goody back then.

Comment

I have something called "Twelve Inches on Disc" as MP3s but I have no idea where I got it. It has several remixes of Owner, one is called "Dance Mix" which may be the "Red & Blue" mix. There are remixes of several other songs, including New State of Mind. (!) It came out in 1997. I'd have to did through my CDs to get more info.

P.S. Whoops, couldn't find a CD, no comment on where I got the MP3s.

But I do still have the original cassette! Alas my cassette deck died during my move 15 years ago.
          Last edited by Grey Wolf; 02-11-2022, 11:19 AM.
          Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
          My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin View Post
            I always liked the Hello Goodbye Mix of Leave It. I think I actually still have it as a 12" vinyl single, though I haven't even had my turntable hooked up in years. It's a shame that it wasn't included on the deluxe edition of 90125.

P.S. Help, I've fallen down a rabbit hole of Yes remixes!
            Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Wolf View Post

P.S. Help, I've fallen down a rabbit hole of Yes remixes!
              Yep, that's what it looked like. I just burrowed into my coat closet and found mine.

Comment

Put this one in your Setlist....1991 Trevor Horn Remix :

Comment

I like this one also :

Comment

I had the cassette version of "12 inches on tape". I remember listening to the remixes for the first time & thinking "woah, now that's different!" but grew to like them a lot.

Comment

The 1991 mixes are cool. When it comes to remixes, I tend to go for the more trancey or techno-y ones rather than the 'dance mix' or drawn-out extended type affair.

I remember the 1984 EP of the Red & Blue mix came in a gray sleeve with a yellow 90125 pie/symbol over top of it. The Hello Goodbye mix came in a cool orange sleeve. It may not have been Roger Dean, but the graph/computer data imagery of the 90125 era was ok by me. Big Gen graphics, not as much.

Comment

I am guessing I have all of the 12” EPs that came
                        out for 90125 and Big Gen. And the Owner mixes cd from ‘91 I believe someone said. I never had the 12” on tape cassette when I actually had a working cassette
                        player 😆. Just recently saw it for a buck at the flea market so grabbed it for the collection.

I like the 12” every now and then - will put on the Leave it accapella more than most. The non generic cover releases do look pretty cool.

The 12” on cd I am sure was a boot release, maybe silver, not sure, or cdrs, have it and only put it on if i am too lazy to grab the vinyls.

Comment

Since I've dug out my vinyl and set up my turntable for the first time in 15 years, I remembered this discussion of the remixes. Here's the vinyl I have, plus my oval shaped copy of "Owner":

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220219 - Yes Remixes.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	7880
                          Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf

Comment

Originally posted by brianos View Post
                            I had the cassette version of "12 inches on tape". I remember listening to the remixes for the first time & thinking "woah, now that's different!" but grew to like them a lot.
                            I had the cassette version, too…I lost the thing in a move (Western MA to LA, if I recall correctly). I hoped that I’d miraculously find it in the move from LA to PA, some twenty years later. Alas, it was not to be. 😞

Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Comment

Am I imagining this, or did they end some shows in the 80’s by playing on of those remixes of Leave It through the PA after the show ended and the lights came up? I think it was the Hello/Goodbye mix. I seem to recall filing out toward the exit and they would play that

Comment

Working...
                              X