Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9nine and "Owner"

Have we discussed...

This is 9nine, who worked with Trevor Horn (remotely) on "SunSunRise" for "The Reflection Wave One" anime. They also sample "Relax". But this is before then.

The song made #11 in Japan. I can't see whether Rabin et al. were actually credited in the songwriting.

lmao I mean its clearly VERY different to the original, basically a new song, just the riff essentially (though I dont understand Japanese, its clearly very different phrasing). Japan always had some love for Yes anyways, good to see.
    Last edited by soundchaser09; 10-16-2022, 11:33 AM.
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Unrecognisable.

Have a fond memory of girlbands in shoppin' centers. Took my daughter aged 13 to see B*witched. An Irish girlband. She met them at the signin' and on the train home she said it was the best day of her life in all sincerity!!!

Also. On the choreography. Reminiscent of Janet Jackson's New Jack Swing style.

Got nothin' else.

Seem nice girls.
      Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 10-17-2022, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Um. Wow. Like watching a train wreck.

Yeah, the riff is - ahem - "lifted", but, then again, it IS a pretty generic riff. And only the six notes - I doubt there will be any penalty for THAT.

I giggled when they lifted the "Ode toJoy" theme from Beethoven's 9th Symphony, altering it into a minor key for the end of the phrase.

Performing in a mall to a backing track. Sigh. Are they actually singing, or are they lip-synching? And almost entirely unison singing, only a single harmony line during the first chorus.

Dancing wasn't especially tight; not even Disney Theme Park quality. They seem worn out and tired. And the choreography was pretty generic - I've seen better moves in high school productions. But I do appreciate how the choreography is arranged so you instantly know which singer to focus on when their solo line comes up.

The song itself isn't really anything special though. "Do, te do, te do te do re me re". I could swear I've heard that melody line somewhere before.

Somewhat interesting that they're wearing the same costumes they're wearing in the banner behind them.

Comment

They’ve got nothing on Chris Squire’s dance moves.

Comment

And the title, Evolution No. 9, is lifted from the Beatles.
            It might’ve seemed all new to their fans back in 2013, but to old rock fans like us, they certainly wear their influences,
            well,
            somewhere, they don’t have any sleeves.

Comment

Interpolating the Million Dollar Riff is something a few songs have done since the original release. This is one of the more interesting uses of it, I think.
              Rabin-esque
              my labor of love (and obsessive research)
              rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                Also. On the choreography. Reminiscent of Janet Jackson's New Jack Swing style.
                Which was the work of Paula Abdul.
                Rabin-esque
                my labor of love (and obsessive research)
                rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post
                  lmao I mean its clearly VERY different to the original, basically a new song, just the riff essentially (though I dont understand Japanese, its clearly very different phrasing). Japan always had some love for Yes anyways, good to see.
                  Indeed. When I worked at a university in Japan in the early 90s, imagine my surprise when I walked to the campus cafeteria for lunch and saw a student band performing YIND! And they did a good job of it!

Comment

Working...
                  X